Ac In Thailand

jaloochapurr

The wattage and amperage would not be a factor but the voltage and Hertz would. As you are posting from Florida, must assume you do not have a 220v 50Hz model so it would not be economically usable here and would probably burn out if only rated 60Hz even if you used a transformer to change voltage. And you should plan on buying much more than a small US type window unit if you expect to keep cool in Thailand.

Working A/C units are readily available here, probably for less than the cost of shipping your 110V 60Hz unit from The States.

It wont work when you get here, power in Thailand is 220V 50Hz. You will need a big converter to handle A/C, even then 50Hz will probably fry the motors.

Buy here and save the headaches :D

BTW Your TV and VCR won't work either so don't bring them. :o

Working A/C units are readily available here, probably for less than the cost of shipping your 110V 60Hz unit from The States.

It wont work when you get here, power in Thailand is 220V 50Hz. You will need a big converter to handle A/C, even then 50Hz will probably fry the motors.

Come on Crossy, almost all home electronics work on 110-240v, 50-60 hz,

look on the back of your TV/DVD etc. :D

Naka

What's happened to the StreamGuys spead test? I also get the Licence Expired message. Maybe this is just a temporary message.

Anyway, try this test.

http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97

Also, please post your results to compare with other broadband users in Thailand.

Naka

1. The USA uses NTSC color system. Here in Thailand it is PAL.

2. Virtually no consumer electronics in the USA will operate on anything but 120v. It is cheaper to build them that way and that is how they build them at such a low cost for the US market.

What's happened to the StreamGuys spead test? I also get the Licence Expired message. Maybe this is just a temporary message.

Anyway, try this test.

http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97

Also, please post your results to compare with other broadband users in Thailand.

Naka

1. The USA uses NTSC color system. Here in Thailand it is PAL.

2. Virtually no consumer electronics in the USA will operate on anything but 120v. It is cheaper to build them that way and that is how they build them at such a low cost for the US market.

Sometimes they don't wanna listen Lop :D There's a question of taxes and duties to consider as well.

What I need to know is it possible to bring to thailand a small ac unit and for it too work.

Can anyone tell me the wattage and especially the ampage that is there. I would assume the amps are what will really matter.

plenty of carrier and hitachi units there already and no voltage conversion problems.

in the usa they sell lots of chinese made a/c's now. i paid 96 dollars for a 5000 btu

unit last month. dont know how long it will last. haven't had much luck with cheap chinese made stuff lately. Had to get it because my central a/c unit motor got

zapped by lightning and i needed a backup. ###### thing had microprocessor chips in the ###### motor! real expensive to replace i might add. I like those simple units they have over in thailand. the simpler the better.

i hear its washing machines in thailand that really give you the problems

Edited by bakachan

now I thank all for the comments.

From what I understand some of you say there are cheap units available in Thailand. It this so? I am just looking for a small window unit to put in my Mother-law house when I visit. Just something to put in the window so when we visit will not be so hot. I personally have not seen any such units there, have you?

Thank all in advance.

post-7789-1126608001_thumb.jpg

look on the back of your TV/DVD etc.  :o

Naka

Not a valid comparison!!

The low power supplies in TV's etc are designed to output DC power at low voltages and are not comparible to an Air Conditioner.

Although the US units are probably designed for 220 volts, they are not designed

for 50Hz and will not work at design capacity.

You will also have a problem sourcing spares for the electrical side.

It will be much better buying a unit here, designed for the job.

I have had several window units in the past here in Thailand but would never buy again as they are noisy and rust out quickly. Not to mention the fact Thai windows are not designed for them.

Cheap split system units can be purchased at about 1 baht per btu. Good name brands for about twice that.

Central Air Conditioning also makes an in-house unit that fits to an insulated bedspread type awning to cover bed area if all you want is something to keep you cool at night.

I would not even consider anything below 9,000 btu for even a small room here and currently use 13, 13, 17 and 18,000 units in four bedrooms. Thai homes are also not insulated so they do have to perform better than in US where you have air tight rooms and insulated walls/windows.

Naka

Er, what about NTSC?????

Tis PAL here.

Edited by Crossy

For you people discussing DVD players. I bought one from the US about 5 years ago, and bought an electric converter for it. I accidently forgot to plug it into the converter one time, instead hooking up to a regular power point. It worked and has worked since--no problem. Also no problem with color etc.

I've not seen the window A/C units here, but I know they are available in Hong Kong.