Bangkok Merchants Fear Repeat Of Unrest After Bail Of Red-Shirt Leaders

webfact

Merchants Fear Repeat of Unrest After Bail of Red-shirt Leaders

Although the government is confident that its move to grant bail to seven red-shirt leaders will alleviate the political tension, merchants fear that it will bring about additional unrest.

Merchants around the Ratchaprasong and the Victory Monument areas in Bangkok expressed their opposition to the court's decision to grant bail to the seven leaders of the red-shirt Democractic Alliance Against Dictatorship.

The merchants believe the leaders will incite more chaos like the ones that had crippled their businesses last year.

After the red-shirt protest was dispersed by security authorities on May 19, unidentified men torched retail shops, shopping malls, banks, and several commercial buildings in various business districts across the country.

Many retailers fear the same trouble will resurface taking away their only means of income.

Some stores have just begun to recover from the damage while some are still suffering the effects as they say they have not received any support from the government.

Many complain that the government does not take their problems seriously.

Stores have been asked to fill out documents and have had to carry out lengthy processes, but still have not received any help.

Merchants in the Victory Monument said that while they hope the worst will not happen, they are preparing to handle the situation by uniting to protect their property and to keep their stores open even during the unrest.

Retailers say the best case scenario would be for all Thais to reconcile for the sake of the nation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-28

footer_n.gif

... of course they fear a repeat of the unrest of last year ... though, I suggest the threat of violence now has little to do with the Red leaders of last year's street violence being released.

... a sizeable percentage of the Thai population is "mad as hell and are not going to take it anymore" ... their drive to change an autocratic system horribly infected by bone-deep corruption, incompetence, greed and nepotism seems to have reached the critical mass for self-determination, and they are likely continue their dissent whether the former Red leaders are released, or not.

... the scent of change is in the air ... it is blowing across a number of nations, the most obvious being the Arabic-speaking nations ... Thais are now connected to the rest of the world and not oblivious to what is happening in the Middle East (to an earlier Thai generation, that might not have been the case).

... that must motivate them ... change is coming ... to a nation such as Thailand, for whom resisting change is a cultural trait, change must be frightening, especially to the ruling elitists ... but, it is coming.

... in an inflexible system incapable of accomodating change (REAL change), the threat to civil order is not a surprise ... a better system, fairer and responsible to all the people of Thailand, rather than the entitled elitists, would not be so brittle.

... regrets to the retailers (particularly the filthy rich dynastic families controlling huge swaths across Thailand's retail sector - e.g. Central World, Gaysorn Plaza), but the threat of violence on Thailand's path toward a more reponsible system is very real ... many Thais could be hurt during Thailand's transition from feudalism, but all Thais will be benefitted.

... what a fascinating place to be, close and on the frontg row, witnessing a nation struggle with monumental social, economic and political change ... hopefully, violence can be averted, but look at the history here.

Edited by swillowbee

... a sizeable percentage of the Thai population is "mad as hell and are not going to take it anymore" ... their drive to change an autocratic system horribly infected by bone-deep corruption, incompetence, greed and nepotism seems to have reached the critical mass for self-determination, and they are likely continue their dissent whether the former Red leaders are released, or not.

Why do they only get "mad as hell and not going to take it any more" this time of year?

/edit - Also, what are they waiting for? The Arab uprisings have gathered much momentum very quickly. Why is it taking these guys so long?

Edited by Insight

Why do they only get "mad as hell and not going to take it any more" this time of year?

Every Thai person can answer that

Every Thai person can answer that

"We're gonna get 'mad as hell and not going to take it any more' until we win or.... we have to go back to our regular jobs."

... of course they fear a repeat of the unrest of last year ... though, I suggest the threat of violence now has little to do with the Red leaders of last year's street violence being released.

... the scent of change is in the air ... it is blowing across a number of nations, the most obvious being the Arabic-speaking nations ... Thais are now connected to the rest of the world and not oblivious to what is happening in the Middle East (to an earlier Thai generation, that might not have been the case).

... that must motivate them ... change is coming ... to a nation such as Thailand, for whom resisting change is a cultural trait, change must be frightening, especially to the ruling elitists ... but, it is coming.

... in an inflexible system incapable of accomodating change (REAL change), the threat to civil order is not a surprise ... a better system, fairer and responsible to all the people of Thailand, rather than the entitled elitists, would not be so brittle.

