Keep Ya Mouth Shut

DiamondKing

I suggest you engage brain before attitude next time. You are lucky that you did not utter that kind of language to more intolerant locals with a shorter fuse. Calling someone a bitch is not going to win you any friends in Thailand even if it's acceptable at home. They already put up with a lot of rude and disrespectful farangs; don't add yourself to the blacklist. Just because you spend money in Thailand does not mean you are entitled to behave like a jerk. When in dispute with the locals, try to be diplomatic. Being aggressive is not going to help your situation. On the contrary, it might lead to more serious consequences. It never ceases to amaze me how some people simply don't know how to behave in a foreign country.

I guess you would of just paid the 5000 baht to be polite while she was slinging insults at you

Your right though next time I will keep my mouth shut but stil wont pay 5000 baht for a broken glass

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you would of just paid the 5000 baht to be polite while she was slinging insults at you

Your right though next time I will keep my mouth shut but stil wont pay 5000 baht for a broken glass

For what it's worth I think you were right to call her a bitch, you were merely stating a fact.

I've had a similar scenario in the past, a stupid price was demanded for some drinks which I refused. I let out a tirade of abuse about how this woman was blatantly ripping off tourists and what a bunch of c^*t$ I thought they all were, then I threw a small fraction of the money they wanted in their general direction so it landed on the floor and she had to scamper around collecting it. This wasn't in Thailand, the country shall remain nameless. I then proceeded to tell the woman in question I was going to find the tout who introduced me to the bar and beat the shit out of him. I did find him and he crapped himself as I held of him by his collars while yelling into his face explaining exactly what I thought of him. I was promptly given a full refund by the two 'barmaids' who came running at me waving my money in the air, suddenly they were eager to please me and decided that I was no longer the victim.

This is how you treat people who rip you off - you don't kiss their <deleted> and try to placate them with diplomacy. You kick their <deleted> and put them in their place.

For what it's worth I think you were right to call her a bitch, you were merely stating a fact.

I've had a similar scenario in the past, a stupid price was demanded for some drinks which I refused. I let out a tirade of abuse about how this woman was blatantly ripping off tourists and what a bunch of c^*t$ I thought they all were, then I threw a small fraction of the money they wanted in their general direction so it landed on the floor and she had to scamper around collecting it. This wasn't in Thailand, the country shall remain nameless. I then proceeded to tell the woman in question I was going to find the tout who introduced me to the bar and beat the shit out of him. I did find him and he crapped himself as I held of him by his collars while yelling into his face explaining exactly what I thought of him. I was promptly given a full refund by the two 'barmaids' who came running at me waving my money in the air, suddenly they were eager to please me and decided that I was no longer the victim.

This is how you treat people who rip you off - you don't kiss their <deleted> and try to placate them with diplomacy. You kick their <deleted> and put them in their place.

You've never been to Wigan, have you?

SC

to be fair, nor have I - I'm feart...

I got into an argument with a taxi driver once, and then I suddenly realised that there was virtually no chance of a passing random motorist or taxi driver stopping, jumping in and giving him a kicking, whereas the same was not true for me, and remembering how much this set of teeth cost, risk management principles suggested I settle up rather than squaring up

You're only young once, but if you're sensible, you can be old afterwards

SC

Big man heh!!

SC

I got into an argument with a taxi driver once, and then I suddenly realised that there was virtually no chance of a passing random motorist or taxi driver stopping, jumping in and giving him a kicking, whereas the same was not true for me, and remembering how much this set of teeth cost, risk management principles suggested I settle up rather than squaring up

SC

I've never been to Wigan but I've had many an argument with thieving taxi drivers over the years.

I do find that I've mellowed a bit since the above incident which was some 16 or 17 years ago when I was in my early twenties.

SC

SC

I've never been to Wigan but I've had many an argument with thieving taxi drivers over the years.

I do find that I've mellowed a bit since the above incident which was some 16 or 17 years ago when I was in my early twenties.

Personally, I find that when I follow people's advice to 'kick their <deleted>', I find a lot of blokes in bow-ties pushing me down the stairs, and I'm lucky if I can get away with a little bit of face-saving. And the point is that if you can kick their arse, then generally, a polite refusal to entertain outrageous suggestions will suffice. Anyway, my motto for a life of comfort is "Make sure you have more money than you know what to do with; that is not a quandary that you need to treat as a problem; God will sort it for you"; sadly, I cannot do the same with teeth...

SC

Some people just don’t seem to understand.

You will never get anywhere in Thailand using Western type aggression.

A couple of weeks ago the girlfriend and I decided to buy a cheap aluminium kitchen sink. One of those single unit jobs with a plastic waste pipe.

I already had a good idea of the prices having experience by living in Thailand for so long.

We found a shop and saw what we wanted. The lady quoted me 850 baht. I said fine; I’ll take it. Then another women appeared on the scene that I guessed was the shop owner. She interrupted the sales assistant, looked me in the eye and said, sorry, this sink is 1850 baht.

