Avocado Trees

petercallen

I have been on this same search for a few years- nowhere close to Phuket to the best of my knowledge. Never have had any luck at regular market at Sapan Hin. Pak Chong is the best bet- grafted tress are seasonably available there. Happy to report that my 6 years old tree is flowering for the first time.

I have been on this same search for a few years- nowhere close to Phuket to the best of my knowledge. Never have had any luck at regular market at Sapan Hin. Pak Chong is the best bet- grafted tress are seasonably available there. Happy to report that my 6 years old tree is flowering for the first time.

Where is Pak Chong, from research i did many years ago it takes 7 years for Avocado trees to produce fruit

Where is Pak Chong

Leave Bangkok in direction north passing Don Mueang Airport on the highway 1, at Saraburi turn right on highway 2 direction to Nakhon Ratchasima. After about 60 kilometers you arrive at Pak Chong.

No problem i should be able to get there and back in one day :blink:

I've been rooting my own avocado seeds here in Rawai and planting in my yard....

I have tried that but once i have planted them out they die after a short period, thats why i want to try grafted ones.

I hope you have better luck than i have had, there normal root system prefers well drained soil, the soil here in the

wet season gets waterlogged

If your soil gets waterlogged according to my research you have NO chance of growing avocados. i had one tree grown from seed fruiting in 3 1/2 years - got lucky!!

I've been rooting my own avocado seeds here in Rawai and planting in my yard....

I have tried that but once i have planted them out they die after a short period, thats why i want to try grafted ones.

I hope you have better luck than i have had, there normal root system prefers well drained soil, the soil here in the

If your soil gets waterlogged according to my research you have NO chance of growing avocados. i had one tree grown from seed fruiting in 3 1/2 years - got lucky!!

That's why i want grafted ones which are grafted onto a tree base root system that is OK in waterlogged soil :jap:

• 3 weeks later...

That's why i want grafted ones which are grafted onto a tree base root system that is OK in waterlogged soil :jap:

What you are looking for is not just a grafted tree, but one grafted onto a cloned root sytem.

This is done in California (mainly for grafting onto a root system that is root-rot resistent), but is NOT done in Thailand. The root system will be from random seeds - no telling how good/bad they'll turn out. Grafting in Thailand only incorporates using a 'special' tree for the top half - which determines the type of avocado fruit, but has no impact on the root system.

For what its worth, I have several hundered avocado seedlings in/around Pak Chong, if anyone were interested.

• 3 weeks later...

About six months ago I bought a grafted tree about 1 meter high for 250 baht at the nursery on sai yuan road just up the street from the sauna bar in nai harn. If she doesn't have anymore left (she had one more) she can order some for you. I have ordered a lime tree from her......

About six months ago I bought a grafted tree about 1 meter high for 250 baht at the nursery on sai yuan road just up the street from the sauna bar in nai harn. If she doesn't have anymore left (she had one more) she can order some for you. I have ordered a lime tree from her......

Thanks for that mate, i would not mind getting a lime tree also

I sent you a personal message through the forum

Cheers, Peter