Thai Airways Enforce Waistline Rules On Their Flight Attendants

webfact

In America (my country) companies like to say they do not discriminate against gender, age, physical looks and... and ... when hiring. -But a good looking 25 year old will get a job over a aging 40 year old for a position -- not only because of age, but because the other person is cheaper to hire. Look at Fox News, do you ever see a member of their news team that is ugly and over 40??? Yet, this particular news (?) agency will accuse various companies or government organizations for discrimination (by the way, I am not a Fox fan.

I like the thai way of just saying what they really want for job qualifications than lying and acting like they are open to all applicants.

Greta Van Susteren.....

Are people of your country ( America) aware of the fact that this topic isn't about your favorite News channel, nor the of course immense- number of soap operas.

No country for old men. :jap:

????? you can't read - you missed the message. (doesn't matter what country)

Even back in the mid nineties I was working at Heathrow and I remember Virgin airlines had a policy of employing all model class cabin crew and once they were starting to show signs of age or getting bigger they'd be given a counter or admin job at the airport.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4) A young, tight, well formed fanny that pushes up against your arm when she leans over to the next aisle, as opposed to an overweight, old, sloppy one

5) A bustline in the top 5% in cup size should also be mandatory then!

Yes, and for men, cocks in the biggest 5% should be mandatory too! I want to see a nice bulge in the pants. Nothing like having a slightly stiff package rubbing up against your arm when he leans over you. Oh, and the guys should have flat abs (no beer bellies....that's why we left the guys in the west!), broad shoulders, and bulging muscles....better to throw me down with. ;)

There you go! Now you're speakin' the language. Well done.

Does this mean they are not allowed anymore to take home those tins of caviar from 1st class ? :rolleyes:

.. nor the truffles, nor the petit fleurs, nor the cheeses, nor the Belgian chocolates, nor the... (sad time indeed for a peckish space hopper-cum-air steward!!!)

:lock: '.. Looking for the sweet-trolley, dear?' :wai:

That sounds a great idea recruit a whole team of them...Can just visualise it now a party on every flight!!..Nothing would get done,any problem passenger would just get their drink spiked and you wouldn't need to buy any of them lady drinks...the mind boggles!!!

I guess the ideal figure is the Karen Carpenter look, singer from the 1970's. Though if they get to thin, if there is a crack in the plane, they might just slip through the cracks.

This is a re--SHAPE for Thai Inter.,...................My idea is, it's an excuse to shed some mishapen bodies, cause some Hi So's daughters are wanting to get work on one of the worlds most prestigious airlines (cough).

To add they could select some nice young friendly bar girls to promote the tourist industry, most speak reasonable English, overhead lockers no problem in their short skirts, no-one would fool with them on the plane unless the wanted a black eye. They would be more than willing to acept your visa card for payments. You would have a good choice as the age group for these girls start from 15 ish-55 ish. Think of the party climate that they would create on the journey.

I have no dea why appearance would make a difference if there were a real crisis. Personally, I want a competent flight attendant who won't lose their cool and panic in a crisis situation and it wouldn't matter if he or she was overweight with a face like a horse.

There should be size limits on passengers too! It is not too cool to be sitting next to a 300 lb person.

Absolutely! I refuse to if that happens. You should see their faces when I loudly complain in front of the whole plane that the person next to me encroaches on my seat and smells.If theairline wants to carry fat people them they should make provision for them, not inflict them on other passengers.

As for air stewards/esses the onlt criteria for me is that they do their job - which on Thai Air they either cannot or are very reluctant to do.

In America (my country) companies like to say they do not discriminate against gender, age, physical looks and... and ... when hiring. -But a good looking 25 year old will get a job over a aging 40 year old for a position -- not only because of age, but because the other person is cheaper to hire. Look at Fox News, do you ever see a member of their news team that is ugly and over 40??? Yet, this particular news (?) agency will accuse various companies or government organizations for discrimination (by the way, I am not a Fox fan.

