Thai Airways Enforce Waistline Rules On Their Flight Attendants

webfact

A perfect example of when NOT being PC is a very good thing!

CAREFUL HOW MUCH WE NOD OUR HEADS ON THIS ISSUE. I think they are getting their shop in order before the next inevitable step which is:- The Airlines charging for excess weight for passengers themselves(not passenger baggage). It's coming! Ryan Air charging for the toilet on the plane, where do they go next? They might start at, lets say 80Kg. If you are 100kg then you would be charged 'a fuel surcharge" on 20Kg. Get your track suits on you fat lot.

Hunkey Dorey

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they cracked down on fat passengers, I would consider flying with them again.

Flying a plane uses fuel and each kilo requires a certain amount of fuel to get sky-born and complete the journey. Fat people smell, use more space and more fuel so they should be put in seats away from others and charged by the kilo.

HOWEVER..... discriminating on the grounds of image and having an arbitrary yardstick such as waistline is just another example of how Thailand's ruling classes are a bunch of incompetent no-hopers who have only got the job through nepotism or graft.

I hope Thai Air continue to be the laughing stock of the aviation industry and this little snippet will add to their continued embarassment.

in the meantime I'll continue to search of other airlines rather than fly with this miserable bunch of wanke_rs.

and people with no brain are really annoying yet others have the pleasure to put up with them in every day life.

You should continue your search for other airlines who accomodate "special" ones, or you can always stay in Oz and do a huge favor to the rest of the world

Sorry, but why did this person's opinion offend you? Why exactly should they stay in Oz? What, if I may ask, makes you so "special"?

If they cracked down on fat passengers, I would consider flying with them again.

Flying a plane uses fuel and each kilo requires a certain amount of fuel to get sky-born and complete the journey. Fat people smell, use more space and more fuel so they should be put in seats away from others and charged by the kilo.

HOWEVER..... discriminating on the grounds of image and having an arbitrary yardstick such as waistline is just another example of how Thailand's ruling classes are a bunch of incompetent no-hopers who have only got the job through nepotism or graft.

I hope Thai Air continue to be the laughing stock of the aviation industry and this little snippet will add to their continued embarassment.

in the meantime I'll continue to search of other airlines rather than fly with this miserable bunch of wanke_rs.

Many airlines do require obese people to buy two seats. However, I wasn't aware that "fat people smell'

As for a person's weight effecting fuel consumption ... I think the effects are small very small. Consider too that during winter months typical passengers weight will increase from 2 to 8 pounds because of winter clothing.

As for Thai Airways being a "laughing stock" ... not only is it profitable (100%+ profits up last year) it also is often ranked within the top 10 as being one of the best airlines by travelers. However, I don't think they are doing themselves much service with this news story.

I am not surprised their profits are high - their prices are absurd. I don;t know why anyone chooses to fly with them internationally when there are better airlines available for less.

And so what's wrong with having flight attendants who possess all the important functional qualifications, as well as having good, healthy bodies? Thai, Cathay Pacific and Singapore are the cream of the Industry. Why shouldn't we expect the best in every aspect of the journey. I applaud the new regulation, and hope it can be set as a standard without too much fuss. These are not "Twiggy" dimensions as seen in the fashion industry, they are simply an approach to better health.

Three cheers for Thai, and they get my booking.

Funny: for me, in reference to American airlines, "FA" means "fat ass".

I hope Thai Air continue to be the laughing stock of the aviation industry and this little snippet will add to their continued embarrassment.

Many airlines do require obese people to buy two seats. However, I wasn't aware that "fat people smell'

As for a person's weight effecting fuel consumption ... I think the effects are small very small. Consider too that during winter months typical passengers weight will increase from 2 to 8 pounds because of winter clothing.

As for Thai Airways being a "laughing stock" ... not only is it profitable (100%+ profits up last year) it also is often ranked within the top 10 as being one of the best airlines by travelers. However, I don't think they are doing themselves much service with this news story.