... regrets to the retailers (particularly the filthy rich dynastic families controlling huge swaths across Thailand's retail sector - e.g. Central World, Gaysorn Plaza), but the threat of violence on Thailand's path toward a more reponsible system is very real ... many Thais could be hurt during Thailand's transition from feudalism, but all Thais will be benefitted.

... what a fascinating place to be, close and on the frontg row, witnessing a nation struggle with monumental social, economic and political change ... hopefully, violence can be averted, but look at the history here.

Just in time. Let them out in February. They try and organize in March. And then they cause as many problems as they can in April and May, just like last year. I'm starting to wonder if the leaders of the colored shirt movements are not really from AREA 51. ET go home.

The merchants believe the leaders will incite more chaos like the ones that had crippled their businesses last year.

After the red-shirt protest was dispersed by security authorities on May 19, unidentified men torched retail shops, shopping malls, banks, and several commercial buildings in various business districts across the country.

Many retailers fear the same trouble will resurface taking away their only means of income.

They are most likely correct.

We ALL know that most of the red shirts are a bunch of drunken, violent thugs....

As opposed to the yellows who requested that the police search them for alcohol and weapons.

Why do people here have to be so cynical, yes it is the start of the protest season for good reason. Many red shirts are country folk, farm workers, they have families to feed, their free time is after the harvest. What is so sinister about that? Yellow shirts are on their home ground, they can work and protest in shifts, in fact they do.

Why do people here have to be so cynical, yes it is the start of the protest season for good reason. Many red shirts are country folk, farm workers, they have families to feed, their free time is after the harvest. What is so sinister about that? Yellow shirts are on their home ground, they can work and protest in shifts, in fact they do.

Farming must be a really profitable business in Thailand. Last year lots spent three solid months in Bangkok and managed to come back regularly again later in the year. Now those yellow-shirt have to work and protest in shifts, poor bastards.

Farming must be a really profitable business in Thailand. Last year lots spent three solid months in Bangkok and managed to come back regularly again later in the year. Now those yellow-shirt have to work and protest in shifts, poor bastards.

Rubl, you obviously wear a bright yellow shirt, so there is no point in rising to your comments anymore than there would be to a Red shirt.

I wear an orange shirt, I can see valid arguments on both sides of the divide. But don't let me put you off, carry on with your biased cynicism.

By the way, I'm sorry to hear you understand so little about the economics of rural farming, you seem to be confusing farming with being the middlemen millers and exporters. Now that is really profitable, but you have to be an elite to do that.

Rubl, you obviously wear a bright yellow shirt, so there is no point in rising to your comments anymore than there would be to a Red shirt.

I wear an orange shirt, I can see valid arguments on both sides of the divide. But don't let me put you off, carry on with your biased cynicism.

By the way, I'm sorry to hear you understand so little about the economics of rural farming, you seem to be confusing farming with being the middlemen millers and exporters. Now that is really profitable, but you have to be an elite to do that.

The type of farming you speak about reminds me of hammer and that thing that sounds like bicycle :unsure:

I guess you're trying to tell me the middlemen millers and exporters financed the three months holiday in Bangkok ?

Independent of which color shirt I wear there is no need to rise to my comments. They're my opinion anyway, just like you write down yours. Now please excuse me, I have to join my fellow workers. I'm not in a position to have a paid-for three months holiday in Bangkok, I just live and work here ;)

In OP:

"Merchants in the Victory Monument said that while they hope the worst will not happen, they are preparing to handle the situation by uniting to protect their property and to keep their stores open even during the unrest."

Protecting property how? Having armed security in shops? I have no any clue what other way they think to do it.

Nice idea and playing with matches but sitting on the barrel of gasoline.

So, in case of some situation, some one could have idea to use that armed force to open fire as for protection and that would be again mess? And after all, again no one will know for sure what initiate all mess.

I hope they will not do that.

They said government didn't give any help until now so perhaps that is reason they will be open as trying to get any money so later they will not depend on govt's help? :( Headaches....

their drive to change an autocratic system horribly infected by bone-deep corruption, incompetence, greed and nepotism seems to have reached the critical mass for self-determination,

That description fits the Pheu Thai Party perfectly. Do you want them and Thaksin back into power?

Do you think Thaksin is not part of the elite? See this post for a list of Shinawatra's business interests in Thailand: SHINAWATRA’S BUSINESS NETWORK

... regrets to the retailers (particularly the filthy rich dynastic families controlling huge swaths across Thailand's retail sector

See my previous response and the post I linked to.

... what a fascinating place to be, close and on the frontg row, witnessing a nation struggle with monumental social, economic and political change ...

You're witnessing a power struggle, not a poor & downtrodden-versus-elite or fight-for-democracy movement, Though the UDD are trying to make it seem so through perception management (with the help of Robert Amsterdam whom Thaksin has hired for such a purpose).

Edited by hyperdimension

Whichever way the election works out, if it still goes ahead, there will be a mass of people who are not overly content with life. There may not be the same degree of change that has taken place in the Middle East and the northern fringe of Africa, but the discontented will feel that if it's OK for people in Tunisia, Libya, Yemen, etc. to protest, then it's OK for them too.

I am not convinced that as many people here are ready to die for change, but I think street protests will be quite large when they do take place, although many might not take to the streets if they believe their cause is being hijacked by the loony reds once again.

It is very possible that those lowly Thais lucky enough to make it back from Libya will stoke the fire even further with tales of how chaos appears to be bringing down the Libyan regime. They will believe with some justification, that if a brutal regime like that in Libya can be replaced, then the same is true for Thailand, a pussycat by comparison despite its many generals and unnecessarily large military budget.

The protests here - be they yellow or reds or blues - really have nothing in common with the demonstrations in Libya or Egypt.

No chanting, no songs, no individual stake in things just the silly hand clappers and endless hours of morons on the PA system.

Next time they close a street or set up a barricade in front a business people need to get very violent, very fast and get rid the slobs. I mean motorists getting out of their cars and demanding a road be opened.

Until that happens they'll get what they deserve, a bunch of slack-jawed simpletons set up in the street like it's a goddamn camping trip.

Maybe these simpletons will finally stop bringing their dam_n kids as well - they clearly hate them to bring them to a place that's likely to be attacked.

The whole thing makes me sick with disgust and contempt. :bah:

Whichever way the election works out, if it still goes ahead, there will be a mass of people who are not overly content with life. There may not be the same degree of change that has taken place in the Middle East and the northern fringe of Africa, but the discontented will feel that if it's OK for people in Tunisia, Libya, Yemen, etc. to protest, then it's OK for them too.

I am not convinced that as many people here are ready to die for change, but I think street protests will be quite large when they do take place, although many might not take to the streets if they believe their cause is being hijacked by the loony reds once again.

It is very possible that those lowly Thais lucky enough to make it back from Libya will stoke the fire even further with tales of how chaos appears to be bringing down the Libyan regime. They will believe with some justification, that if a brutal regime like that in Libya can be replaced, then the same is true for Thailand, a pussycat by comparison despite its many generals and unnecessarily large military budget.

They've had plenty of change over the last 10 years. Why would they want to die for more of the same?

Despite the advent of colour to differentiate political views, I guess the politicians have not figured out they should dress in white (cowards??). But do we really care if the released Red Shirts create more strife? Then we can bring in the army, move them all out (both colours) under force and do what the Govt should have done months ago... ph34r.gif

Well well well! Looks like all the great gurus are onboard here now! What do you guys get from chanting in here? What you guys get for flattering around here. It's Thais problem and they will learn to solve it their way. Sorry if you don't know what to do, just pay a visit o hell. I hate this big mouth stupid people.

The protests here - be they yellow or reds or blues - really have nothing in common with the demonstrations in Libya or Egypt.

No chanting, no songs, no individual stake in things just the silly hand clappers and endless hours of morons on the PA system.

Next time they close a street or set up a barricade in front a business people need to get very violent, very fast and get rid the slobs. I mean motorists getting out of their cars and demanding a road be opened.

Until that happens they'll get what they deserve, a bunch of slack-jawed simpletons set up in the street like it's a goddamn camping trip.

Maybe these simpletons will finally stop bringing their dam_n kids as well - they clearly hate them to bring them to a place that's likely to be attacked.

The whole thing makes me sick with disgust and contempt. :bah:

finally someone who says it. Yes, thats what it'll take. took the army 3 months, and the police loved the reds and were also cowards.

Hope they fight 'em away quickly. Maybe if they throw job applications and books at them, they'll disperse even more quickly.