On that note I just turned my back on the women and without further ado or utterance of another word I grabbed my girlfriend and off we went. The women stared at me gob smacked and I thought, great, my actions really hit home plus she lost a sale. I found another shop only 10 metres down the road and bought the same type sink for only 750 baht.

Western type responses do not work here, by all means stand your ground but don’t lose your rag. Some of these bargirls can be vicious, the OP is lucky he didn’t get a glass smashed in his face or stabbed.

Getting around these problems in Thailand requires a subtle technique, which should be mastered by all farangs if they wish to remain safe and enjoy their lifestyle in Thailand.

Some people just don't seem to understand.

A couple of weeks ago the girlfriend and I decided to buy a cheap aluminium kitchen sink. One of those single unit jobs with a plastic waste pipe.

I already had a good idea of the prices having experience by living in Thailand for so long.

We found a shop and saw what we wanted. The lady quoted me 850 baht. I said fine; I'll take it. Then another women appeared on the scene that I guessed was the shop owner. She interrupted the sales assistant, looked me in the eye and said, sorry, this sink is 1850 baht.

On that note I just turned my back on the women and without further ado or utterance of another word I grabbed my girlfriend and off we went. The women stared at me gob smacked and I thought, great, my actions really hit home plus she lost a sale. I found another shop only 10 metres down the road and bought the same type sink for only 750 baht.

Western type responses do not work here, by all means stand your ground but don't lose your rag. Some of these bargirls can be vicious, the OP is lucky he didn't get a glass smashed in his face or stabbed.

Getting around these problems in Thailand requires a subtle technique, which should be mastered by all farangs if they wish to remain safe and enjoy their lifestyle in Thailand.

Actually, being aggressive might get some farangs somewhere. But it could be the final time they behave like that. It is their choice what they do and how they deal with a contentious situation in Thailand though they might have to learn the hard way.

Some people just don’t seem to understand.

I see - so aggression is not generally used to solve problems in Thailand......

Some of these bargirls can be vicious, the OP is lucky he didn’t get a glass smashed in his face or stabbed.

.....but it should be expected from Thai's if you merely say something they don't like. This is very contradictory.

It's almost like you're saying Thai's are not violent and should be treated with a measure of courtesy and respect at all times, but if you ever annoy one of them they will quite possibly smash a glass around your face or stab you.

Firstly, there is no way the police would file criminal charges against anyone for calling someone a name, especially if not in the public domain.

Second, if I had been the OP, I would have offered to pay 50 baht for the broken glass and denied calling the Bargirl a bitch or any other names.

As one poster has already suggested, there probably more to this than the OP is letting on.

Ok lets clear some things up

1.) I offered to pay for the broken glass but anything less than 5000 baht was not accpetable to her which is why the argument ensued and got to the point of me calling her a name.after she was demanding 5000 baht for a 20 baht glass even the Lawyer today told her that was not a reasonable request.

2.) I spent this afternoon in the Police station and the charges I am told are already filed by HER, (not the Police) I received a registered summons to the Police station and the meeting today was to try and clear it however my apologies were not accepted and she refused to withdraw the charge and it will now proceed to the next step whatever that is. I specifically asked what is it for and was told for calling her a F bitch and the lady lawyer that works at the Police station told me the charges are already laid and will now go forward to be processed since she did not accept my apolgies.

3.) there is more to the story but nothing juicy or anything that I did other than I break a glass and then after her calling me a Kwai and demanding 5000 baht that is when I called her a Bitch nothing else to it although I realize it sounds strange LOL the whole thing is strange to me lol

I also cant beleive that charges would be filed just for calling her a name but I was not imagining being in the Police station several time and being specifically told its for calling her a Bitch

Dk

shouldnt you give a cupple thousand to police to make it all go away? its not like you killed somebody

Now ask yourself, what would a Thai man have done in this situation? He would have beat her until she begged for mercy, that's what.

She won't back down now as it would be a loss of face since she caused such a ruckus.

For the OP, next time you want to cuss a whore in a bar, use another language which she doesn't understand. You still get the satisfaction and it will just piss them off that much more.

Edited by KeyserSoze01

I suggest you engage brain before attitude next time. You are lucky that you did not utter that kind of language to more intolerant locals with a shorter fuse. Calling someone a bitch is not going to win you any friends in Thailand even if it's acceptable at home. They already put up with a lot of rude and disrespectful farangs; don't add yourself to the blacklist. Just because you spend money in Thailand does not mean you are entitled to behave like a jerk. When in dispute with the locals, try to be diplomatic. Being aggressive is not going to help your situation. On the contrary, it might lead to more serious consequences. It never ceases to amaze me how some people simply don't know how to behave in a foreign country.

Well, for your information they do behave that way. Here is some advice for you, if you don't like it you are free to leave B)

15.000....? That sounds expensive. You should send a note to the financial whiz-kid of this forum, he'll give you a few pointers on gardeners and other stuff you can employ in order to make it cheaper.

