Tourist Says Taxis Are Tarnishing Chiang Mai Image

webfact

Chiang Mai has some of the most reasonable and honest taxi/transport services in Thailand, this complainer obviously hasn't been to Samui or Phuket! Here's the situation;

the transport in Chiang Mai is dominated by red songteaws, about 3,000 of them (for a population of 300,000!) which are organised by a well establish Sri-Lanna Taxi Association (effectively an untouchable mafia), they are a traffic nuisance but always available, cheap, honest, and will take you anywhere in the city for under 50 baht, that's what this tourist should bave used.

Then there are tuktuks lurking in tourist areas, offering shorter rides for about 60-100 baht, not a rip off but not the cheapest. They are useful at night or outside tourist sites.

The metered taxis were only introduced a few years ago and generally operate from the airport or outside key points like Airport Plaza. Since they aren't allowed (by the taxi mafia) to trawl the streets, they generally only survive by agreeing set fees (since they can't pick up someone off the street for the return journey), but generally don't overcharge severely like some of the islands. They are under the semi supervision of the taxi association.

Then there is a bus service, introduced a few years back after much haggling between the mayor and the taxi mafia, but they are confined to set routes and the city council has to pay the taxi mafia a compensation fee to keep the songteaws off those routes.

Best thing to do in Chiang Mai is rent a scooter!

yes, the drivers in CM obviously way way better than down south, but i still wouldn't call them honest. The fare to go anywhere within the city is 15 baht, that is what I pay every time I get into a songthaew in CM. I usually catch the songthaews from around Worarot Market, as the ones that are in motion especially around the moat always ask for more. If they ask for 20, i just wait for another, because nobody is paying 20 except for tourists. The other day, i went all the way to Bo Sang Umbrella market...the white songthaew drivers are more apt to charge the correct price, which is 15 baht to go 9 km, way past the ring road, way out of town...so this nonsense that the red songthaews cant make ends meet because of the price of petrol blah blah blah blah blah is nonsense. The price is 15 baht, period. I do find CM tuk tuk drivers far easier going than southerners. I was with 3 others and we wanted to do a short jaunt from the old town to the Worarot market. The guy asked for 100, we told him we'd just take a songthaew for 15 each, and he immediately dropped to 60. Then again, if you dont speak Thai, you will pay more. Several times in red songthaews, after asking the driver, "15 baht, right?", i have seen him pick up farangs and tell them 20 or 30.

We invariably pay 20 baht for Song Thiaow in CM which my wife is happy that it is the current price, although mostly we use tuk tuk to go anywhere, and we get a fair price without resorting to haggling, if the price is unreasonable just hail another tuk tuk, but that happens rarely. And, Bus service has been defunct from very shortly after it was implemented, Mafia would not tolerate it.

Try to get a taxi in Oslo for that and see how you go is what I'd say to him!!!Selective professional complainer who has nothing else better to do by the looks of it!

My thoughts exactly,CM the last place in Thailand where you would expect to here transport complaints.

Chiang Mai has some of the most reasonable and honest taxi/transport services in Thailand, this complainer obviously hasn't been to Samui or Phuket! Here's the situation;

the transport in Chiang Mai is dominated by red songteaws, about 3,000 of them (for a population of 300,000!) which are organised by a well establish Sri-Lanna Taxi Association (effectively an untouchable mafia), they are a traffic nuisance but always available, cheap, honest, and will take you anywhere in the city for under 50 baht, that's what this tourist should bave used.

Then there are tuktuks lurking in tourist areas, offering shorter rides for about 60-100 baht, not a rip off but not the cheapest. They are useful at night or outside tourist sites.

The metered taxis were only introduced a few years ago and generally operate from the airport or outside key points like Airport Plaza. Since they aren't allowed (by the taxi mafia) to trawl the streets, they generally only survive by agreeing set fees (since they can't pick up someone off the street for the return journey), but generally don't overcharge severely like some of the islands. They are under the semi supervision of the taxi association.

