Looking For A Friendly Bar In Jomtien

californiabeachboy

I will be visiting Jomtien for several days next month, as I considering it as a place to spend a few months each year (retired American). I am looking for a nice friendly bar where I could go while I am there to have a drink and maybe a chat with some locals. I am staying on Soi 9 in Jomtien. But I am not looking for a bar girl, just friendly people with maybe a good spot for people watching, late afternoon or early evening, maybe a good happy hour atmosphere. I did some research and the videos of Soi 5 looked terrible - just bar girls, but soi 7 looked better.

I will be relying on the baht bus, so i would like a place on the baht bus route in Jomtien.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

On Soi 9:

Tequila Bar

Walkabout

Richman Poorman Guest House (American food but no ladies)

All 3 have drinks, food & farangs

Around Soi 9:

Dark Knight Bar

Wombat Bar

Howie's Nightlife (American food, too)

All have drinks, ladies & farangs

And, within a 15 minute walk, you'll find many more interesting places, too. Good luck, farang!

B)

It's right there on your soi. The 'Richman Poorman' Guest House and Restaurant has a large, regular clientele of mostly Americans and Canadians. Free buffet on Friday afternoons, too. Food is American recipes, as the owner (Eddie Behr) is from New York. Eddie also runs golf tournaments out of there, currently on Mondays and Thursdays.

Lacated near the intersection with Beach Road.

Drop in. I think you'll enjoy both the food and the company.

Edited by patsfangr

How about "Love Joy" bar? Located directly opposite Simon's Fish and Chips, and about 200 metres from the Hanuman "bomb site" heading towards Beach Road. You can't miss it as the words "Love Joy" are written in huge letters on the outside wall. There is a small "beer garden" attached to the main part of the bar.

Last time that I was there, all drinks were 40 baht but that might have changed by now. There are girls but no hassle and there is always an international crowd there.

Actually, I can't think of a bar in Jomtien that doesn't have locals who aren't friendly towards American farangs. Well.... maybe stay away from the Russian places. They seem to favor Russian clients only. Probably would be difficult to chat as they usually don't speak English. It's a whole different culture.

For some strange reason, Thais think all Americans are rich, kind ('jai dee', translation 'good heart'), and generous. Since you are a California boy, that would be a plus. Seems like they all know "Hotel California" by heart. Whether you want a bar girl or not. It's "up to you". At most bars in Jomtien, the girls aren't forced upon you and neither is the "off".

Have a good time. It won't be difficult to find a place you like.

Edited by BB1950

How about "Love Joy" bar? Located directly opposite Simon's Fish and Chips, and about 200 metres from the Hanuman "bomb site" heading towards Beach Road. You can't miss it as the words "Love Joy" are written in huge letters on the outside wall. There is a small "beer garden" attached to the main part of the bar.

Last time that I was there, all drinks were 40 baht but that might have changed by now. There are girls but no hassle and there is always an international crowd there.

Seconded. I'm partial to a big Archa myself.:lol:

post-122958-0-10267400-1298746991_thumb.

Thank you for the responses. Richman Poorman looks good so I will try it out. Lovejoy also looks good, because an international English speaking crowd can be fun. For the record, in addition to not looking for a girlie bar, I am also not looking for a gay bar (not that there is anything wrong with that - per Jerry Seinfled), but what we used to call in the old days a "neighborhood bar".

I also noticed that the song Hotel California is one of the most popular western songs in Thailand. I love to tell the Thais my theory about the place referenced in the song, and and they always assume I am right because I am from California.

The "Fantasy Bar" in Jomtien Complex is a regular hangout for Expats. Several tables out front and comfortable leather couches inside - as well as the best stocked bar in the area. Basic drinks around 40 baht, as I recall.

From Beach Road, heading east toward the Hanuman Statue ( Burma Road - bomb-site :rolleyes: ), turn left at the Soi just past the two large white buildings on the left with Shenanigans Irish pub on the street level. Take the first right ( a hundred or so meters ), then the first left -- Fantasy will be on your right, just before a bar called "Two Donna"

Edited by SurfRider

I second your recommondation! If I remember correctly, Lovejoy had a system whereby they credited lady drinks towards the barfine?:rolleyes:

The "Fantasy Bar" in Jomtien Complex is a regular hangout for Expats. Several tables out front and comfortable leather couches inside - as well as the best stocked bar in the area. Basic drinks around 40 baht, as I recall.