Did I mention they have to be biling....triling...multilingual?

Wayyyy to expensive! The other day I was insulted (again) by some low-life employee in my apartment building. I told him in no uncertain terms to 'shut up', after which he assaulted me, hitting my wrist with a big baseball-bat like stick. I filed a police complaint. The boys in brown told me that the maximum charge for assault is 500(!!) baht if you get really beaten up or cut with a knife. In a less serious case like mine the assailant will be charged just 200 baht.. Watch out guys, a life is cheap in Thailand. <_<

Now ask yourself, what would a Thai man have done in this situation? He would have beat her until she begged for mercy, that's what.

Precisely

Agree. It's not likely that the police would follow through with the case. (I had to file two complaints recently; one for stolen items, one for assault). Don't pay outrageous sums of money to the scammers; police fines are ridiculously low in Thailand.

This is how you treat people who rip you off - you don't kiss their &lt;deleted&gt; and try to placate them with diplomacy. You kick their &lt;deleted&gt; and put them in their place.

Too right , too many people in this country just let themselves be a doormat !

We found a shop and saw what we wanted. The lady quoted me 850 baht. I said fine; I'll take it. Then another women appeared on the scene that I guessed was the shop owner. She interrupted the sales assistant, looked me in the eye and said, sorry, this sink is 1850 baht.

Western type responses do not work here, by all means stand your ground but don't lose your rag. Some of these bargirls can be vicious, the OP is lucky he didn't get a glass smashed in his face or stabbed.

that's a totally different situation. Going out to buy a sink is not the same as having to replace something you have broken in a bar. After the glass is broken the OP couldn't just walk away like you did from the shop.

Agree with you though that a non-confrontational approach is generally the best policy in Thailand , however, sometimes needs must and it is the only thing that some people understand. i.e. physical violence will hurt.

The trick is to make sure you are not in a position wherer bad things are going to happen in the first place and then you never have these worries anyway.

Actually, being aggressive might get some farangs somewhere. But it could be the final time they behave like that. It is their choice what they do and how they deal with a contentious situation in Thailand though they might have to learn the hard way.

Some of the trash that washes up here makes me cringe and I agree with a lot of this but not in this case. Not all natives are nice, conservative, law-abiding people you know. Open your eyes and put yourself in the op's shoes; he's being turned over.

The case will get tossed if it ever gets to court. Attempting to obtain 5000 baht for a glass which is valued at 10 baht or less is considered unjust. She will lose on that and the trading of insults will be dismissed if you remain polite and calm throughout the process. One tip, from here on in, dress in neat clean clothes and remain calm. The BG doesn't have the wherewithal to see the case through. You can always counter sue for extortion and defamation.

;) The measured response.

As said, this will be thrown out or the judge will simply scoff at the aforementioned 'bitch'. He/she will immediately see what's occurring... extortion from an ill-educated moron. Let it go the distance to get past all the monkeys and do not pay anything (other than the cost of new glass).

defamatory laws are quite good actually, and for it to be defamatroy it needs to be false and needs to be heard/read and believed by other people. In this instance I think by asking for so much for one broken glass she is in fact being a Bitch, the OED says: 2 informal, a spiteful or unpleasant woman. I would suggest that asking for so much money is spiteful and according to the English language an informal use of the word for this spiteful woman is in fact correct usage and therefore not defamatory. get your lawyer to write to her with this information.

One good thing about defamatory laws is that it can not be defamatory if she is already worse than what you call her, as an example, I could call Peter Sutcliffe gay, if this is false he can not sure me as what he actually is is much worse so calling him gay can not defame him.

I could call Peter Sutcliffe gay, if this is false he can not sure me as what he actually is is much worse so calling him gay can not defame him.

1, 2, 3, 4...................where is JT?

yeah I am quaking in my boots :lol:

I thought the lady was angry that he called her a bad name and the glass was no big deal. I think he said she brought in 10 employees to attest to the fact that he called her a bad name.

I was trying to figure out where in Thailand would bar girls be upset at being called a bad name and the only place I can think of is Chiang Mai.

In my experience all of the people that go to bars in Chiang Mai are very polite drunks. I imagine the shock of a Chiang Mai ex pat using bad language would have freaked out the woman.

Maybe the OP could explain to the judge that he called the lady a butch and not what he actually called her.

I thought the lady was angry that he called her a bad name and the glass was no big deal. I think he said she brought in 10 employees to attest to the fact that he called her a bad name.

I was trying to figure out where in Thailand would bar girls be upset at being called a bad name and the only place I can think of is Chiang Mai.

In my experience all of the people that go to bars in Chiang Mai are very polite drunks. I imagine the shock of a Chiang Mai ex pat using bad language would have freaked out the woman.

Maybe the OP could explain to the judge that he called the lady a butch and not what he actually called her.

Good idea. :D

'' Butch '' meaning, not acting as a lady.