Processing Time Aust Partner/Prospective Marriage

4 things...

-bridge says "I confirmed with a senior case officer at the Australian Embassy today that for offshore partner/prospective marriage visa applications lodged after the 7th of February 2011 standard processing time will be up to 10 months now."

-What do you mean by offshore? as opposed to onshore? i was under the impression that partner visas had to be applied for in thailand.

-TPI says "Maaaate! The fact that you have a partner application in cuts no ice in the embassy...If she isn't working then they're going to hit you up for the $15,000 security bond and the female officer dealing with the application will instantly assume that she's a "working girl"! Better to wait until she has her temp marriage visa then there is not so much nonsense!"

-is this true that you need to have around $15,000AUD in the bank in order to sponser your girlfriend to come to australia on a tourist visa?... assuming she doesnt have much money that is.

also do these people at the embassy in thailand really assume that most of the girls applying are prostitutes?

-finally, im wondering if you apply for a prospective marrige visa and your girlfriend gets a 3 month tourist visa after that and comes to australia is this taken into account when they review your prospective marriage visa?

my girlfriend is looking at getting a tourist visa to australia early next year for the sole purpose of strengthening our future applications for a long term visa

-also what is a bridging visa?

1. A partner visa can be applied for offshore or onshore. In order to apply onshore however, the applicant must be in Australia on a substantive visa which does not have the no further stay condition (8503) attached to it. Most people who visit Australia on a tourist visa from a high risk country, such as Thailand for example, will have the no further stay condition attached to their visa. The effectively prevents them from making any onshore application for any other visa. Note a prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) can only be applied for offshore. There is no onshore prospective marriage visa.

2. Any applicant for a visitor visa must have adequate funds or access to adequate funds to support themselves for the duration of their proposed stay in Australia.

Sikishrory my answer hasn't changed since you asked same question a few weeks ago: See Post #10

3. At the time of visa grant an applicant still needs to demonstrate that they satisfy the requirements necessary for the particular visa they are applying for. Any factors between date of application and date of grant are also relevant.

4. There are several types of bridging visas but the most common is a Bridging Visa A. This confers legal status on a person during the processing of a substantive visa application. For example, if an person was in Australia and able to make a valid onshore application for a partner visa. Then they would be granted a Bridging Visa A until a decision is made on their onshore partner visa application.

Edited by bridge

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks again bridge, your a legend!

i had never heard of a specific $15,000 minimum to sponser somebody is why i asked.

i have so many questions regarding these visas but i try to spread them out as much as i can so as not to annoy people. i could probably talk about it all day.

this website is a awesome resource. some people pay quite a bit of money for this kind of information. i actually got quoted $150AUD today by a migration agent in australia to review my girlfriends case.

• 1 month later...

I refer to my previous posts in this forum and am happy to advise that my wife and her daughter were granted their Visas on 11 May 2012 (applied in Bangkok on 17 December 2011). They each now have a Thai passport with an Australian Visa.They will be travelling to Australia on 14 August 2012. My question is, will these documents be enough to get the child through Passport Control at Bangkok airport.

The little girl will be 3 years and 11 months old. They will be carrying their original birth certificates in their hand luggage. The father named in the child's birth certificate has given his consent to the issue of the Thai passport and to the issue of the Australian Visa. Do we now need to get his further permission for his daughter to travel? If so, what documents (if any) would Passport Control require?

Thank you for reading my question. Please let me know if there is a more appropriate forum for my query.

Regards

EddyW

Edited by EddyW

My fiance just got her prospective partner visa so here was our timeline, note we did apply just before the processing time officially changed:

Jan 27 - Lodged

Apr 21 - First contact from case officer

Apr 29 - Phone interview + request for an updated "free to marry certificate", the one originally submitted was over a year old as we had got this for previous visitor visas.

May 9 - New free to marry cert + translation lodged

May 12 - Case Officer sends me confirmation email that application is complete and has been passed on for final decision but expect this to take 4-6 weeks due to the large volume of applications

May 23 - Visa Approved

May 25 - Passport taken to Embassy for stamp + info pack given to fiance.

Now one question I did have was previously we always got return tickets for visitor visa's. Can we now just get a one way to Aussie land without any drama from thai airways or immigration?

Thanks again to everyone on these forums the information I gained here was invaluable in making our applications over the past couple of years.

What does this mean a free to marry certificate ? I have my thai divorce certificate that was translated 5 years ago and my new partner has never been married I have not heard of a free to marry certificate who issues it ?

My fiance just got her prospective partner visa so here was our timeline, note we did apply just before the processing time officially changed:

Jan 27 - Lodged

Apr 29 - Phone interview + request for an updated "free to marry certificate", the one originally submitted was over a year old as we had got this for previous visitor visas.

May 12 - Case Officer sends me confirmation email that application is complete and has been passed on for final decision but expect this to take 4-6 weeks due to the large volume of applications

May 23 - Visa Approved

Now one question I did have was previously we always got return tickets for visitor visa's. Can we now just get a one way to Aussie land without any drama from thai airways or immigration?

Thanks again to everyone on these forums the information I gained here was invaluable in making our applications over the past couple of years.

What does this mean a free to marry certificate ? I have my thai divorce certificate that was translated 5 years ago and my new partner has never been married I have not heard of a free to marry certificate who issues it ?

Hi

Follow this link: http://www.thailand....onsular_P4.html

I went through this last December!

Regards

EddyW

Jan 27 - Lodged

May 23 - Visa Approved

Hi

Follow this link: http://www.thailand....onsular_P4.html

I went through this last December!

Regards

EddyW

Good info thanks for that eddyw

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to advise - partner visa lodged 309 May 6th - visa approved and stamped today - There is hope guys - with a complete, accurate application you don't have to wait 10- 13 months

Howareyou,

Great news - well done.

Can you give us a little bit of background on your relationship. How long you have been with your partner, married or de-facto, kids etc.

From memory she was contacted for medical 2 weeks ago, we have been together for 1 year and nine months - she came to Australia last October for 2 months and we married in March this year. My family love and her and we had many photos and references from family and friends.

I believe that a certain amount of luck may have been involved - but our application was extremely well presented and very complete - My job and assets may have played a role but I really do think any case officer can see - and has the experience to determine whether an applicant is genuine. I also contacted my case officer a couple of times via email and phone and I was always polite and treated the case officer with utmost respect. I also asked a lot of questions to two well respected Thai visa contributors who i feel also played a large part in this being Bridge and gburns - thank you guys

I prayed a heck of a lot as well - Buddha has been very kind. I truly hope that you and others who have genuine applications will also get fast approvals

Well done howareyou that was very quick how long after you lodged it did it take to be contacted for your partner to do a medical ?

From memory she was contacted for medical 2 weeks ago, we have been together for 1 year and nine months - she came to Australia last October for 2 months and we married in March this year. My family love and her and we had many photos and references from family and friends.

I believe that a certain amount of luck may have been involved - but our application was extremely well presented and very complete - My job and assets may have played a role but I really do think any case officer can see - and has the experience to determine whether an applicant is genuine. I also contacted my case officer a couple of times via email and phone and I was always polite and treated the case officer with utmost respect. I also asked a lot of questions to two well respected Thai visa contributors who i feel also played a large part in this being Bridge and gburns - thank you guys

I prayed a heck of a lot as well - Buddha has been very kind. I truly hope that you and others who have genuine applications will also get fast approvals

Well done howareyou that was very quick how long after you lodged it did it take to be contacted for your partner to do a medical ?

Thanks again howareyou very interesting I am also waiting for a partner visa but my circumstances are a bit different as I'm not married but I hope it's close to the same time frame as yours.

Howareyou,

Congratulations! We put my wife's application in last week. Your news has given me cause for some guarded optimism. I believe my application was well thought out and well presented.We've been living together for 2 years. We had a baby last Oct and we married in Feb this year. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Logarhythm

Howareyou,

Congratulations! We put my wife's application in last week. Your news has given me cause for some guarded optimism. I believe my application was well thought out and well presented.We've been living together for 2 years. We had a baby last Oct and we married in Feb this year. Fingers crossed!

My wife received an e-mail from the Australian Embassy today. It stated her file number, case officer and case officer's contact details. That's 7 days after the application was lodged. Is this a routine letter, or should it be viewed as positive?

Just wanted to advise - partner visa lodged 309 May 6th - visa approved and stamped today - There is hope guys - with a complete, accurate application you don't have to wait 10- 13 months

Great stuff!!! It's good to hear good news. But of luck for you and yours and your future life in Aus!

Howareyou,

My wife received an e-mail from the Australian Embassy today. It stated her file number, case officer and case officer's contact details. That's 7 days after the application was lodged. Is this a routine letter, or should it be viewed as positive?

