Indie, Alternative Bars And German Excnage Students In Bkk

Hawk321

Hi,

Iam in Bkk for studies, but after 6 weeks of traveling, studying i would be very pleased if I would find some other german exchange students or Indie, Alternative Bars, Concerts etc. in BKK and I dont mean Bars with a guy who plays Oasis Covers in Khaosan ;-).

It`s really tricky to get in these scene, so if you know a bar or some place with good concerts (no covers) or a place where young germans are hanging arround please tell it me.

Thanks

Try Country Road on Soi Cowboy. It's alternative and lots of young (and old) Germans! Sorry that was too easy I couldn't help it. Serioulsy I think 808 or Flix and Slim are good.bets! Inch is a cool club but too may spoiled Thais who can't handle their liquer. If you go to 808 bring your ear plugs because the sound system is incredibly loud!

i dont get it, when you go on exchange to another country, shouldnt you try to experience the new culture rather than your own? but you can find germans anywhere you go, there's a lot at my university, some are exchange, some are full time students.

i'm not really sure about alternative clubs but i'm sure some are to be found on khaosarn road somewhere. i dont really head into that part of town though cuz it's too touristy.

i dont get it, when you go on exchange to another country, shouldnt you try to experience the new culture rather than your own? but you can find germans anywhere you go, there's a lot at my university, some are exchange, some are full time students.

i'm not really sure about alternative clubs but i'm sure some are to be found on khaosarn road somewhere. i dont really head into that part of town though cuz it's too touristy.

It's a young generation thing.

The internet has helped folks realize that everyone is same same everywhere.

The internet generation is wise beyond their years.

If you think people (of any age) are "same same everywhere" then one can only assume you haven't traveled anywhere yet :) The internet tends not to educate most users, it most often just reinforces their own likes/tastes/interests.

i'm gonna agree with jdinasia here, if you think that it's the same everywhere then you havent seen enough of the world yet. i grew up all over the place, so i've experienced a lot of different cultures and i can tell you for sure that everything differs.

as for that comment about the internet, dont worry, i'm well aware of what it is, i highly doubt i am much older than you.

just go out and have fun, make friends wherever you go. if you stick to what you know, there's no adventure!

Early 20s yood should be out at RCA or some bar/club period of nationality.

but certainly no "Indie-scene" as does exist in his home country.

Honestly, there is not much of an Indie-scene here.

As he has already found out, Chaos-San road is not what he is after.

Bangkokrocks at Thonglor (or was that Ekkamai) was the nearest to an Indie-Club that I knew of.

that Club at the Phayathai-BTS used to have some concerts too (stage as big as my bathroom and on same level with the crowd - but THAT was then INDIE indeed).

In earlier years, some guys that I knew had organized some GOTH-events (patronized by 80 Farang, though).

and then there was still that US-Punk-Indie-DJ who organized events every few months or so. but his email-newsletters have all but thinned out.

the most INDIE u can get in Bangkok is in my living room here in Bangkapi with my 1.500+ Indie-/Alternative-CD's.

Don't believe it ? well, ask my neighbors (if they are able to answer your calls once they got rid of their earplugs :-------P )

oh, and I knew another German student here in my neighborhood, less than a stone-throw away.

but he has been killed about 3 years ago or so, by one of his 300+ male sexpartners he had per year.

(sadly, this is truth and not a bad joke - it was big in the Thai and Farang Media that time).

Edited by siam2007

I think every culture has the same variety of same same as every other culture.

The window dressing differs on occassion.

Your argument even disagrees with itself --- the fact that there are differing cultures tells you that they are not the same. When you travel more and see more of the world you will begin to understand that.

I think every culture has the same variety of same same as every other culture.

The window dressing differs on occassion.

Your argument even disagrees with itself --- the fact that there are differing cultures tells you that they are not the same. When you travel more and see more of the world you will begin to understand that.

Kinda like different flavors of yogurt.

The cultures are the same in the yogurt but the secondary taste is different.

Know what I mean?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There's a little Thai Ska scene that's been going for quite a few years now, it's absolutely nothing compared to the underground music scene back home in the UK or any of the big cities in Europe, North/south America or Japan but it's pretty good fun none the less. Mostly live music. Brick bar on Khao san road is a good place to start and the Jazz festivals in Hua Hin are well worth the trip. There wont be many farangs but the Thai kids in there are really friendly and will often ask you to join them in drinking whiskey and jumping around. The Musicians are really good at copying stuff but seem less good at inventing new sounds, it's funny. New Thai pop is depressingly bad stuff, but old Mor Lum and Luk Thung music from Issan can be amazing.

There was a really good compilation of thai folk music from the 60's/ 70's released recently called 'The Sound Of Siam' available on itunes. Here's a link to one of the tunes on youtube.

Sorry, gone off on a bit of a tangent there!

Actually i'm looking to buy any old thai vinyl if anyone knows where i can get hold of any i'd love to hear it!!

Cheers,

Edited by easethesqueeze

Try Country Road on Soi Cowboy. It's alternative and lots of young (and old) Germans! Sorry that was too easy I couldn't help it. Serioulsy I think 808 or Flix and Slim are good.bets! Inch is a cool club but too may spoiled Thais who can't handle their liquer. If you go to 808 bring your ear plugs because the sound system is incredibly loud!

i think 808 has changed names now.. i went to the grand opening night 2 weeks ago was good but the aircon was broken or something was so hot but it is a good place.. about the germans no idea the only germans i have met has been old men.. maybe try find some other friends maybe thai i sometimes go down to a place in ratchayothin called wink bar.. they get indie bands etc and its cheap.. but everytime i have been i have been only farang but everyone there around 20-30 just there for music and party..