Suvarnabhumi Airport: A Bad Experience For Travellers

webfact

Designing and administering complex systems.. Using forethought and planning to how designs and actions will effect the final product.. Avoiding abuses of power and avenues for corruption.. Simply dont seem to be Thai traits.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I live in a parallel universe, or I'm way too easy to please but in my experiences in Swampy have been generally positive.

The taxi touts are nowhere near as bad as before. There are usually just a few people who offer taxi service, and they really don't pester you if you just smile at them and keep walking. When exiting customs, I go left, take the escalator near to exit 7 down to level 2 and get a meter taxi at the service desks. Very few times has the driver not put on the meter, and usually will upon request. And my experience is that most taxi drivers know most all streets and hotels in the city.

The toilets are mostly clean. Most times, there are is a cleaning lady doing her thing inside as I do my thing.

Prices for food are high at every international airport after you pass immigration for the departure areas. Is 300 baht for a plate of fried rice with chicken so expensive if you are paying 40,000+ baht to fly to the West? And now people know about the 1st floor restaurants. Check in, then go eat cheap before going through customs.

My arrivals, usually in terminal D (United Airlines) are not close to immigration, but there are moving sidewalks with some beautiful Thai art along the walls. A real hellish experience can be had at Heathrow and Dulles. Very long hikes with no signs, no toilets, very Kafkaesque. And how many travelers have enjoyed Manila airport?

Emmigration and security has never been more than 15-20 minutes. Maybe the timing of departures has been favorable in my experiences. The customs officials are never very cheerful, but the same in every country, except maybe Finland, where I had a nice chat about Helsinki and places to visit with the customs agent.

There are always free and easily accessible luggage trolleys at the taxi drop off point. Never seen this in the US or Europe. (Or Manila) And my luggage has never been trashed nor has anything been stolen. I won't relate experiences in other countries. I've kicked them enough already.

Everything is not always cheery and happy at Suvanabuhmi, but I'm sick and tired of the complaints about every small inconvenience.

The Thais are very quick to copy things, not thinking for themselves or others very much or possess any originality or creative thinking.

Given all that all they needed to do was copy the airports of Singapore, Hong Kong, and Kuala Lumpur. Ironic that they can produce counterfeit luggage, clothing, software, and even a counterfeit life yet cannot perform the same task in building an airport.

The smoking rooms are a joke for all the non-smokers. In my experience the door is propped open most of the time, and even if it isn't the smoke can be smelled several gates away. I suppose 2nd hand smoke exposure (especially to infants) isn't a concern. I realize a lot of Thais smoke, but better consideration should be given to international travelers. Narita has the best smoking rooms I've seen...I walked in front of the sliding doors while it was momentarily opened and still didn't smell a thing.

The price of food is my main complaint, 350 baht for fast food meals which cost 120 outside. Also find it a chore battling through the myriad touts and scammers and distinguishing the legit services from those.

Apart from that it's fine, works like any other airport.

Whingers will whinge.

Actually, one aspect of the old Don Meuang was definitely *unlike* most other airports: the great food court near the walkway between the domestic and international terminals (on the int'l side), prices (and food) just like any unpretentious little food court in any older Thai mall...plus, you could cross over the highway and be in an actual Bangkok neighborhood, and get food, a massage, etc., and almost-local prices, sigh. Though of course, airports in the middle of cities are a fast-disappearing thing, with a few exceptions left like Midway in Chicago and LaGuardia in NYC in the States...

For those of you that don't know, there is a food court at Suvarnabhumi. It's located on the ground floor at the far end of the terminal and you can get a typical Thai food court meal there for 40-50 Baht.

First thing that is absolutely wrong is the airport ain't in Bangkok. Why are you guys keep saying that it is in Bangkok?

1.Are you crazed? The baggage-handlers aren't proficient in simple English. They are no way to improve this cos they are in a low paid job with little skill. If you want more than this, please organized your own bags.

2.Most of the foods at the airport are expensive. Some countries can be more expensive cos' they are paying huge amount for the rent. If you feel so, ain't buy any foods then. Bring your own. Malay, Singapore, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide , Jakarta and Hong Kong are more or less the same.

3.Taxis in Thailand are notorious for overcharging. It ain't just in the airport. I agree to clean up this issue. The tip for getting a cheap taxi is to get 'em from the departure zone.

4. Mafia at the parking lots. It's true cos some top range military persons are involved. They are now in the court with Thai legal system but this is rather complicated as there are some connections with the politicians.

5. Officials at the airport - They are OK. If you present yourself to be good, they will reciprocate this. Long queue - They have to manage the staff for flexible hours on duty. Relaxed and let it be. If you see how they do it on the border between Cambodia and Thai, Poipet. You will say this is good enough though.

6. It's huge then you need to do a bit of exercise then. Good for your health.

Overall ain't too bad. If you don't like it , you will need a different destination then.

I wonder which utopian sh..t hole you guys escaped from to come live or travel in Thailand, but these are totally unfair comments! Have any of you ever travelled through JFK, Miami, LAX, Schiphol, Heathrow, Karachi, Dunai, Manila, Narita, etc., etc.??? All have long queues, overpriced retail, uncomfortable waiting facilities, rude taxis, tourist gouging, etc., etc. Thailand bashing is so common on this forum. I would love to know where is your utopia and why you ever left?

Agreed, it would be nice if those who never had anything nice to say about a country that is not theirs, would leave it to the rest of us who are happy to be allowed there as guests.

Not many airports:

1) Have 7-11's and other convenience stores inside.

2) Allow beer sales to go 24-7.

3) Have a great food court with meals under a dollar.

4) Have a fully functioning post office.

5) Nice pharmacy.

6) Internet services.

All airports have high prices after security.

Maybe I live in a parallel universe, or I'm way too easy to please but in my experiences in Swampy have been generally positive.

The taxi touts are nowhere near as bad as before. There are usually just a few people who offer taxi service, and they really don't pester you if you just smile at them and keep walking. When exiting customs, I go left, take the escalator near to exit 7 down to level 2 and get a meter taxi at the service desks. Very few times has the driver not put on the meter, and usually will upon request. And my experience is that most taxi drivers know most all streets and hotels in the city.

The toilets are mostly clean. Most times, there are is a cleaning lady doing her thing inside as I do my thing.

Prices for food are high at every international airport after you pass immigration for the departure areas. Is 300 baht for a plate of fried rice with chicken so expensive if you are paying 40,000+ baht to fly to the West? And now people know about the 1st floor restaurants. Check in, then go eat cheap before going through customs.

My arrivals, usually in terminal D (United Airlines) are not close to immigration, but there are moving sidewalks with some beautiful Thai art along the walls. A real hellish experience can be had at Heathrow and Dulles. Very long hikes with no signs, no toilets, very Kafkaesque. And how many travelers have enjoyed Manila airport?

Emmigration and security has never been more than 15-20 minutes. Maybe the timing of departures has been favorable in my experiences. The customs officials are never very cheerful, but the same in every country, except maybe Finland, where I had a nice chat about Helsinki and places to visit with the customs agent.

There are always free and easily accessible luggage trolleys at the taxi drop off point. Never seen this in the US or Europe. (Or Manila) And my luggage has never been trashed nor has anything been stolen. I won't relate experiences in other countries. I've kicked them enough already.

Everything is not always cheery and happy at Suvanabuhmi, but I'm sick and tired of the complaints about every small inconvenience.

Edited by leobeerman

The price of food is my main complaint, 350 baht for fast food meals which cost 120 outside. Also find it a chore battling through the myriad touts and scammers and distinguishing the legit services from those.

Apart from that it's fine, works like any other airport.

Whingers will whinge.

I agree with Harry, whiners will whine; and some people seem to attract bad experiences what ever they do and where ever they go.

I use Suvarnabhumi frequently and don't even know where some of these complaints are coming from, not from my experience. Toilets are readily available and clean. Immigration and security have never been backed up unreasonably when I go through, officers are friendly and efficient. I use the taxis from the departure floor (thanks to tips from TV posters) and have never had a problem with getting a meter run to where ever I want to go, and usually with a friendly, helpful taxi driver. If I don't have a lot of luggage the airport train is a perfectly good option. Yes the food is expensive, but so it is at most airports; we know this; I eat before I go to the airport, wait for my flight to get the onboard meal, pack a sack lunch, or just pay the price if I don't plan ahead. Wifi would be nice, but there are free Internet terminals where you can use their computer or I take a LAN cable and hook up my own. As for the long walk, I welcome a little exercise after sitting on the plane, not a problem for me. Different strokes for different folks.

It's not a perfect world my friends; go with the flow, adapt and be happy. don

If you think the touts are bad here, you should try the airport in Delhi or Mumbai. You haven't experienced what a real tout is like until you've been to India.

What have airports in India got to do with it? These don't claim to be among the world's best. Swampy does, and frequently! It's clearly a huge white elephant. I mean, they can't even plonk some seats down for petes sake, they're still bussing folk out to planes, and as for the taxi tout situation... you certainly don't have that sort of carry-on in the 'best' airports. It wouldn't be such a cringeworthy joke if they forgot face for two seconds and dropped the 'best airport' spiel.

I must say i hate the long, long walk from plane to pick up my bags - what genius thought of that one? and signage is terrible

Regarding the long walk, I doubt if thought had any roll to play in that one. It's just where things fell, as a consequence of other things being where they are.

Since I have been looking into designing and building here, for myself, and maybe family, and observing how things are done, and placed, I have come to the conclusion that very few Thais have any design sense at all. I have visited a number of homes of recent construction, and only in Islamic countries is there a comparable dearth of artwork, I mean the sort of thing that is created by a creative person for the benefit of free thinkers. At the new house of my fiance, (supplied by her father because at the age of 35, and having been divorced already, she was considered written off ..) The builders worked to the impractical 'design' well enough and did as required. So did the electrician who installed power points high on the walls, almost too high for her, and smack in the middle of each wall, making it virtually impossible to place a painting of any size. (place a what?) Well, who cares, because there is room for a photo each of the king and a monk on either side of the great ugly power points. (deep sigh) ... so where's the problem? Well, there isn't one if you're a Thai, but she does have problems with the hand basin in the bathroom, which was first positioned so low to the floor you'd think it was for a kindergarten, but when she insisted it be raised at least to the height suitable for her, and she is not tall, she finds it leans forward so that the water does not drain out. (The guy was supposed be a professional.) I was planning to build a kitchen, and dining area beside the house. But I'm giving the entire project further ... "thought"

"The signage is terrible" Ha! I found myself using somewhat harsher adjectives. ;-)

The taxi thing at the airport? ... ( shakes head and goes to make a coffee )

Edited by TechnikaIII

Nothing wrong with the airport, its has a few problems like many others

Its far more welcoming than Heathrow,

Many times I have had a door held open for me by a security guard while I nip out for a cigarette or back in.

Always stop in the same cafe while waiting to check in, its about double the price of outside like any airport but very well run, the boss is watching everthing, making sure the customers are looked after and always has a smile and a thankyou when you leave.

Beautiful girls checking my passport and wishing me a good holiday in Thailand, I arrived back in England and was grunted at by the muslim who check my passport.

The taxi touts could be sorted out but its the same in South Korea and Vietnam.

Definately the worst airport in the world

I've been through alot worse Heathrow for example

I agree Heathrow is terrible for the poster to call it the worst airport in the world just shows that he has not travelled much. There are far worse airports in fact too many to list. Immigration is slow especially during tourist season but on the whole Swampy is a pretty good airport.

The Thais are very quick to copy things, not thinking for themselves or others very much or possess any originality or creative thinking.

Given all that all they needed to do was copy the airports of Singapore, Hong Kong, and Kuala Lumpur. Ironic that they can produce counterfeit luggage, clothing, software, and even a counterfeit life yet cannot perform the same task in building an airport.

Spot on !!

Shabbirg, been through all of those and more.

What is depressing about The Swamp is it should be great. As it is, it is just another airport with problems and more than most. When I fly out of my local to Bangkok I always think, this is a small airport, why can't the swamp be half as comfortable.

That my friend is a sad sad statement.

It's one of the better airports. Of course, minor problems will always happen. Somehow most people in this forum only want to critizise anything here in Thailand. Why do you come here?

One post and your at it already--in denial.................another poster on TAT payroll

Definately the worst airport in the world

What a lot of nonsense, Swampy is a great airport in comparison with other busy airports.. There are 7/11 shops where everything is very reasonable.. where else in the world can you find a 7/11 in an airport..? As for the walk to immigration, for a small fee you can be picked up in one of the small electric carts and taken through fast-track immigration. As for taxis, go upstairs to Departures same as in any airport and take a cab that has just dropped someone off.. easy.. Also the BTS is great now , fast and cheap to the city. If you have a lot of luggage, a taxi is needed.. Same as anywhere in the world, you cannot take many bags onto a train.. thats a personal choice..! Some people like to complain about anything.. Well done the Swampy management team... immigration are a law unto themselves but at least you can make your re-entry visa there now... And the Duty Free is the cheapest in Asia... at least for Jonnie Walker and Jack Daniels... Has anyone been to Charles DeGaulle... now that is a problem airport... try it..! and as for walking ...try Schipol Airport in Amsterdam, thats walking..!!!

Sorry I judged them to fast, 7/11 store wow that just elevates them to N#1 on the world scale.

First thing that is absolutely wrong is the airport ain't in Bangkok. Why are you guys keep saying that it is in Bangkok?

1.Are you crazed? The baggage-handlers aren't proficient in simple English. They are no way to improve this cos they are in a low paid job with little skill. If you want more than this, please organized your own bags.

2.Most of the foods at the airport are expensive. Some countries can be more expensive cos' they are paying huge amount for the rent. If you feel so, ain't buy any foods then. Bring your own. Malay, Singapore, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide , Jakarta and Hong Kong are more or less the same.

3.Taxis in Thailand are notorious for overcharging. It ain't just in the airport. I agree to clean up this issue. The tip for getting a cheap taxi is to get 'em from the departure zone.

4. Mafia at the parking lots. It's true cos some top range military persons are involved. They are now in the court with Thai legal system but this is rather complicated as there are some connections with the politicians.

5. Officials at the airport - They are OK. If you present yourself to be good, they will reciprocate this. Long queue - They have to manage the staff for flexible hours on duty. Relaxed and let it be. If you see how they do it on the border between Cambodia and Thai, Poipet. You will say this is good enough though.

Overall ain't too bad. If you don't like it , you will need a different destination then.

Why don't the ThaiVisa boffins eliminate messages that are incoherent?

"Worst airport in the world" - lol <deleted> ???

Have you guys ever tried any other airport ? im amazed how much complaining going on here.

Im going through numerous airports every month, including suvarnabhumi, and for me its one of my favourite airports, i actually enjoy going through this airport and cannot recognize any of the complaints here.

Expensive food, not enough toilets, long immigration queues, bad-mannered officials, mafia at the parking lot, crooked taxi-drivers, no free wi-fi, too far to walk

Expensive food ? - NOT compared to 99% other airpots.

Not enough toilets ? - ive never tried to come to a toilet that is full or even close to being full, and never seen dirty toilets.

Long immigration queues ? - yes they can be long, but just something we have to accept in an airport this size with SSS safety regulations in the world we are living in.

Taxi mafia ? - few airports that doesnt have them, and compared to many other asian countries bkk is a dream. Never had problems with public taxi's.

No free wifi - maybe i can agree it would be a nice one, but many airports lacks this

Too far to walk - hey, its a big airport !

Additionally i can add that its an airport where you get smiles by the staff everywhere, even immigration can smile which is rare in so many other places, and ive never had anything but good service in this airport, actually i love it.

Damaged bags, did the damage happen here or at the airport of destination?

Here.

I usually bring back some food from the States, and on three of my last four trips, I have had broken bottles or crushed cans which had just happened. I am not talking about wine bottles and things like that. I am talking about small bottles of BBQ sauce or liquid smoke. Or Mountain Dew. If a can opens back in the US, by the time you get to Thailand, there is nothing left to show except for the empty can. But at Swampy, I can see the Dew leaking out of my bag, and when I check, the can is crushed, not just opened. Since the Dew has not had time to evaporate in the low pressure of the cargo hold, and the liquid is all still there in my bag, it happened at Swampy. Or the neck of a BBQ bottle is broken, but most of the sauce is still in the bottle.

Swampy sucks. Incoming immigration is not too bad, but outgoing? <deleted>? I have to wait 90 minutes so they can check if I have overstayed my visa or something?

Swampy is not the worst airport in the world, but it was supposed to be Thailand's Hong Kong or Inchon (Seoul). It can't hold a candle to them.

To be honest all the high food prices and stuff would be ok if they could get their processing speed high and ensure safety.

I mean, 55 baht for a bottle of water after you've paid much more for your ticket, not really a big deal.

(other airports do this as well, I've seen bottles of water selling for $2.50, which is more than 55 baht in JFK)

I think their priorities should be:

1. Safety and Maintenance (cracked runways etc)

2. Organization and Speed in processing passengers and incommoding/outgoing flights.

3. Transportation to and from the airport. (Get security to kick out taxi drivers that refuse to use their meters, and make that train more accessible.)

And for those who have been here are long or longer than I have... Remember the days of Don Muang as the international and domestic airport? Suvarnabhumi is still a big improvement.

I must say i hate the long, long walk from plane to pick up my bags - what genius thought of that one? and signage is terrible

Yes, it felt like a kilometer from the plane to Immigration when I arrived last month, seriously.

And after the long walk Immigration for the 3rd time in a row now seems to have a problem to stamp my reentry permit even after I point it out to them.

They airlines seem to have now problem to find it and been told I see you have a reentry permit and a yearly visa and I smile and say yes.

Also was pointed out to me by a Thai relative a frequent traveler to foreign countries, go to any country stamp you in and out on same page right next to it

except Thailand stamp you out on page 4 stamp you in on page 12 and so on but never ever on the same page.

Sorry, I don't get it.

I've never had a long wait at the airport clearing immigration and customs in Suvaranabhumi. Rather the contrary - it's about the fastest I've ever cleared. Try the lines in New York. And in China they met us with drug-sniffing dogs.

And I've never had a hard time getting a metered taxi there, once you know where they are - and they've always been in the same place every time I've gone through the airport for the last three years.

As for the food, I've never seen an airport where food wasn't grossly overpriced compared to the local economy. A cup of coffee at the airport in Miami is $5.00.

If you think the touts are bad here, you should try the airport in Delhi or Mumbai. You haven't experienced what a real tout is like until you've been to India.

Agreed.

I've had way bigger airport headaches than Suvarnabhumi has ever laid on me. It's certainly better than Don Meung was. Have people who went through it forgotten the eternal tube walk if you needed to go catch a domestic flight after an international arrival? God, it was awful. The new airport isn't perfect, but it's a big improvement over that. Large airports are always headaches to a certain degree. I can't stand Atlanta in the states, but honestly it's not so bad. We just get annoyed having to wait in lines and get processed like cattle, fair enough.

I've been thru the new airport dozens of times, and noticed nothing in regards to what the OP wrote about. I just see short lines at immigration, decent selection of food and gifts (often sold at the exact same prices as say PanTip plaza) and metered cabbies that offer no hassles whatsoever. Perhaps it's my karma?

If you really wanna complain about airports, pick any American one - I could back u up there :)

Edited by StrandedBusinessPerson

Similar format to other airport complaint posts: first page of inconsequential whining from armchair or infrequent fliers. Then a page of realistic comparisons from those that do use commercial air travel for more than the yearly vacation.

It's an AIRPORT! Not a shopping mall or restaurant complex. Airplanes are buses with wings run by bus companies with airplanes. Airports are bus stations for buses with wings. Get the picture yet?

Why don't the ThaiVisa boffins eliminate messages that are incoherent?

Am I making myself clear? This is English..... dude..

Good brief synopsis of the myriad of problems besetting the "Showcase of Asia" or whatever other BS titles it's been bestowed to this airport resembling a giant Costco store.

Would personally add that is often uncomfortably warm, particularly on the upper floors, to the list.

OBJECTION....Costco is clean, well organized, sparkling washrooms with paper towels and workable electric hand dryers, courteous and helpful employees, and has over 500 stores in several countries with millions of repeat customers...who choose to do so, will supply the handicapped with an electric cart, never argues on a return policy sells a delicious hotdog with a refillable drink for $1.50.

Now, be nice...they in no way should be compared to the....ahh...hub of flubs??

Above is true on all accounts, however, the resemblance is only in its appearance...which is fine for a wholesaler warehouse, but very visually unappealing in a so-called showpiece of an airport.

CostcoStore.jpg

and

suvarnabhumiairport0603.jpg

The green-house design in the tropics also adds to the uncomfortable heat factor.

Edited by Buchholz