Try Marinating Your Beef Like This...

Michaelaway

Beef Marinade:

Make 1/3-1/2 cup of marinade, using the wet ingredients are in these proportions:

Soy Sauce- 3 parts

Italian Dressing- 2 parts (Can substitute oil & vinegar, or oil & lemon juice, 3x1. EV Olive oil is best.)

Worcestershire Sauce & Wine (together)- 1 part (Red or Chinese cooking are both good)

Garlic, minced- 2 cloves

Scallions, minced- white parts of 2

Black pepper, ground- 1/8 TSP

-In large bowl, mix all above ingredients well. Before adding the beef, wash and dry it. Then, using 1 or 2 forks, poke the beef all over, on both sides. Then, add the beef to the bowl containing the marinade, making sure it is fully covered by the liquid. Marinate for 3 hours up to overnight, turning regularly (we did our's overnight).

-To cook, broil each side to personal taste; you can baste with marinade as you go.

Lemme know what you think...

B)

can marinate beef or pork with pretty well most of the stuff we get here in LOS . I just use a bunch of garlic, onions and salt pepper ...yum!..even with local market 150 baht/kl beef... which most expat "gourmets" seem to shun...I like it tough...lol

thanks for your tips..

david

I don't understand the OP...are you saying that you can tenderize inedible tough thai beef with the marinade mixture or that the marinade will simply make tough beef taste good?

as for tenderizing, nothing less than an hour with green papaya slices gets the job done fer me...most of the time don't even bother and grind it up instead...;)

I don't understand the OP...are you saying that you can tenderize inedible tough thai beef with the marinade mixture or that the marinade will simply make tough beef taste good?

as for tenderizing, nothing less than an hour with green papaya slices gets the job done fer me...most of the time don't even bother and grind it up instead...;)

Tried that and broke my grinder! :lol:

Ok.

The marinade & poking method that we used (and offered to everyone else) was completely successful at making our beef come out super- delicious. We bought Ribeye steaks at Makro for this recipe because I'd tried preparing the same cut, from the same place without the marinating/poking in the past... and they were reeeeeeaally chewy, and not very flavorful. This recipe and method worked great at our house; we marinated overnight, and the beef came out really tender and delicious. Hope you like it, too... that's what I'm saying.

B)

PS- Didn't say anything about inedible tough thai beef... The beef at Makro is not too bad, in my experience. The brisket is quite good if you slow-cook it.

Sorry Michaelaway. Couldn't resist as the beef (aka water buffalo) around my area are usually of leather grade. I live a long way from the big stores so do not often get the good stuff. Your recipe sounds great though and I think I will try it out on a nice cut of pork which is plentiful around here. Think should compliment pork very nicely as well. Thanks for the post and try and ignore - or better yet - enjoy the levity.:D

Add a couple of shots of coca cola and that will sweeten and soften the meat as well.

With Papaya enzymes, you have to be careful that you don't over tenderize it. I did that once [over night] and my steak turned to mush and threw it all out.

Papain (aka papaya proteinase I) is a natural protease found in papaya. It is sold as a component in powdered meat tenderizer, such as Adolph's brand.

Papain is also a home remedy treatment for jellyfish, bee, and yellow jacket (wasps) stings; mosquito bites; and possibly stingray wounds, breaking down the protein toxins in the venom.

Ok.

The marinade & poking method that we used (and offered to everyone else) was completely successful at making our beef come out super- delicious. We bought Ribeye steaks at Makro for this recipe because I'd tried preparing the same cut, from the same place without the marinating/poking in the past... and they were reeeeeeaally chewy, and not very flavorful. This recipe and method worked great at our house; we marinated overnight, and the beef came out really tender and delicious. Hope you like it, too... that's what I'm saying.

B)

PS- Didn't say anything about inedible tough thai beef... The beef at Makro is not too bad, in my experience. The brisket is quite good if you slow-cook it.

sorry, michaelaway didn't mean to offend...you are fortunate that you can access edible beef locally...I can't so i usually just grind it up...beef doesn't figure significantly into thai cuisine so not a lot around to buy and when available not good quality...as in inedible...

I'll haveta check my local makro next time I'm there...and if successful I'll try your marinade suggestion...;)

That marinade is very close to what I did before - minus the Worcestershire Sauce.

Try marinating in a plastic bag. Saves you a lot of marinade, if you marinade regularly you can re-use it and no need to turn the beef.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.

B)

sorry, michaelaway didn't mean to offend...you are fortunate that you can access edible beef locally...I can't so i usually just grind it up...beef doesn't figure significantly into thai cuisine so not a lot around to buy and when available not good quality...as in inedible...

I'll haveta check my local makro next time I'm there...and if successful I'll try your marinade suggestion...;)

Makro is generally OK but I get most of my meat from a Scottish butcher in Pattaya (200 baht on the bus for up to 20kgs if I can't get down there). I have many customers VERY happy with the Thai tenderloin.

If you need to have anything better than that then you need to reconsider whether Thailand is the place for you - a general comment and not directed specifically to tutsiwarrior

can marinate beef or pork with pretty well most of the stuff we get here in LOS . I just use a bunch of garlic, onions and salt pepper ...yum!..even with local market 150 baht/kl beef... which most expat "gourmets" seem to shun...I like it tough...lol

thanks for your tips..

david

Try buying Thai French beef ( French cattle raised in Thailand ) dont about all of Thailand but avaiible in Hua Hui no need to marinate , great beef.

a couple of days ago I bought a random cut of beef from a supermarket in provincial Vietnam and used it to make pot au feu, a traditional french beef stew...boiled that beef with vegetables for 2 hours with a lovely result and with wonderful edible cooked beef...

I discussed the result with a french colleague at work who is a keen amateur chef and he confirmed that this is the desired result with regard to the meat...after ingesting the boiled beef, aromatic vegetables and dynamite broth I slept deep within the bosom of her that protects the lost and unforgiven...

Tried that and broke my grinder! :lol:

Same here :D ! ...but we have now found our own special receipe for it too, the first step is to not to buy thai beef but pork, the rest come by itself.

If you have time however, just use your Vigo (possibly fully loaded) to drive on top of it, up and down for the whole night, should work :jap: