What'S Wrong With Thailand ?

Semper

In my travels and work in various countries, I have noticed security bars employed in so called first world, developing, and 3rd world countries. The use seems to have more to do with local areas than the country as a whole.

Dogs, armed guards, steel shutters, threatening signs, razor wire, etc are employed depending on the local situation and the paranoia of the property owners. The only countries where I have lived and worked that did not outwardly appear to use this type of safety??? measures were Norway and the surrounding Scandinavian countries, and unexpectedly, some of the eastern block counties. The security measures may have been there in isolated places, but I did not notice them.

Most personal property security systems are to deter spur of the moment/opportunistic petty thieves. The real professionals and the riot/plunder crowds will not be deterred by the majority of the systems/barriers.

lol yeah heard that in SA they don't stop at traffic lights in some areas because if they do, they'll risk being car jacked.

A SA guy told me he used to have some special shit on his car which would shoot flames out the sides to burn car jackers if he hit a panic button. But then they outlawed it because it was inhumane.

Thailand seems pretty laid back and friendly by comparison, I do feel relatively safe here. I've never been worried about walking home from the bars at night (maybe 10-15min walk), and likewise am not worried about leaving windows / balcony door open to keep the place cool while I pop out for lunch etc (Not dinner though, else I have too many mosquito invaders lol). I'm lucky though and live in Isaan not BKK.

But it's still a far cry from sleeply NZ, where when I lived on our family farm there, we never used to even bother locking our house, even if we went away on holiday for 2-3 weeks lol. Likewise in the country town close to us, we used to (probably not anymore as the town has slid steeply downhill now) be able to leave our cars unlocked, sometimes even keys in the ignition.

Locks only keep honest people out, anyone who really wants to come in will always do so :)

(Although of course, I'm sure that having a big ass fence with razorwire and a couple of patrolling Dobermans will make your neighbour's house look much more attractive to potential thieves)

lol yeah heard that in SA they don't stop at traffic lights in some areas because if they do, they'll risk being car jacked.

A SA guy told me he used to have some special shit on his car which would shoot flames out the sides to burn car jackers if he hit a panic button. But then they outlawed it because it was inhumane.

For the most part the thing about the traffic lights is true, but applicable early mornings and late at night only and usually around Johannesburg only

The flame thrower for the car although true was never legal, when it first came out the cops warned people anyone using it would face charges, not sure how many the guy who came up with it ever sold...:rolleyes:

I think they put bars on the windows, and those latches on the outside of entry doors that you can padlock, to promote unity and kindness, i.e., encourage folks to be nice to one another.

Because if you piss someone off, they can lock you in, light a match and......

and this is one of the draw backs of locking yourself behind bars in a house, you had better think of a sutiable way out if there is a fire....

If you dislike grills by the windows and broken glass on the walltops, just post a large sign in front of your house that says : " Dear thieves, my money is in the bank, my TV is 15 years old, my wife does not wear any gold and my living room is haunted by a ghost" . . it will surely help a bit !

They wouldn't believe that a farang had no money in his house, but I'd say the thought of a ghost would terrify them into staying away lol.

crazy how superstitious some of them are compared to westerners. One of my friends moved apartments because her other friend told her there was a spirit living in her apartment (didn't say if it was good or bad, but the thought of it just made her really uncomfortable). Have had a few others mention things in passing which made me think they were also firm believers / scared of ghosts aswell.

Semper. You don't say where you are from? But in England I have seen many places with steel bars& shutters also many walls with broken glass and spikes on the top. Many facilities also use Razor wire

jb1

yep, my first place i bought in manchester had bars on the windows at the back.

at least it was 6 years ago in the housing boom and it doubled in price within 16 months and then sold it and put the cash in the bank - woohoo.

Edited by nickmanchester2

This forum is nogal baie entertaining ...

:lol: :lol: ...I was asked a few years ago how did the South Africans cope with the elephants/lions etc walking in the streets and did they cause problems in the traffic ?...:rolleyes:

biggrin.gif

I worked at the African Athletic champs in Durban in 1993. The Two Egyptian decathletes arrived with hunting rifles and were most annoyed when they got to the hotel on the beach front and there were no wild animals!

I've seen elephants in the streets in India and Thailand ...

But yes, Africa is not for sissies. cool.gif

and this is one of the draw backs of locking yourself behind bars in a house, you had better think of a sutiable way out if there is a fire....

No locks on the outside of my house, bud, no bars either. The three rotweilers seem to be sufficient. They're even trained not to accept food without a command, so poisoning is out of the question. Appears I'm safe for the moment.

rapped by gangsters who have nothing to lose. Soon, I had enough of it and left the continent for good.

Max2010

Gangsta rap and cowboys are two of the reasons I left my continent also.

Oh, now I feel bad.

My apologies

SC

rapped by gangsters who have nothing to lose. Soon, I had enough of it and left the continent for good.

Max2010

Gangsta rap and cowboys are two of the reasons I left my continent also.

Oh, now I feel bad.

My apologies

SC

That cracked me up. Don't feel so bad. Apology accepted. Unless you hail from Crawford.