Then there is a bus service, introduced a few years back after much haggling between the mayor and the taxi mafia, but they are confined to set routes and the city council has to pay the taxi mafia a compensation fee to keep the songteaws off those routes.

Best thing to do in Chiang Mai is rent a scooter!

virtualtraveller,i live here in chiang mai for three year's now and,i totally disagree with your post.The majority of the tuk tuk's here always rip off the tourists and charge outrages amounts for short distance's....ie 80 to 100 baht for a trip from central mall to hillside three.Sure,it's cheap compared to our western or european countrie's but,why should a foreigner as a tourist or expat in this city pay more then a thai?A thai can go anywhere within the inner part of the moat for 50 baht.So,why should we pay 80 to 100 for the same distance.And,why do you think the songtaew is a menace to traffic?Atleast they are safer and drive more careful then the tuk tuk driver's,many of whom are or have been drinking beer or whisky.I know this because i use the tpt system here in this city a lot and have made friend's with a red taxi driver who informed me of many scams used by the taxi's here.

As for the meter taxi's,they are a joke.Meter taxi but never use the meter.I make frequent trip's to bangkok and when i return via air,i always see those taxi booth's in the airport and the ladies saying meter taxi,100 baht to downtown.Whenever i take one from the airport to hillside three they take a shothcut through the airbase which takes 7 to 8 min drive but still charge 100 baht.Now,since the beginning of high season i don't see the booth's now saying meter taxi 100 baht.I assume it's because they want to charge the incoming tourists more for their travel to whatever hotel they are going to.And BTW,now i collect my bag's go outside and wait for a incoming songtaew whenever i arrive at the airport.My hat is off to the norweigan gentleman for bringing this problem to surface.Hopefully something will be done about it.But,i doubt it very much.

Hmm, been here 3 years, still getting treated like a tourist? must be behaving like a tourist to still be treated so after all that time.

Yes, London cab drivers are well trained (navigation-wise) they have to be, otherwise they wouldn't get their licence, but there are also negative aspects, many Hackney cab drivers are bad mannered, are arrogant, and consider themselves king of the road in relation to other car drivers.

And just see how many of them will give you a hand with your luggage.

yes, the drivers in CM obviously way way better than down south, but i still wouldn't call them honest. The fare to go anywhere within the city is 15 baht, that is what I pay every time I get into a songthaew in CM. I usually catch the songthaews from around Worarot Market, as the ones that are in motion especially around the moat always ask for more. If they ask for 20, i just wait for another, because nobody is paying 20 except for tourists.

This is incorrect. The "official" price for red songtaews if the driver does not ask for more is actually 15 baht, but Thais - and most residents - have been paying 20 baht for years because of high fuel prices. However, for long distances or going off the beaten track the driver will usually ask for more and will not take a passenger who refuses - and that includes locals. It has always been done this way and it is perfectly legal.

Other color songtaews might seem more reasonable because their official rates are lower, but usually only if your stop is on their usual route.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hate to disagree with UG, but the red songtaew rate is 15 baht on the route they are going. I ride them around the old city area instead of looking for parking. The locals more often than not give them 15 baht or as I do, if no coins, give 20 baht. The 20 baht started about 2 or 3 year back when the drivers tried to raise price and were subsequently informed that 15 baht is the local/city government approved price and they cannot legally raise price.

I honestly think some people are living in a bubble and just pop out now and again to have a rant n' rave to 'relieve' themselves...In this guys case he brings it on himself to write a letter to the Thai Tourist police complaining of being ripped off to the princely tune of what is it .....30/40 baht??Let's put a few things into perspective here...he's lucky he isn't living down in Phuket for starters or actually a taxi driver here, as these people in Chiang Mai also have to try and etch out a living for themselves just like everyone else...Inflation isn't immune from Thais' neither..does he think fares just 'stand still'?!!Many of the taxi drivers I spoke to up in Chiang Mai have to pay a rent lease to the owners and then pay for the fuel and all other associated costs that may arise.A taxi driver got out of bed at 4-30a.m to get me to the airport for the first flight out...he'd got to bed at 11-30p.m. that night and hadn't even seen his child that day!!!Could say a few things..but not worth it as the guys not worth time of day!!!

Try to get a taxi in Oslo for that and see how you go is what I'd say to him!!!Selective professional complainer who has nothing else better to do by the looks of it!

My thoughts exactly,CM the last place in Thailand where you would expect to here transport complaints.

Edited by sydneyjed

hmmm, seems like this guy hasn't travelled to Phuket or Samui lately, or else he would really know the definition of "rip-off".

CNX is one of the best places to get around the city, by songtheow (may need to negotiate if you are a big nose). Can be 15 up to 80 baht, depends on where you hail them, and where you are going. The tuk tuks are con artists like everywhere else in Thailand, but generally don't pay more 100 baht any time of day or night. :Everyathing is negotiable, and there is always another coming around the corner.

The taxis are great, especially if you are going to or from the airport (and have baggage). But i always insist on a meter or find another taxi, because the meter price will ALWAYS be cheaper (especially in Phuket). The songtheows don't run from the airport unless they are dropping someone off... so either have to wait or walk to the Airport Central Mall (which I've done, out of principle).

All in all, CNX is a good city for local transport, but i usually rent a motorbike, or a car at the airport if I bring my family....

Hate to disagree with UG, but the red songtaew rate is 15 baht on the route they are going. I ride them around the old city area instead of looking for parking. The locals more often than not give them 15 baht or as I do, if no coins, give 20 baht. The 20 baht started about 2 or 3 year back when the drivers tried to raise price and were subsequently informed that 15 baht is the local/city government approved price and they cannot legally raise price.

Well maybe no one has correct change as I always see Thais paying 20 baht and not getting anything back. I always wondered why poor Thais would pay more when the official rate is 15 baht. :blink:

Edited by Ulysses G.

February 3, he hailed a taxi from Robinson Airport Mall to his hotel, but was told the price was Bt120. He told the taxi driver to use the metre but was told that taxis in Chiang Mai only charged a lump sum amount. Holterud compared this behaviour to that of London taxi drivers who are well-trained and deliver a fair service to passengers, and urged Chiang Mai to solve this issue so as to maintain its image.

IS 120 Baht for a taxi that much of a rip off? Yes London taxi drivers maybe well trained but.......a fair service, a similiar distance in a black cab assuming the tourist was going into the city centre would cost around 5 times that price in the UK.

Roc 634 beat me to it

If you justify a Thai ripoff by comparing it to London ripoffs, then would you be happy to pay 5 pounds for a cheese sandwich (250 baht) ?? Oh well you probably eat at Subways.....

If Thai ripoffs are tolerated by foreigners, then they will get worse, not better, and more Thai people will come to regard foreigners as stupid people who deserve to be ripped off.

If you want to donate to Thai charities your hard-earned money, then give it to some more deserving causes...

The official price for a taxi from the airport to hotels in downtown Chiang Mai is 120 baht, If the guy got ripped off when he was charged 120 baht from Airport Plaza I'd say IF he was ripped off at all it would have been about 10 baht Max, not much of a big deal for me but obviously for you and the guy who wrote to the tourist police it is :rolleyes:

Well maybe no one has correct change as I always see Thais paying 20 baht and not getting anything back. I always wondered why poor Thais would pay more when the official rate is 15 baht. :blink:

My wife a Chiang Mai lass born and bred always pays 20 Baht, I haven't noticed anyone paying less than this... I'll give the 15 baht fare a go next time I'm in town, should be interesting, I'll post the results

From a guy whose from a country where it costs an arm and a leg to have a coffee and you need to take out a second mortgage in order to buy a beer !!!You really do wonder sometimes what makes these people tick or what sort of a sad ,sorry life they must lead...Pathetic!!!

