The Emasculated Farang

mrmazinkle

I too don't see any reason why anyone should get married. Marriage is a legal contract unless you're religious & promises such as 'till death us do part' can just as easily be made in a non-legal ceremony; marriage has little to do with 'romance'.:blink:

Legal contracts, such as joint ownership of a house, can easily be drawn up outside of marriage & I believe that now, at least in the UK, it is possible to nominate a 'significant other' for the purposes of life insurance, pensions, wills etc.:ph34r:

What's wrong with marrying someone for their money?

We all make choices in life for different reasons. The only thing you have to realize is what the consequences might be when you make a financial decision based purely on emotion..

I really don't see a reason why any man should ever get married to anyone.

Maybe you should go to the bookstore and pick up a book on sociology? You know, just so you can sort of fake having and understanding human emotions. This way you don't have to walk around like an Android in a Spielberg movie going "What is love?", "Why are your eyes leaking?" or "Why is that woman caring for that tiny child and not feasting on her".

Maybe you should go to the bookstore and pick up a book on sociology? You know, just so you can sort of fake having and understanding human emotions. This way you don't have to walk around like an Android in a Spielberg movie going "What is love?", "Why are your eyes leaking?" or "Why is that woman caring for that tiny child and not feasting on her".

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

What does any of that have to do with getting married? Maybe, you're watching too many Spielberg movies and soap operas Those same questions have been asked by many married men (and women). Except for the woman not eating her child.

What does any of that have to do with getting married? Maybe, you're watching too many Spielberg movies and soap operas Those same questions have been asked by many married men (and women). Except for the woman not eating her child.

This has always been a source of mystery to me.

Most men of my age (42) and older who come to Thailand are usually doing so after a failed relationship or more accurately a lifetime of failed relationships.

Why is it then that the first thing so many seem to do upon settling here is to get straight into another relationship with a wholly unsuitable woman from a culture they hardly understand?

You would think that they would be far better off 'playing the field' as it were and not getting themselves into a similar situation they've been in most of their adult lives.

I've had several friends settle here in later life after their marriages/long term relationships failed and all (apart from one) of them totally ignored my advice and got embroiled in 'relationships' which left them not only worse off financially but a whole lot more miserable than they were when they arrived.

The one who listened to my advice has a led a simple yet highly enjoyable life. Now that he has spent a few years learning to avoid the pitfalls, coming to terms with the language and culture (as best as he can) he has now met a very nice lady of a sensible age and background with whom he should have a bright future.

It's really not rocket science but the old adage that people check in their common sense when boarding the plane for Bangkok and forget to reclaim it, rings oh so true even in this day and age where the internet is rammed full of caveats.