I like the thai way of just saying what they really want for job qualifications than lying and acting like they are open to all applicants.

which companies or gov. org. does fox says discriminates! you making that up?

:)

I think many of those passengers just watched that demonstration very closely for the first time in their lives, and I would've too. biggrin.gif

I am sure very few if any where actually listening to the message or looking at how to use the safety devices ... kind of the same attention/respect they will give to these dancers in the event of an emergency.

As a fellow Yank, it appears to me that to get a job as a flight attendant with a US airline, (UA stands out in particular), a woman must be overweight, at least 40 and have the bedside manner of Nurse Ratchett.

which companies or gov. org. does fox says discriminates! you making that up?

Fox news seems to be living proof that beauty is only skin deep - in fact I'm not sure in their case it is even deeper than their make-up

If they cracked down on fat passengers, I would consider flying with them again.

Flying a plane uses fuel and each kilo requires a certain amount of fuel to get sky-born and complete the journey. Fat people smell, use more space and more fuel so they should be put in seats away from others and charged by the kilo.

HOWEVER..... discriminating on the grounds of image and having an arbitrary yardstick such as waistline is just another example of how Thailand's ruling classes are a bunch of incompetent no-hopers who have only got the job through nepotism or graft.

I hope Thai Air continue to be the laughing stock of the aviation industry and this little snippet will add to their continued embarassment.

in the meantime I'll continue to search of other airlines rather than fly with this miserable bunch of wanke_rs.

and people with no brain are really annoying yet others have the pleasure to put up with them in every day life.

You should continue your search for other airlines who accomodate "special" ones, or you can always stay in Oz and do a huge favor to the rest of the world

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Lovely! you don't seem to be able to understand a single word! -

Even back in the mid nineties I was working at Heathrow and I remember Virgin airlines had a policy of employing all model class cabin crew and once they were starting to show signs of age or getting bigger they'd be given a counter or admin job at the airport.

Virgin? And what sort of accent do you call that??? While we are in a lets-be-insensitive mood...if these Virgin attendants can't speak English clearly, they should just stick to toilet cleaning duties because accents like that belong there. :bah:

And sack them if they are fat, old and can't speak properly...oh, most of them have ended up in Pattaya.

I think many of those passengers just watched that demonstration very closely for the first time in their lives, and I would've too. biggrin.gif

I am sure very few if any where actually listening to the message or looking at how to use the safety devices ... kind of the same attention/respect they will give to these dancers in the event of an emergency.

Debbie Downer sad.gif

Oh yes, like on a Thai job application where they ask who your parents are and their occupations. (A few years ago they all included grandparents and some applications still do.) Sure they are up front and honest alright - that is the "Thai way". It is like a sign that says: "We want to know who your people are to prevent any undeserved social mobility that goes against the status quo. Children of rice farmers, no matter how well educated you have somehow managed to become, how well you have bleached your skin and cleaned up your diction, will be shunned in favour of someone from a "good" family.

I miss America's blunt honesty as well - like how in the 50s they would just put up a sign saying "no coloreds allowed".

And of course there is the alternate explanation in this case put forward by the labour ministry woman herself (the one designated to protect the interests of the employees) that the company may just concerned for their employees' health. Oh yeah, that must be it. No obfuscation or sugar coating here.

Both male and female hostesses are obligated to maintain their waistline at no more than 35 and 32 inches respectively.

Male hostesses? :whistling:

In all seriousness though, this doesn't surprise me at all. Many professions in Thailand hire based on appearance because it gets more business. Even in the overly PC West there are professions like this, such as models, presenters at conventions, administrattive assistants, etc. that are hired either based on appearance, or with appearance as a major factor. Not in all cases, but there is a tendency.

