Switching 256 To 512

Kringle

I have just changed from a 256 hookup to 512 with True and they tell me that it will take 5 days to accomplish this. I went 2 days ago and just checked my speed and they stat that I am at 253.293. My question is, will I see any real difference in this or is it just a waste of the extra 160 baht a month that it's going to cost me? I download stuff from DC++ and have gotten tired of the slow speeds. I can't do the 2 meg route as it's just not affordable for me and really not that necesary for what I use my computer for. I will be downloading more educational stuff for my daugter and think the 512 will make some difference.

I also would like to know if there is any section here that I can go to to get info on sizing pics to use as an avitar and for putting pics in my blog. I seem to have a lot of trouble with this and just can't figure it all out.

Thanks for any help,

Kringle

Whats the size of the stuff u r downloading? Are they over 1GB or not? If not, then i think 256 is ok as i'm using it and can download stuff from 100MB-1GB but it would take some time. If u wanna see good difference then get 1Mbps. It would show u a great difference. :o

I have just changed from a 256 hookup to 512 with True and they tell me that it will take 5 days to accomplish this. I went 2 days ago and just checked my speed and they stat that I am at 253.293. My question is, will I see any real difference in this or is it just a waste of the extra 160 baht a month that it's going to cost me? I download stuff from DC++ and have gotten tired of the slow speeds.

You will see a real difference only when you are accessing local sites. When you are accessing international sites, the inadequate access all local ISP's have to international backbones (because, among other reasons, that limited bandwidth is all they are willing to pay for) will remain a serious bottleneck for you regardless of what your local access speed may be.

I have not used DC++ but most P2P activity is actively restricted by TRUE to allow other access at reasonable speeds. My 512 connection yesterday had no trouble getting 50k+ download speeds from Microsoft for several hundred MB (several times) so in fact the 512 will be faster than 256 even for international circuits. But I suspect you are probably not going to see much improvement when using P2P.

It appears TRUE is now using routers with xx.xxx.xxx.001 as server and our computers being one of the final three numbers as client; but internet address will be xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to one of the assigned IP numbers of Asianet so believe security from outside internet attack is much higher than previously.

I have not used DC++ but most P2P activity is actively restricted by TRUE to allow other access at reasonable speeds.

that the truth, alas, but there is still a way to bypass that : change the ports number where the P2P is working.

I use winmix, and I do that everyday, connnection is just fine , but if I keep the same ports, after 2 or 3 days the speed is about 4 k/sec

Roxannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne

I have not used DC++ but most P2P activity is actively restricted by TRUE to allow other access at reasonable speeds.

that the truth, alas, but there is still a way to bypass that : change the ports number where the P2P is working.

I use winmix, and I do that everyday, connnection is just fine , but if I keep the same ports, after 2 or 3 days the speed is about 4 k/sec

Roxannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne

Thanks to all for the info and help. Is there any place here that will give me some help on resizing pics to put on as an avitar and also putting things in my blog?

Sting01, how do I change the port numbers to get better speed P2P

Cheers,

Kringle

Edited by Kringle

Whats the size of the stuff u r downloading? Are they over 1GB or not? If not, then i think 256 is ok as i'm using it and can download stuff from 100MB-1GB but it would take some time. If u wanna see good difference then get 1Mbps. It would show u a great difference. :o

In Tokyo, I am on 55 Mb per second. The price is about 2200B per month, unlimited download/upload. Not that I insisted on that speed - simply could not get anything else. If I had a cable, then 100Mbps.

For a benchmark, downloading something from Microsoft, it goes 600-800Kb per second.

From Google, 100-120Kbps. Google earth is a demanding thing, a bit slow but not frustratingly slow. Things change in a second or two.

When going out of Japan, which is 100% of what I do, for example, reading BKK Post, the speed is hardly any better than on dial up.

People going local JP sites are telling me it's near internal disk transfer rate.

Those saying that the speed is within the country are right. When you go out, you share the same lines as everybody else does, including dial-ups.

I've been getting extremely slow speeds when using the TV Hub and it's supposed to be here in Thailand but it can be as slow as getting something from Torrent sites at times and I thought it was supposed to be fast. Hardly seems worthwhile at times. It's either I'm not doing something right or the people on the Hub are DL from a bunch of sites at the same time which I thought was not supposed to be going on. Wish I could get more info on that also

Cheers, Kringle