Routine letter.

Regards

Will

Mate I would say that's good because we received no notification I phone the Embassy approximately 1 month after lodging and was told who the case officer was - from there I made contact approx 2 weeks after. I would think positive and good luck to you

Howareyou,

Mate I would say that's good because we received no notification I phone the Embassy approximately 1 month after lodging and was told who the case officer was - from there I made contact approx 2 weeks after. I would think positive and good luck to you

Howareyou,

Cheers, mate. As I'm sure you can appreciate, we are looking for anything positive that we can hang our hats on.

In my opinion, at the end of the day, you should prepare

yourselves for a 10 month wait and anything before that is a bonus.

I'd suggest that in most cases, 10 months is in the worst case scenerio.

I know it's stressfull but once the application is in, it's best to try and not think

about it. (hard to do I know).

There are just so many variables involved, that's why DIAC say UP to 10 months.

And that's why it's pointless in most cases to try and compare your application with

someone else's. These variables include what state, what office and importantly

what case officer, the strength of the application etc etc.

One of the worst things you can do is to keep badgering your case officer

with questions that can be answered on the website.

Just keep them crossed and hope for the best.

It's all you can do really.

Regards

Will

I know it's stressfull but once the application is in, it's best to try and not think

And that's why it's pointless in most cases to try and compare your application with

Regards

Will

Will,

I couldn't agree more with you.

Regards

Will

Will,

I couldn't agree more with you.

Fair points all. I'm fully expecting a 10 month wait. But, hey, I'm an optimist!

I am waiting with baited breath, (yes I mean baited not bated) for any further results on applications submitted after 7/2/11

Regards

Will

I have 3 questions. I've tried to find the answers to them, but have been unable to.

1. If you apply in Bangkok ( as my wife has), is your case officer based in Bangkok?

2. Does the completed application go to Australia?

3. Is the final decision made in Bangkok?

Cheers.

I have 3 questions. I've tried to find the answers to them, but have been unable to.

1. If you apply in Bangkok ( as my wife has), is your case officer based in Bangkok? - yes

2. Does the completed application go to Australia? - prior to completion, I understand for the final decision.

3. Is the final decision made in Bangkok? - see above.

Cheers.

If I am wrong someone will correct me.

1. If you apply in Bangkok ( as my wife has), is your case officer based in Bangkok? - yes

2. Does the completed application go to Australia? - prior to completion, I understand for the final decision.

Cheers.

In answer to your questions.

1. DIAC case officer is in Bangkok.

2. The application does not go to Australia for processing.

3. The decision to approve/refuse the application is made by DIAC in Bangkok.

All the applicants information is entered on the DIAC computer database.

Cheers.

In answer to your questions.

1. DIAC case officer is in Bangkok.

2. The application does not go to Australia for processing.

3. The decision to approve/refuse the application is made by DIAC in Bangkok.

All the applicants information is entered on the DIAC computer database.

Just to add, once the s/c 309 is granted, application is forwarded on to

Australia for the eventual granting of s/c 100.

Regards

Will

With reference to post # 87

The file is not always sent to Australia as all the information is on the DIAC data base. All the information can be accessed on line in Australia by DIAC.

Bangkok does the first stage of processing, Canberra the second stage. You need to keep them informed of your current postal address in Australia. DIAC will forward some documents to be filled in about 6 to 8 weeks before the date the 309 visa expires.

I've often thought about what happens with the application during or after the process. Since applications lodged in Australia need 2 photos of the applicant and outside they need 4, I made the assumption they are at least filed in two places. Pure speculation on my part.

With reference to post # 87

The file is not always sent to Australia as all the information is on the DIAC data base. All the information can be accessed on line in Australia by DIAC.

Bangkok does the first stage of processing, Canberra the second stage. You need to keep them informed of your current postal address in Australia. DIAC will forward some documents to be filled in about 6 to 8 weeks before the date the 309 visa expires.

Actually they are currently running behind with sending out the 309 documents, so do follow them up if you are expecting them. My spouse's were due to be sent in May (had held the temp visa for 2 years at that point). We followed up in June and were told they were running behind in sending them out, so wait a bit longer. Followed up again mid-July and they emailed them a few days later. According to the letter that accompanied the forms, the current wait time for Stage 2 visa is 6-8 months from lodgement.