Travelling With Guitars

HowardH

hi,

does anyone know about the rules for bringing musical instruments into Thailand?

i am looking to go over for quite some time and i want to bring 5 guitars with me for recording etc and i was wondering if they will allow me to bring them in

or if they will try to hit me for imports tax or something, i do not intend to sell them or anything like that, just use them privately

also a small recording desk, a couple of mikes etc

i want to bring them on the plane with me as i do not trust them too far away from me but as luggage not with me personally, obviously they would not fit in the overhead,

does anyone know the rules please?

thanks

HowardH

Dont know the actual rules or regulations but going by other threads posted here for similiar i would say prepare yourself to be hit for Import Duty , if it was just ONE then possibly might get away with it, but 5 and a recording desk immediately suggests working and could even cause visa issues/work permit etc for you.( IMHO).

But then if you have the necessary work papers and visa etc and all is legitimate you will almost certainly be hit with Import duty.

This thread may also be of some help:

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry2921103

Just did some quick checking on other threads and apparently you can bring/are allowed ONE instrument without issue, more than that and you're gonna pay.

Sorry its not good news for you.

Best of Luck

Edited by CharlieH

Darn, thanks for your help. i am wondering if i should go to the Thai embassy here in Perth, western Australia and make my intentions clear, and simply ask them?

You can go and talk to the Thai embassy but at the end customs in Thailand have the final word and that is the problem.

I've brought my one bass guitar over with no problem but 5 will probably raise a few eyebrows at customs. I also doubt they will let you take 5 on the plane because of carry-on limitations. Get a good hard shell travel case for them and put them underneath if they let you check that many items. I did this with mine and had no problems.

CharlieH and GotLost are correct.

There was another post only a few days ago here and I replied the same.

The only way this is possable is to have a Thai friend here who can give you a letter, his Thai id card copy, phone number etc saying that you are bringing these as a gift for him.

I also repled that most 'electronics' eg; Mic's, recording equip, PA's etc are taxed at between 300 - 700% of the "estimated' value.

One guitar is fine as CharlieH said and again as GotLost said it's all up to the Immigration officer so talking to a Thai consulate is just a waste of time. If you plan on staying here a long time you can rent and/or buy all of these items very cheap and the quality is much better these days. Or after you are here and have a Thai friend get the letter etc and have you rfriends or family ship your other items and when they show up at Customs just go in to get them and show the letter from your friend or bring him/her with you.

thanks everyone for your help. i am wondering then if i have to, would getting them shipped over there do away with all of these problems?

my girl over there tends to think that it would and also be a lot cheaper but she is no expert.

what do you think?

thanks blue grass, are you absolutely sure of this letter because i could just get her to do it for me.<br><br>i want to bring 2 acoustics<br>1 electric (classic)<br>1 rare 4 string bass<br>1 6 string bass<br><br>small all in one recording desk<br>2 mikes<br>dual compressor <br>etc<br>

thanks blue grass, are you absolutely sure of this letter because i could just get her to do it for me.<br><br>i want to bring 2 acoustics<br>1 electric (classic)<br>1 rare 4 string bass<br>1 6 string bass<br><br>small all in one recording desk<br>2 mikes<br>dual compressor <br>etc<br>

Yes I am sure 110%. Shipping it you would still need to get it out of customs at the airport. Same as if it's on a plane. Im not sure of the Luggage allowance in Australia but from Canada I was allowed the 2 pieces plus carry on. I normally bring an acoustic or banjo etc back with me but havn't been back in years. I always carried them up to the check in gate where you get on the plane and then give it to one of the luggates kids and they put it in a special care place ON the plane (not below) and hand it to you as you get off the plane.

Depending which side of bed the Immigration or Customs officer gets up on I wouldnt just have your gf there (if you ship it all) at customs saying it's a gift for her because they probably would't believe you (I know that's biast towards women but...) 99.9% it would work. Or like I say get a Thai musician or someone to give the letter, copy id card etc. You could have your gf just call the customs dept at Swampybum airport and confirm this.

here is one link to Thai Customs;

http://www.customs.g...ller/Travel.jsp

here is a link to contact Thai Customs Dept for your girlfriend to call

http://www.customscl...mid=111〈=en

PS I don't know what a "recording desk' is? If you mean a small recording unit like a fostex or something I would just put that and the mics in your check in luggage

Edited by thailandbluegrass