Edited by oevna

Bah still pretty ignorant if you ask me. I don't care if the stewardess is skinny or fat young or old, I just want her to ;

1) Speak and understand English

2) Be Pleasant and helpful

3) Smell nice

it's also a nice bonus for stewardESSes to have

4) A young, tight, well formed fanny that pushes up against your arm when she leans over to the next aisle, as opposed to an overweight, old, sloppy one

nothing wrong with these regulations...

yes, slightly overweight people aren't going to be much more healthy than people who are thinner, but the job IS also about attractiveness. airlines need to maintain an image. stewards/esses who can't keep themselves in halfway decent shape don't exactly help with that. go find a desk job somewhere if you can't keep yourself fit.

that being said, i would definitely prefer a slightly overweight, friendly flight attendant to a bitchy, attractive one. i've had some flights where they were awesome looking, but no smiles to anyone... bad move there and hopefully they don't just discriminate against looks, but how they appear also.

No I totaly disagree. You sound like the kinda guy that would bang your maid or secretary. Foolish, never sleep with the help. The help is better that way. When I get on a flight I want attentiveness, proffessionalisim, generosity, and hygiene from my stewardesses. It's the same things I like from a soapy massage too, however attractiveness is much more of an issue with the massage. But for your servant in the sky, what difference dose it make how young or pretty she is?

Debbie Downer sad.gif

It hardly matters... those "safety devices" (seatbelts aside) rarely if ever save lives anyway - it is the same illusion as airport security. Elaborate bull**it to lull you into docility.

If they cracked down on fat passengers, I would consider flying with them again.

Flying a plane uses fuel and each kilo requires a certain amount of fuel to get sky-born and complete the journey. Fat people smell, use more space and more fuel so they should be put in seats away from others and charged by the kilo.

HOWEVER..... discriminating on the grounds of image and having an arbitrary yardstick such as waistline is just another example of how Thailand's ruling classes are a bunch of incompetent no-hopers who have only got the job through nepotism or graft.

I hope Thai Air continue to be the laughing stock of the aviation industry and this little snippet will add to their continued embarassment.

in the meantime I'll continue to search of other airlines rather than fly with this miserable bunch of wanke_rs.

Many airlines do require obese people to buy two seats. However, I wasn't aware that "fat people smell'

As for a person's weight effecting fuel consumption ... I think the effects are small very small. Consider too that during winter months typical passengers weight will increase from 2 to 8 pounds because of winter clothing.

As for Thai Airways being a "laughing stock" ... not only is it profitable (100%+ profits up last year) it also is often ranked within the top 10 as being one of the best airlines by travelers. However, I don't think they are doing themselves much service with this news story.

I hope Thai Air continue to be the laughing stock of the aviation industry and this little snippet will add to their continued embarrassment.

Many airlines do require obese people to buy two seats. However, I wasn't aware that "fat people smell'

As for a person's weight effecting fuel consumption ... I think the effects are small very small. Consider too that during winter months typical passengers weight will increase from 2 to 8 pounds because of winter clothing.

As for Thai Airways being a "laughing stock" ... not only is it profitable (100%+ profits up last year) it also is often ranked within the top 10 as being one of the best airlines by travelers. However, I don't think they are doing themselves much service with this news story.

Fat people smell because bacteria live in the folds of their skin, and are frequently not effectively washed away. In the folds of skin (washed or otherwise)the breeding rate is much faster than other people. Sadly most fat people are "used" to their own smell and don't realise how bad it is. Large muscular people don't usually have the smell problem.....of course they do cause the other problems.

as for the weight - Say for example that an average male is about 80 kilos - they are allowed to take on board 20 to 30 kg of luggage - the reason for this limit is that if you multiply it several times it makes a significant increase in the weight of the aircraft cargo (25%), which then has to carry and burn more fuel.

so perhaps a solution would be a trade off between body weight and the amount of luggage . That way each pax would weigh more or less the same. however it does not address the inconvenience caused to other passengers. This requires alternative seating

Edited by Deeral