From Beach Road, heading east toward the Hanuman Statue ( Burma Road - bomb-site :rolleyes: ), turn left at the Soi just past the two large white buildings on the left with Shenanigans Irish pub on the street level. Take the first right ( a hundred or so meters ), then the first left -- Fantasy will be on your right, just before a bar called "Two Donna"

I vote for Fantasy as well! One of my favourites if I'm in the area! Small bottles of beer and a glass of house red are 40 baht! I also like Shenanigans. :D

When you come out of Soi 9 turn right and walk up about 1 block and you will come to an open air bar on the corner. I think it's called Midnight but many refer to it as Howie's as that's the name of the American owner. He has a pool table and decent but not great food.

Clarification:

It's: Howie's Nightlife (Their sign says Soi 8.6)

-and-

Sally's Bar is on Soi 5 (Yeah... "people" watching with a twist!)

B)

You're right, it's Nightlife. I dont know why I was thinking Midnight.

<br>How about "Love Joy" bar? Located directly opposite Simon's Fish and Chips, and about 200 metres from the Hanuman "bomb site" heading towards Beach Road. You can't miss it as the words "Love Joy" are written in huge letters on the outside wall. There is a small "beer garden" attached to the main part of the bar.<br><br>Last time that I was there, all drinks were 40 baht but that might have changed by now. There are girls but no hassle and there is always an international crowd there.<br>

I had a few beers in "LoveJoy" last night......... all drinks are still 40 baht, including wine. No hassle yet the place was buzzing. There was a great atmosphere; sitting on my table were 1 Thai, 1 Scot, 1 Canadian, 1 American, 2 British and 1 Yorkie. (from Bradford but white).The staff wear red dresses and there were a few 'free-lancers' there too.

:burp:

Edited by GamLing
  • Like 1

A lot of my American mates go to Rich man Poor man and I would also recommend the Fantasy Bar, Lovejoys OR The Country Club which is on the same side of the road as Lovejoys but before you get to it. Good band from 9pm every night and its friendly and laid back. Been going there years.

Going in the opposite direction on a Baht Bus and turning off the coast road at the police box, towards Sukumvit Rd is The Purple Space Monkey. Its sort of a tex/mex biker bar/restaurant/shop and is a great night out too!

Edited by Dave the Dude

• 1 month later...

As the OP I just wanted to follow up. I was in Jomtien for a few days in late March. I tried the Richman Poorman.

I really liked the Richman Poorman as, what we would call, a "neighborhood bar". The first time I went in the Thai bartender/hostess asked me for my name and wrote in on the glass, and to be difficult I said "William" instead of "Bill". Two nights later I came back there she remembered - pretty good. I also chatted with the owner for a while. It is mostly Yanks. I had the best fries I have had in Thailand - verry crispy. I would definitely go back next time I am in Jomtien.

I walked by Love Joy but it was early (around 5 PM) so not much happening. I think Love Joy is more of a people watching bar, and Richman/Poorman is more of a friendly "having a chat" bar.

As you can see, there are many great bars in Jomtien if you look around, my personal favorite when i lived there was The Flying Dolphins, on the main drag down to the beach, laid back music, pool, big expat following as the couple that run it are hands on, have been for about 8 years, wife behind the bar, husband DJ, he is a big Beatles fan, so expect that type of music

• Like 1

I and friends were regulars at the Fantasy Bar but the service has been terrible from the waitress staff and the bar staff. it seems the friendlier girls either left or went to the bar complex off 2nd Road. Earlier this week the beer we drink was increased to 50 baht from 40 (must be starting low season?). It seems really dead nowadays, I'll give it a miss from now on and drink in the beer complex just to see some happier faces.

Maggie May's on same road as The Winchester is great for a quiet few beers. Guiness at 170b a pint, choice of ciders and good cheap food.

were abouts is the winchester

thanks charlie

Soi Wat Bunkanchana, (soi Wat Boon) Winchester is next to the crossroads of the new second road, Maggie mays is further down towards the beach.

try the winchester freindy bar girls arnt pushy pool tables good prices

Only went there once and wont go back...didnt even bother getting a drink, bunch of sour pusses work there and the place stunk........

Hi Tequila bar and guest-house is a great spot with very friendly staff and owners , beer is cold and food is excellent and good value.<div>Owners husband is an Aussie who loves to have a chat or a game of pool, lots of expat regulars who welcome newbies.</div><div>Have heard that rich man poorman is a bit clicky</div><div><br></div>

• 10 months later...

Don't forget to try out Apple Bar, it's located on Soi Chaiyaphuk. Go along beach road to the 2nd police box then turn left. You will see it under the 4 metre high illuminated dancing lady, on the left hand side.

Has a good friendly crowd, low drink prices, pool and darts, music not too loud, 3 rooms and two bars. Also has a good range of Cider on sale.

Nice girls but not at all pushy.

Chris

• Like 1