Fat people smell because bacteria live in the folds of their skin, and are frequently not effectively washed away. In the folds of skin (washed or otherwise)the breeding rate is much faster than other people. Sadly most fat people are "used" to their own smell and don't realise how bad it is. Large muscular people don't usually have the smell problem.....of course they do cause the other problems.

as for the weight - Say for example that an average male is about 80 kilos - they are allowed to take on board 20 to 30 kg of luggage - the reason for this limit is that if you multiply it several times it makes a significant increase in the weight of the aircraft cargo (25%), which then has to carry and burn more fuel.

so perhaps a solution would be a trade off between body weight and the amount of luggage . That way each pax would weigh more or less the same. however it does not address the inconvenience caused to other passengers. This requires alternative seating

Okay, I guess we can assume fat people are unaware how to bath themselves and they all have more bacteria filled folds than an average sized person. I guess we will also assume that all thinner people have good hygiene. If we are talking about grossly overweight people then chances are they can't fit into a standard economy seat and would need to buy an additional seat.

Here are some approximate numbers to consider ... The take off weight of a large aircraft is around 1,000,000 Kilos. The fuel alone weighs about 400,000 Kilos. IF 400 passengers/crew were onboard all weighing an extra 20 kilos (45 pounds) this would add an additional 8,000 kilos or 8/10th of 1%.

A number of airlines do require very large people to buy an extra seat and this seems like a fair solution.

I hope Thai Air continue to be the laughing stock of the aviation industry and this little snippet will add to their continued embarrassment.

Fat people smell because bacteria live in the folds of their skin, and are frequently not effectively washed away. In the folds of skin (washed or otherwise)the breeding rate is much faster than other people. Sadly most fat people are "used" to their own smell and don't realise how bad it is. Large muscular people don't usually have the smell problem.....of course they do cause the other problems.

as for the weight - Say for example that an average male is about 80 kilos - they are allowed to take on board 20 to 30 kg of luggage - the reason for this limit is that if you multiply it several times it makes a significant increase in the weight of the aircraft cargo (25%), which then has to carry and burn more fuel.

so perhaps a solution would be a trade off between body weight and the amount of luggage . That way each pax would weigh more or less the same. however it does not address the inconvenience caused to other passengers. This requires alternative seating

Okay, I guess we can assume fat people are unaware how to bath themselves and they all have more bacteria filled folds than an average sized person. I guess we will also assume that all thinner people have good hygiene. If we are talking about grossly overweight people then chances are they can't fit into a standard economy seat and would need to buy an additional seat.

Here are some approximate numbers to consider ... The take off weight of a large aircraft is around 1,000,000 Kilos. The fuel alone weighs about 400,000 Kilos. IF 400 passengers/crew were onboard all weighing an extra 20 kilos (45 pounds) this would add an additional 8,000 kilos or 8/10th of 1%.

A number of airlines do require very large people to buy an extra seat and this seems like a fair solution.

Personally speaking - they should weigh the people and their bags together: some people are heavier than others which is natural while some people just are compulsive overpackers - punish them I say!!!:lol:

I'm not sure you fully understand my post as your conclusions (if that's what they are meant to be) appear to be fallacious or non-sequiturs and so are completely irrelevant to mine yet for some reason you have quoted it.

Edited by Deeral

These are not "Twiggy" dimensions as seen in the fashion industry, they are simply an approach to better health.

But you really don't believe this has anything to do with health of their employees do you?

I'm not sure you fully understand the proposal as you answer is completely irrelevant to my post yet you have quoted it.

You are suggesting they weigh each passenger before flight so that they then can confirm the ticket price?

I'm guessing there will be an additional tax depending on passenger odor level results after being put through or examined by some smelling device .... or do we just assume all fat people smell and hit them with the tax?

In America (my country) companies like to say they do not discriminate against gender, age, physical looks and... and ... when hiring. -But a good looking 25 year old will get a job over a aging 40 year old for a position -- not only because of age, but because the other person is cheaper to hire. Look at Fox News, do you ever see a member of their news team that is ugly and over 40??? Yet, this particular news (?) agency will accuse various companies or government organizations for discrimination (by the way, I am not a Fox fan.

I like the thai way of just saying what they really want for job qualifications than lying and acting like they are open to all applicants.

So that's why Fox news is so unbiased, objective, and has such intelligent news coverage. They are all young and good looking!. I wonder what Alistair Cooke would have made of all this ? Alistair who? I hear some say - oh just some old journo that seemed to be around for a long time. Don't think he was ever on Fox ?

This is purely a fuel saving green initiative that should be applauded :unsure:

Yes, this move has a dual purpose. Safety and environment. Fat does not fit down the aisle, clear and simple. Cabin Crew nees to be able to react quickly and effectively in the event of a safety issue, this is their primary task onboard.

And clearly with less kgs onboard, not only will it save fuel but will allow a few extra km/h, so flights can arrive ontime, safer and greener. Bravo TG!!

Remeber they had a cull of the old birds last year? They offered something like 19 months salary for the senior ladies to retire. They are playing catchup to the rest of Asia in this regard; did you ever see an old battleaxe on SQ? Cathay dont so wrinkles either ...

I'm not sure you fully understand the proposal as you answer is completely irrelevant to my post yet you have quoted it.

You are suggesting they weigh each passenger before flight so that they then can confirm the ticket price?

I'm guessing there will be an additional tax depending on passenger odor level results after being put through or examined by some smelling device .... or do we just assume all fat people smell and hit them with the tax?

QED

This whole country has been the laughing stock for years. One just has to live here to believe it!

Also this subject must be the most important one for years. Does anyone really care?

Edited by hardy1943

THAI insists body mass index control needed for flight attendants

Mr Teerapol said the company needed to issue such a regulation because it is one of the world’s leading airlines. THAI is also targeting becoming Asia’s third ranked airline, and already ranks among the world’s top five, so the regulation on the physical characteristics of its employees falls under the competitive profile of the company. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-03-1

By whose definition? - I remember when Thai Airways were considered cream of the crop but what Mr Teerapol seems to forget is that while flight attendants get too old and less attractive so do.......aircraft!

And so what's wrong with having flight attendants who possess all the important functional qualifications, as well as having good, healthy bodies? Thai, Cathay Pacific and Singapore are the cream of the Industry. Why shouldn't we expect the best in every aspect of the journey. I applaud the new regulation, and hope it can be set as a standard without too much fuss. These are not "Twiggy" dimensions as seen in the fashion industry, they are simply an approach to better health.

Three cheers for Thai, and they get my booking.

Funny: for me, in reference to American airlines, "FA" means "fat ass".

Exactly why is being physically attractive an important qualification - give me the motherly type who knows how to care for passengers over a "model in the sky" any day. I want someone who is concerned about my safety, my comfort and who does all they can to meet my very limited needs during a flight - for entertainment then I will watch the seat back TV - oh no I forgot this is Thai Airways!

Totally agree with you....One of my last trips...hand luggage 8 kilos--NO hold luggage.. my total weight inc/lug--75 kilo.............I had to take out 1 kilo from my hand luggage. OR put the hand luggage in the hold. Joke-as the next person checking in 150kilos body weight--20 kilos of hold luggage and 7 kilos flight bag AND a 4 kilo lap top... did someone say the system is fair.....low and behold he slumped next to me. snoreing all the flight and was sweating (overweight)--made me sick-and used the arm rest...and the norm pigged his food down and asked for more.

Sorry but I guess thats BS, How would they do that? I never been asked for my weight when I booked a flight online and never heard someone is asked in a ticket office.

Can you name some Airlines please?

Now if I ran this Airline I would incentivize (no such word) people to make there own choice.

Only one piece of hand luggage (no checked bags) on long haul under 10kg = 5000 Baht Gift Certificate at MBK, Central, Robinsons etc

Flights from the UK would get a slightly different incentive.

Only one piece of hand luggage (no checked bags) on long haul under 10kg = 5000 Baht Gift Certificate for beer at your nearest pub.

In my opinion, while i think the rule is extremely discriminatory it is ALSO very necessary.

