Stone The Crows

egg

l heard my first crow call in LOS about 5 years ago ,,, the following year l actually saw one ,, then a couple of years ago l saw 2 ,,, last week l saw 3 :o ,,, not near plague proportion yet ,, but these birds can breed like Thais(or is that flies?) ,,, just look at Oz ,,an amazingly intelligent bird , it will be interesting to see its wits pitted against the Thais natural instincts or desire to kill and eat just about anything,,,, has anyone else spotted these birds survivng over here ??? l am in the Udon ,,Sakon area in Isaan ,,,,,,, please no lectures about them being raverns or blackbirds or whatever ,,, they have been crows to me for 50+ years

cheers

They are here in Mae Sot, out in the countryside, not in town.

I saw just a few last dry season.

I'd just as soon they remained few and far between,

because I can't think of a single useful function they provide.

Full Nuisance and I understand they are unfit to eat,

no matter what Hannibal Lecter said.

Hmmm....He was known for eating things he shouldn't.

Egg,

Maybe my least favorite bird,as I was brought up on a sheep farm in Oz. They used to pick the eyes out of lambs and their mothers. Difficult buggers to kill as they are very smart. As guns are out of the question here, try a crow trap. It's a cage of wood or metal covered with netting, cube shaped and around 750mm - 1 metre square. Anchor it to the ground in an open field away from buildings. In the middle of the top panel make a reinforced triangular shaped hole big enough for the crow to land on the edge look in and see the piece of rotting meat you have left for it.

Theory is it will fly down gorge on the meat, but cannot fly out through the hole with wings outstretched. Make sure the cage is strong as they are large birds. Unlike a parrot with a curved beak, they are not good climbers. If it works for one, they usually make so much noise that others come to investigate, and meet with the same fate. How you choose to dispatch them is up to you.(maybe poison the meat- but a slow death) Maybe some of your neighbours will want to eat them ? Yuk! Good luck.

Hello All, we didn't have them for 5 yrs on the west side of Korat, on the E. side we've had them for 5+ years.

Our backyard is 1.5 rai and I flush them out just walking out to water tent to the garden.

They like toads and bugs and other small critters.

We'er 5K out from the 224-226 Y-junction on 226, still Muang Korat.

The first pic is on the 2 rai behind the house, where's Waldo?

2nd. zoom, sorry this is a phone and and pictures go to poo when the sun is going down.

Today's pic is 3. They don't have tapioca drying now, so they are after the scraps, usually there's hundreds of

pigeons eating. This is 400M before DoHome.

Finally, to make this a 'farming forum thread': after I finished installing more driptape and seeding 4 more rows

on the 2 rai behind the house my wife rents, in the top of the tall tree at the end of field a large black colored

nok made loud noises. I asked him not to mess with my masa corn or he would be a dead MFer.

We also have them at the farm by Phi Mai.

rice555

post-37242-0-32529100-1298820154_thumb.j

post-37242-0-30688300-1298820199_thumb.j

post-37242-0-64370900-1298820264_thumb.j

Yes just as horrible as in UK, Only difference is in UK they breed well because plenty to eat, song birds eggs etc etc, here not so much to eat and snakes and such eat thier eggs so not so many.

I play Golf here and cringe when I see them as I hate them, they are similar to the Carrion crow in UK and sound and fly the same.

Crows in Loei province are NOT a rare sight. Going from Nong Hin to Muang Loei on highway 201, you often see them on the road eating road kill. They are smart birds and seldom get within range of the Thai's black powder rifles.

Crows in Loei province are NOT a rare sight. Going from Nong Hin to Muang Loei on highway 201, you often see them on the road eating road kill. They are smart birds and seldom get within range of the Thai's black powder rifles.

l see them at about the same time every year ,, so not a lot around here ,,,, l remember years ago in another life , when things in Aus were a little different ,, we would drive the car up and down (maybe a dozen times)a dirt road in the sticks ,, passing a crow sitting on a post or whatever ,, the bird would not move ,, just look as we went passed again and again ,, but as soon as we approached with the shotgun stuck out (only an inch or 2) the bird was off long before he came within range ,,, this was done many times over the years and every time it was the same ,, never got a shot off ,,,, l think they have a sixth sense about guns ,,,,, very wise birds indeed ,,, another time , sitting in a popular car park watching 3 crows lift the lid of a wheely bin while the other 600(that might be a bit over the top) of them pulled McDonalds bags and wrappers ,, it was incredible to watch ,,, smart birds ,,, but they should watch what they eat ,,, McDonalds :sick: