Va Direct Deposit

I hear that Bangkok Bank is the only choice for setting up direct deposit from the VA in the States. I was wondering if this is true, or are their other options? I also hear Kaisikorn has the best rates. I have my direct deposit to Wells Fargo at this time and was considering wiring money as needed to a Bank here. Maybe Siam Commercial or Kaisikorn. I name these banks because Bangkok Bank seems to have the highest rates. Appreciate any advise! Also, I'm not retired, but a combat veteran with a disability. Is there any medical facilities available to us here. I'm in Chiang Mai if that's relavent. Thank you!

The easy answer is : No medical facilities for VA patients here in Thailand. I believe the nearest VA hospital is the PI

Suggest contacting a VFW service officer. They can explain how care happens here in LOS

CM has a Post and Pattaya a very large Post

Here is a link to the Pattaya Post. Look down the list for contact info for CM

VFW

Welcome to Chiang Mai danozxfxr,

As for your banking question: I'm not real sure about VA deposits to the Bangkok Bank but I know Social Security will direct deposit to the Bangkok Bank because they have a branch in N.Y. which meets the requirement of only direct depositing to banks in the U.S.

As for hospitals or medical care for those on VA care here in Chiang Mai: It is my understanding that the VA will not pay for medical services overseas (with the exception of PI and then only for service related) but if you are receiving treatment for a VA disability injury Chiang Mai Ram will treat you for service related only. You have to pay for it but the VA will reimburse you if you have filed for approval for the specific treatment prior to getting it. However, please check with our VA service officer here in Chiang Mai to confirm that.

VA Service Officer and the Chiang Mai VFW Post 12047: We have an active VFW post here in Chiang Mai with about 100 members. We meet once a month on the first Saturday of the month at 10:30 AM. There will be a meeting this Saturday 03/05/11 on the second floor of the Dukes Restaurant (the one located in the Night Market next to McDonalds). If you are already a VFW member you can transfer your membership here or if not you can bring your DD-214 with you can become a member. Here is a link to our website: http://www.vfw-chiangmai.org/

BB aka: Big Bob

Direct deposit requires that the bank have in place a means to prevent after death withdrawals (in the US it is not an issue as banks will have to pay back if it happens). Bangkok Bank is the only bank in Thailand to have such an agreement (which they secure by limiting deposit to a non atm account where holder must appear in person to withdraw funds).

You may find it much better to have deposits made to a USAA account (which you easily qualify for) and ACH transfer at no cost by internet to a normal Bangkok Bank account using there New York branch routing number). Only extra cost is small fee at New York $5 or $10 normal for usual amounts and 1/4 of one percent in baht in range 200-500 baht at Thai end (all banks have that same fee AFAIK).

If you go with Bangkok Bank you might want to first try having your VA payment go to a Bangkok Bank regular savings account which includes an ATM/debit card, internet banking, phone bankings, etc. I don't expect the VA will care....all they are looking for is a routing number and account number.

But don't be surprised if you get a letter one day from Bangkok Bank saying in order to continue to receive the direct deposit from a US govt agency like the VA you will need to come in an setup a Direct Deposit account...this kind of account does not have an ATM/debit card, internet banking, phone banking, etc....all withdrawals/transfers have to be done by you in person. This happened to me when I had problems in transferring funds from my US bank and I started doing direct deposit of my Mil Retirement pay from DFAS. Initially I had the direct deposit going to my Bangkok Bank regular savings accounts, but after about 3 months I got a letter from Bangkok Bank saying if I wanted to continue to receive this US govt agency direct deposit I would need to come in and setup a Direct Deposit account which I did. However, I know other people having their US govt pension/payments going to Bangkok Bank regular savings accounts and Bangkok Bank has not sent them any letter (yet).

You could have both types of accounts (Regular Savings and Direct Deposit Savings), have your VA payment go to the Direct Deposit account and then periodically go to any Bangkok Bank outlet/branch and transfer some money from your direct deposit account to your regular account. Or, have the deposit go to a US bank account which hopefully has free online ACH transfers and transfer the money to your Bangkok Bank regular saving account....this is what I'm doing now since I got my funds transfer problem resolved. However, I have kept my Direct Deposit Account open since it may come in handy someday....it pays interest just like a regular account. But whether sending to a regular account or direct deposit account with the VA sending it or you resending it from a US bank, Bangkok Bank is receiving the funds and they are going to charge fees mentioned by lopburi3 above....a slice it taken by Bangkok Bank NY as the funds flow through them (remember, its their routing number being used) on the way to your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank account (an in-Thailand account number), and then the in-Thailand Bangkok Branch takes their cut. And this total cut/fee isn't any more than any other Thai bank takes as far as I know. Bangkok Bank is a good bank....I've been with them for about a half dozen years.

Here's the Bangkok Bank webpage taking about US to Thailand funds transfers, to include associated fees: http://www.bangkokba...from%20USA.aspx