Processing Time Aust Partner/Prospective Marriage

When I put my wife's application in 12 days ago, the Baht was 32.9 to the Australian dollar. It is currently in free fall and is now 29.5. My application fee was 66,150 baht. By my calculations it should be approx. 60,000 baht. Talk about bad timing. Does the fee fluctuate or do they only set it monthly/weekly? The VFS web site still has 66,150 baht

Edited by Logarhythm

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the fee fluctuate or do they only set it monthly/weekly? The VFS web site still has 66,150 baht

six monthly. Just updated last month. Next will be after new years

The price is 1,995 Australian dollars. It seems absurd (along with almost everything regarding this process) that it now costs 2180 Australian dollars to apply.

Does the fee fluctuate or do they only set it monthly/weekly? The VFS web site still has 66,150 baht

six monthly. Just updated last month. Next will be after new years

The price is 1,995 Australian dollars. It seems absurd (along with almost everything regarding this process) that it now costs 2180 Australian dollars to apply.

I posted on this issue on the 1st of July. DIAC deems a rate, if the exchange rates fluctuates beyond this then it can be considerably cheaper to pay the visa application charge onshore.

How to Save on Visa Application Charges:-

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know how far into the partner visa process before the papers are sent to do a medical or are they handed out after the first interview ?

And how long does it take for the hospital to do the medical ?

Does a appointment need to made for a medical or can you just turn up ?

Edited by saintofsilence

Does anyone know how far into the partner visa process before the papers are sent to do a medical or are they handed out after the first interview ?

Well we're a couple of months in and. We asked if we could knock this over because we want to do some travelling. The short answer was "No, we will tell you when to do it."

You can't just turn up because you need the paperwork from the embassy. You'll make an appointment and like the police check it'll all be completed and they will send the papers off direct to the embassy. From what i've been lead to believe, you (or she) won't get to see them. I know you have the option I picking up the papers with the police, you don't with the medical.

I put my applications into Immigration last December in Australia. According to the link it will be done in 8 months. Not True. After ringing and seeing them at Sydney and Parramatta, both confirmed it will take at least 12 months before we see a case officer. So still waiting.

you put yours in December and you haven't got anything yet? I've seen a few people here that put them in only in April or May, that have already been signed off on.

We put ours into VFS Bangkok in August so it's only been two months. We only just got a case officer a few weeks ago. And when we spoke to her she hadn't even opened up the August applications. They were still only at June or July.

:-(

After ringing and seeing them at Sydney and Parramatta, both confirmed it will take at least 12 months before we see a case officer. So still waiting.

Man that sucks. Something must be missing surely? A case officer shouldn't take that long. The whole process shouldn't take that long...

From what i've been lead to believe, you (or she) won't get to see them. I know you have the option I picking up the papers with the police, you don't with the medical.

The case officer send's you a form with your case number and then you can book a medical. From feb this year the results are sent online. Although the doc did tell the missus she was all clear after testing samples etc.

With reference to post # 87

The file is not always sent to Australia as all the information is on the DIAC data base. All the information can be accessed on line in Australia by DIAC.

Bangkok does the first stage of processing, Canberra the second stage. You need to keep them informed of your current postal address in Australia. DIAC will forward some documents to be filled in about 6 to 8 weeks before the date the 309 visa expires.

Perhaps things have changed recently but they were not sending out second stage information promptly in mid-2011. My spouse was ready to go to second-stage processing in May 2011. By the middle of June we hadn't received anything so we called and were told that they were "running behind" and may be delayed in sending out second stage documentation. In July we made another call and the documents were emailed 2 days later. (None of the contact details had changed and the people on the phone confirmed they had them recorded correctly).

We were told Brisbane now does second-stage processing for Thailand (and indeed were directed to send second-stage documents to the Brisbane address), not Canberra.

Edited by Goinghomesoon

We put an application in at the end of July. We we were asked to have medical last week. That's 10 weeks from the time the application was put in. We made an appointment at the Bangkok hospital in Phuket at short notice. The medical took about 3 hours all up and they sent it to the Embassy online. Anyone know how long we could expect to wait now?

We put an application in at the end of July. We we were asked to have medical last week. That's 10 weeks from the time the application was put in. We made an appointment at the Bangkok hospital in Phuket at short notice. The medical took about 3 hours all up and they sent it to the Embassy online. Anyone know how long we could expect to wait now?

Mate that's great news. You put yours in about 2-3 weeks before us. Thing is though we rang the case office a few weeks back and asked about going to Aus now and she said "just do it," ie "go". So I'm hoping that hasn't meant she's put us on the back burners.

edit: speeling

Edited by Madivad

Have you had a interview yet ?

I assume you meant Logarythm, which I'm now curious about to. I thought the interview was first, then the medical.

We've had neither interview or request for medical.

edit: saintofsilence posted again which clarified my post

Edited by Madivad

Did you have an Interview before getting the medical papers?

No. The letter said that there is no interview at this time. Is it normal to have a medical before the interview? I was hoping that having a medical would indicate that they will approve it soon. We are hoping it will be approved before the middle of December so we can go home for Xmas.

I only read today, may have been earlier in this thread, or some other thread that we have both been in, about someone else who got asked for a medical clearance without Interview. Days later they had their visa. I know I could be wrong, and I don't want to jinx you, but I reckon you guys are probably on your final stretch.

No. The letter said that there is no interview at this time. Is it normal to have a medical before the interview? I was hoping that having a medical would indicate that they will approve it soon. We are hoping it will be approved before the middle of December so we can go home for Xmas.

I am not sure but maybe you had a very good application and don't need an interview please let us know if you get your visa and Good Luck.

First contact with the case officer for us was when she rang the wife to arrange an interview. The confirmation email also included the letter to take to get a medical.

Applied end of May, interview was mid Sept. CO said it would take 3 months to make a final decision.

Edited by Berek

I am not sure but maybe you had a very good application and don't need an interview please let us know if you get your visa and Good Luck.

Thanks. I hope your right. Not that having an interview would bother us.

I put my applications into Immigration last December in Australia. According to the link it will be done in 8 months. Not True. After ringing and seeing them at Sydney and Parramatta, both confirmed it will take at least 12 months before we see a case officer. So still waiting.

I take it you are talking about an onshore application?

I'm pretty sure you can't submit an offshore visa app in country. :-)

Gburns57au, I'm not being smart, I just thought you might have missed that bolder part

Edit: fixed the tags

Edited by Madivad

I'm pretty sure you can't submit an offshore visa app in country. :-)

Gburns57au, I'm not being smart, I just thought you might have missed that bolder part

Edit: fixed the tags

No I didnt miss it.....but some others may have, just seeking clarification.

Last thing some people need is confusion

Yes I thought it would be a lot quicker, however it isn't. Just seems to go on and on here. The next thing is I will be down to see the Local MP and stir things up.

Yes I thought it would be a lot quicker, however it isn't. Just seems to go on and on here. The next thing is I will be down to see the Local MP and stir things up.

so how does that process work? Is she on a bridging visa or still a tourist visa? If so, is she having to leave the country every three months?

so how does that process work? Is she on a bridging visa or still a tourist visa? If so, is she having to leave the country every three months?

Came over on a 12 month Multi entry Class TR visitor visa, issued in Bangkok.

Arrived here and put in the ONSHORE paperwork for Temporary and Permanent Residency together, as advised by Immigration.

She was told to have a medical as she is staying in country, this was one week after putting the applications in.

Once this is done she can stay in Australia until notified of the decision. (The 3 months stay) becomes null and void.

She has been back to Thailand on a Bridging Visa for 10 weeks and returned to OZ. This does not effect the processing time when she left the country, it still carries on as it was a bridging visa she left and returned on.

Once this is done she can stay in Australia until notified of the decision. (The 3 months stay) becomes null and void.

She has been back to Thailand on a Bridging Visa for 10 weeks and returned to OZ. This does not effect the processing time when she left the country, it still carries on as it was a bridging visa she left and returned on.

Ah, very good. There was speculation the bridging visa didn't kick in until the first one expired. That's great news for others. Well done. Good luck for the rest of your process. You lucky SOB :-). All three of my wife's TV have had the 8503 :-( someone doesn't like us

Arrived here and put in the ONSHORE paperwork for Temporary and Permanent Residency together, as advised by Immigration.

She was told to have a medical as she is staying in country, this was one week after putting the applications in.

What was the strategy and thinking behind applying for the 12month multi TV?

Can they put restrictions on this visa and if so what would you have done then?(restriction clause they have limiting ability to apply for another visa)

What was the strategy and thinking behind applying for the 12month multi TV?

Can they put restrictions on this visa and if so what would you have done then?(restriction clause they have limiting ability to apply for another visa)

My wife had already been to OZ on 2 other occasions on 3 month TV. So when I applied for this 3rd one I ticked the box for 12 months TV as my mother was crook and I knew I would be coming back and forth during the year. I also knew that I would be attending a funeral for a friends father who had bad cancer, so all in all I knew we would be doing a few trips back to OZ during the 12 month period. I told them this in the application and it was approved in 5 days.

After a couple of trips back to OZ, on the 9th Dec 2010, I decided to apply onshore for Partner (Temporary)(Class UK Subclass 820) and Partner (Residence)(Class BS Subclass 801). These are generally referred to as Temporary Partner Visa and Permanent Partner Visa.

Immigration sent me an email with a File Number, a client I.D. Number, and a RID number?dont know what the last one is.

They also stated that she was to apply for Medicare and was to have a medical as she was staying in country.

The Bridging Visa was issued to cover her time back in Thailand. In other words the original applications are still processed while you are back in Thailand on the Bridging Visa. You must come back to OZ before or on the return date they put on the BV or it all starts over again..

When you apply and your applications are received and acknowledged by Immigration, it is noted on the Immigration computer and NOT in her passport. That she can stay in country pending the outcome of the application. So if it takes 18months to be approved she can stay for that time in country.

Cost of Applications AU$2,575-00. Cost of medical AU$303-00. Total cost AU$2,878-00. This was back in Dec 2010, may be more now.

Hope this helps.

Edited by OZEMADE

My wife had already been to OZ on 2 other occasions on 3 month TV. So when I applied for this 3rd one I ticked the box for 12 months TV as my mother was crook and I knew I would be coming back and forth during the year. I also knew that I would be attending a funeral for a friends father who had bad cancer, so all in all I knew we would be doing a few trips back to OZ during the 12 month period. I told them this in the application and it was approved in 5 days.

After a couple of trips back to OZ, on the 9th Dec 2010, I decided to apply onshore for Partner (Temporary)(Class UK Subclass 820) and Partner (Residence)(Class BS Subclass 801). These are generally referred to as Temporary Partner Visa and Permanent Partner Visa.

Immigration sent me an email with a File Number, a client I.D. Number, and a RID number?dont know what the last one is.

They also stated that she was to apply for Medicare and was to have a medical as she was staying in country.

The Bridging Visa was issued to cover her time back in Thailand. In other words the original applications are still processed while you are back in Thailand on the Bridging Visa. You must come back to OZ before or on the return date they put on the BV or it all starts over again..

When you apply and your applications are received and acknowledged by Immigration, it is noted on the Immigration computer and NOT in her passport. That she can stay in country pending the outcome of the application. So if it takes 18months to be approved she can stay for that time in country.

Cost of Applications AU$2,575-00. Cost of medical AU$303-00. Total cost AU$2,878-00. This was back in Dec 2010, may be more now.

Hope this helps.

Some great info there ozemade, cheers.

Could you just clarify a couple of points for me?

The visas you applied for are they the defacto ones or marriage ones?

Also, what is the likelihood of having a 8503 clause on the 12month TV? This is a condition that stops you applying for any further visa to extend your stay. Is it a given that an 8503 wont be attached to a 12month TV or is it totally discretionary?

We are in a situation where my partner has had a 3 month TV to Oz and is now here on a 6 month TV but due to go back to Thailand shortly.

We have been told she wont receive any more TV's but we have a situation not too dissimilar to yours with sick relo's and weddings coming up.

When you say your partner is eligible for medicare whilst waiting up to 18 months for a decision, does this also mean she can work during that time?

This seems a perfectly legal way to bypass the waiting period of up to 12 months and get into Oz quicker.

Hope this helps.

Some great info there ozemade, cheers.

Could you just clarify a couple of points for me?

The visas you applied for are they the defacto ones or marriage ones?

Also, what is the likelihood of having a 8503 clause on the 12month TV? This is a condition that stops you applying for any further visa to extend your stay. Is it a given that an 8503 wont be attached to a 12month TV or is it totally discretionary?

We are in a situation where my partner has had a 3 month TV to Oz and is now here on a 6 month TV but due to go back to Thailand shortly.

We have been told she wont receive any more TV's but we have a situation not too dissimilar to yours with sick relo's and weddings coming up.

When you say your partner is eligible for medicare whilst waiting up to 18 months for a decision, does this also mean she can work during that time?

This seems a perfectly legal way to bypass the waiting period of up to 12 months and get into Oz quicker.

Misterwolf. If your TGF has has had a 3 month and 6 month and told no more tourist visas there is no way in the world she will get a 12 month multiple entry. I wouldn't be worried about the no further stay I would be more worried about her not getting another tourist visa. Sadly your TGF will just have to apply in BKK and join the queue like everyone else..............

Max