What irks is not the money, it's the lack of consistency and logic. Yes, there are much much worse things to complain about and solve, but is that not always the case? A Bangkok taxi driver pays the same fuel prices as a Chiang Mai taxi driver. Costs of living in Chiang Mai are still lower than they are in Bangkok. Yet, the meter system works reasonably well in Bangkok, but not in Chiang Mai. That would be the main point. I agree with it. The explanation by virtualtraveller does seem to make sense, if it is correct or not I don't know - I've heard before and believe that the songthaews are trying to block other attempts at providing transport, but I never heard the specifics stated here. Interesting if true, it does explain why they won't use the meter. It's not acceptable that a songthaew interest group should dictate the city's transport policy.

Taxi drivers are not easy. The taxi fare is probably the cheapest in the world already. It's not comparable at all. How many meters can you go for 120 Baht in London. What you pay is what you get.

anyother "but in my home country " - nonsense.

in the UK the average monthly salary isn't just 180 Pounds Sterling, isn't it ?

the taxi in the UK is probably cheaper than in CM, considering the general cost of living and the average salary.

So why shouldn't taxi drivers in Chiang Mai not be allowed to make a decent living?No it isn't the UK or Australia taxi system(thank God)but just like there though inflation is relevant in Thailand as well...they are not immune to world oil prices...so why can't they put their taxi fares up and what 'exorbinant' price are we talking about here...50p extra...a dollar?Just try catching a cab in Sydney to and from the airport and you'll realise how lucky you are!!

Taxi drivers are not easy. The taxi fare is probably the cheapest in the world already. It's not comparable at all. How many meters can you go for 120 Baht in London. What you pay is what you get.

anyother "but in my home country " - nonsense.

in the UK the average monthly salary isn't just 180 Pounds Sterling, isn't it ?

the taxi in the UK is probably cheaper than in CM, considering the general cost of living and the average salary.

what to complain when the pound is multiplied by 50 in Thailand.

If taxi drivers in Thailand are forced to use meters, they may do what more than a couple Filipino taxi drivers do. They wire the meter so that when they hit the brakes the meter goes up a notch. Seen it more than once personally. Had read about it and now know it is true. Wonder why the Thais haven't come up with that one yet...

better taxi in BKK

in Koh Samui realy - taxi big shit, becouse Nathon pier to Maenam price 300-400 THB - its not normal, only 10-12 km, but its any place where have a lot tourist

if scity have a lot touris everytime its city slow-slow-slow but will shit, phuket, koh samui, ptt - its example

but taxi in CM very good, becouse CM have taxi-service with fixed price

old city-superheigway (OMG my english :lol:) 150 THB, next around rofl + 120 THB, next around road + 120 THB

but its a little not normal too, becouse CM have place where drive between first around road and second around road only 2-3 km, and if you pay extra 120 THB for 2-3 km its not normal

if taxi service will work with taximeter its will better but for it taxi need driver to all city road, not only still airport or big market

i hope you understand my english :lol:

imho

:jap:

My wife a Chiang Mai lass born and bred always pays 20 Baht, I haven't noticed anyone paying less than this... I'll give the 15 baht fare a go next time I'm in town, should be interesting, I'll post the results

I was in town today and all the red buses myself and wife used wanted 20 baht a piece for the journey, 30 baht for the two of us wasn't excepted. We asked other passengers all locals and they paid 20 baht for trips in the city even the 10 year old boy travelling from Airport Plaza to Kad Luang.

I never ask the price of the red songtaw around chiangmai

I get on once they agree to take me, I get off, I hand them 20bht

Sometimes I have problems finding one to take me where I want to go, so I just do it in two stages, each stage costing 20 bht (very expensive but fast)

The yellow songtaws driving fixed routes are cheaper

ChiangMai gate to San Patong (20km) is 20 bht (price is less if you get off earlier)

White songtaw wororat market to Doi Saket via Bo Sang is 15 bht (no matter where you get off)

Yellow songtaw from wororat market to Doi Saket via 118 is 17 bht (less if you get off sooner)

Edited by sarahsbloke