Do You Have To Do The Tct And Exams?

YouYouYou

Copped to do TCT + Exams ???  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello all you teachers out there without a PGCE or equivalent ....basically all those with or without a degree teaching in Thailand, irrespective of CELTA, TESOL, TEFL (as these do not make you exempt) and irrespective of whether or not you work through an agency.

The reason (in my town) is that I personally know quite a few teachers who work in government schools that have not heard of the Thai Culture Test (TCT) or exams and have not been asked to do them. Some have degrees and some do not. Also some private school teachers have not been asked either but all I know have a degree. It would be interesting to see who is actually being asked to do these requirements.

So go on, don't be shy, please be honest and please tick a box :jap:

IMHO, if one farang teacher is asked to do this then all should be, seems fair to me. But, let's see if we can find the truth of the situation here and then draw your own conclusions.

Cheers Triple You.

Edited by YouYouYou

Just around up of teachers in my town that I have spoke to this week:

4 at private schools with a degree copped to do it.

1 at a gov. school with a degree copped to do it.

4 at gov. schools with a degree, never heard of it and don't have to do it.

5 at gov. schools with no degree, never heard of it and don't have to do it.

Ho hum on with the grind of those exams for me then, while many can just chill. Also, there seems to be talk of it being scapped anyway ...I hope so !

Go on please tick a box in the poll, cheers Triple You :jap:

'copped' UK slang.

Made to do it. Told to do it.

Odd, I thought it meant "gave in" or gave up hope of avoiding it and did/going to do.

Going to look now, thank goodness for the internet.

Edit:

Idiom 5. cop a plea, a. to plead guilty or confess in return for receiving a lighter sentence. b. to plead guilty to a lesser charge as a means of bargaining one's way out of standing trial for a more serious charge; plea-bargain.

Edited by BruceMangosteen

It's interesting that there are 6 nos and only 2 yeses. I guess that the people who are at schools that are exempt from the new regulations tend to keep quiet about it, while those of us who have been 'copped' engage in endless discussions and complaints about it!:ermm:

'copped' UK slang.

Made to do it. Told to do it.

Odd, I thought it meant "gave in" or gave up hope of avoiding it and did/going to do.

Going to look now, thank goodness for the internet.

Edit:

Idiom 5. cop a plea, a. to plead guilty or confess in return for receiving a lighter sentence. b. to plead guilty to a lesser charge as a means of bargaining one's way out of standing trial for a more serious charge; plea-bargain.

In the context used by the poster..........the above does not apply. It's 'urban'.

Same as the kids who describe something as 'really sick'..........meaning 'thats really great (cool, good, fab etc etc)

Edited by Phatcharanan

You posted:

4 at gov. schools with a degree, never heard of it and don't have to do it.

5 at gov. schools with no degree, never heard of it and don't have to do it.

------

with a degree - meaning educational degree?

No degree - meaning non degree o,r have a non educational degree?

My understanding is that foreigners with an education degree have to take Thai culture course and Professional ethics course (combined) and then apply for license. Others with a non education degree have to take Thai culture course and Professional ethics course and Professional knowledge course and tests (4 tests, 1000 baht each)

I too work at a gov. school. I have non ed degree but I'm working with a 2 year waiver (2nd waiver.) I am going to try to get someone at my school to pull strings to bypass tests.

Any suggestions??

Thank all

Well, I have an Ed degree and a 5 year license. All I had to do was to take the Thai culture course, 20 hours. That was back in November, before they postponed the courses. License followed in late January.

Congratulations and well done, Phatcharanan. :jap:

Ty Phat, sry Scott .... 'Copped' slang (UK) ....asked to it by the MOE. That is, caught out/caught up with/requested by the MOE as opposed to those who have yet been asked to do so . Didn't wanna start a battle. Triple You.:wub:

Massive P ...No degree means .....No degree, err without a degree, no University qualification.

Edited by YouYouYou

Well, I have an Ed degree and a 5 year license. All I had to do was to take the Thai culture course, 20 hours. That was back in November, before they postponed the courses. License followed in late January.

Congratulations and well done, Phatcharanan. :jap:

Thanks.

Was not being arrogant or anything.........was just responding to MassivePuffin post about Ed degree holders requiring Thai Culture course AND the TCT tests.

This is not the case, at this moment in time.