Thai Mystery Hotel Death Toll Jumps To Four

webfact

Should Thai food actually be as tasty as many proclaim here on TV , pray tell me why MSG needs to be , or is thought to be , such a necessity in Thai cooking ? With the normal ' Thai lashings' of various herbs and spices , do you think MSG would be missed any more than one extra grain of salt which is also over-used , not forgetting , of course , the heaps of sugar ? I have my doubts .

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds fishy and off-topic to non-believers and perhaps not a contributor in these cases, but brahmburgers is right, MSG has a lot to answer for. It screws me up for up to two days, as do foods with free glutamates in them, and took me years to pin it down. This garbage is also of course in foodstuffs all over the world (and the FDA totally playing down its harmful effects doesn't help), but the amount that is splashed over dishes here is nuts. Those farang that can't put their finger on why they're always lethargic, fatigued, bloated, tight chested, heady etc, particularly after dining on Thai foods with loads of sauces that are very tasty, should gen up on this stuff.

Could be nothing to do with the hotel - perhaps an eatery, stall nearby - but at the least they should be turned over and the law stop dragging its feet/sweeping it under the carpet so that the families can find some closure.

Excellent post. +1

I can feel just moments after a meal the effects of msg.

I'm very sorry for both of you, but, the percentage of people that are sensitive to MSG is very small, the percentage that are so sensitive that it would be fatal to is an even smaller number.

I wouldn't like to calculate the odds of four people with that amount of sensitivity to it all staying in the same hotel within a small time frame, it would be an unprecedented number. So a pointless discussion.

If there is a common theme as the cause of these deaths, it has to be something that would prove fatal to practically anyone, irrespective of age, state of health, or list of allergies.

Giant killer ladyboys?

What the hellll is all this MSG business, everything nearly is centered on MSG. it is-it isn't -it is -it isn't. The two oldsters from Boston Lincs England, on holiday, died. reported enlarged hearts, heart attacks--BUL--#hit....same time. 555555555....then mentioned suicide...BUL#hit...... and all this super MSG discussion....EVERY one knows there's a rat somewhere...............the only thing that should have happened is that the said establishment be closed -mucha pronto- until the real truth be found. Can you imagine what the families are thinking that lost mam and dad.???? MSG ???---enlarged hearts, I think they and their friends will think that farrangs here have gone crazy in the head. spinning out this story.

in their seventies. fit enough to fly, and holiday here, airport trauma's--Ha. Don’t you think if they BOTH had enlarged hearts, their doctor in Lincs would have advised them not to go--and their families also, as for suicide---the suggestion is ridiculous. My friend is from the said town in England , and the mood there is not very Thai friendly. All the discussion is of course is because people are concerned But doing the Miss Marples is somewhat upsetting to some, All they want is pressure put on the CMai authorities to come up with the truth. ( I am aware posters mean well)

Well said. But do you ever get the feeling that you are banging your head against the wall.

As for this MSG (choo-rot) thing I am very much against the stuff. But come on this is just another conspiracy theory.

jb1

What the hellll is all this MSG business, everything nearly is centered on MSG. it is-it isn't -it is -it isn't. The two oldsters from Boston Lincs England, on holiday, died. reported enlarged hearts, heart attacks--BUL--#hit....same time. 555555555....then mentioned suicide...BUL#hit...... and all this super MSG discussion....EVERY one knows there's a rat somewhere...............the only thing that should have happened is that the said establishment be closed -mucha pronto- until the real truth be found. Can you imagine what the families are thinking that lost mam and dad.???? MSG ???---enlarged hearts, I think they and their friends will think that farrangs here have gone crazy in the head. spinning out this story.

in their seventies. fit enough to fly, and holiday here, airport trauma's--Ha. Don't you think if they BOTH had enlarged hearts, their doctor in Lincs would have advised them not to go--and their families also, as for suicide---the suggestion is ridiculous. My friend is from the said town in England , and the mood there is not very Thai friendly. All the discussion is of course is because people are concerned But doing the Miss Marples is somewhat upsetting to some, All they want is pressure put on the CMai authorities to come up with the truth. ( I am aware posters mean well)

Funny I have a enlarged heart and my doctor is very concerned about it. She how ever does not tell me to not travel. She recommends certain pills and certain things for me to do like loose weight.

Maybe the truth is all ready out there I was told a Bangkok Post article covered it but Thai Visa is not going to allow it. They prefer to keep people in the dark.

Well at least you did read what I said, thanks for that, but 2 of them having enlarged hearts and at over 70 years old. and died on holiday committing suicide at the same time as a report said. Just this obsession with MSG, and if you dont speak about the said subject other readers get snubbed by what I think in my case was fair comment, The forum is begginning to form clicks of private investigaters-medical scientists- get real--discuss coroner--bib in this case and the closure of the hotel. Push for action--hasn't the Embassy-or British authority-asked any questions ??? why not drop the MSG and focus on something more relevant.

Should Thai food actually be as tasty as many proclaim here on TV , pray tell me why MSG needs to be , or is thought to be , such a necessity in Thai cooking ? With the normal ' Thai lashings' of various herbs and spices , do you think MSG would be missed any more than one extra grain of salt which is also over-used , not forgetting , of course , the heaps of sugar ? I have my doubts .

Slightly off topic. But another good post.

jb1