Say male flight attendant with 40 or so inch would have real trouble getting through the isles not to mention with such waist line the stomach will go along to match.

There is also the food preparation area so if everyone is larger then "usual" they may have trouble to fit in.

I think there are some airlines now who charge "oversized" passengers double for 2 seats and give them 2 seats instead of one.

I know one of my ex employees years ago always had to pay for 2 seats or buy business class ticket, but he was 6.11 tall and around 200kg(Samoan)

Right, ask Kevin Smith about that one :lol:

I also agree that its a good thing, but I would go further and put weight restrictions on more things such as...restaurants, sky train, banks, malls, schools etc. If you are fat eat less, lose weight, get medical help or just go away. :)

The fat FAs should not need to be warned about their size. They should make it a personal requirement everyday, bacause if they can't even manage their own wellbeing ( proportional size), then how can they even manage their passengers' wellbeing?:unsure:

Sorry but I guess thats BS, How would they do that? I never been asked for my weight when I booked a flight online and never heard someone is asked in a ticket office.

I will give you five that I know of .... Continental, American, Delta, United, Air France

Edit: Being from America I read these stories or have witnessed it first hand. Obviously this is not a big issue in Asia at this time but I also believe I have read it happing on Asia Airlines too but cannot recall which ones. Being fairly thin I really don't keep up but the bottom line is it is a safety issue in terms of being able to fit between the arm rests and not intruding on another passengers seat. If someone cannot do this then they obviously would be required to take up two seats if the airline noticed or somebody complained. However, the airlines I mentioned have actual policies in place regardless if anybody complains. Oh and South West in the US also has policies in terms of large people occupying two seats.

Edited by Nisa

I will give you five that I know of .... Continental, American, Delta, United, Air France

How do they operate this fat-so system...picture it--travel agent London---1 ticket to Thai--reply yes--money please. on line purchace-credit card--thanks.

Now at the check in counter--good afternoon FATTY-another 1000 English pounds please, or you cannot board. you need to purchace another ticket......:lol: ..........If therefore you are 2 and a half met/tall-but slim. ...and weigh more than a one metre Hippo. what happens in that case....:lol: . also if you have extra long legs you pay extra and they take the seat out in front of you :lol:

The fat FAs should not need to be warned about their size. They should make it a personal requirement everyday, bacause if they can't even manage their own wellbeing ( proportional size), then how can they even manage their passengers' wellbeing?:unsure:

Can't remember which one but there was one US president who weighed like 330 pounds (150 kilos) when he left office .. obviously not too memorable of a president. At least fat people are welcomed by many Thai girls as they think they are rich. jap.gif

Edit: Being from America I read these stories or have witnessed it first hand. Obviously this is not a big issue in Asia at this time but I also believe I have read it happing on Asia Airlines too but cannot recall which ones. Being fairly thin I really don't keep up but the bottom line is it is a safety issue in terms of being able to fit between the arm rests and not intruding on another passengers seat. If someone cannot do this then they obviously would be required to take up two seats if the airline noticed or somebody complained. However, the airlines I mentioned have actual policies in place regardless if anybody complains. Oh and South West in the US also has policies in terms of large people occupying two seats.

I have also heard of other international airlines doing the same, but I can't remember which. I'd have to do some research to figure that out......but I'm not going to waste my time doing that just to appease Mr. "Well if I have never heard of it, it must be BS!" And FYI Moskito, they don't ask you about your weight when you buy tickets....it happens when you show up, and the gate agent or flight attendants deem you too large for one seat.

It's a pity that airlines don't also apply similar 'standards' to the passengers ... Here's my radical take on the issue;

Ticket prices have a weight surcharge like luggage, People 550kg and over have to pay an excess weight charge, (due to the extra fuel cost) a 'holding pen' at the airport for drunks to sober up in, their ticket to another flight and sold to someone wanting that flight,. Finally, a 'De-lousing' unit for those with personal hygiene issues. Makes life a lot more pleasant for the staff too. For unruly passengers, wrist restraints built into the armrests.