BBC iPlayer Goes Global.

Lite Beer

BBC iPlayer goes global... and it will cost foreigners half the price of the licence fee

The BBC's iPlayer service is to be launched globally this year and it will cost people outside Britain half the price of the UK licence fee.

The international version of the iPlayer app will cost less than U.S. $10 per month - £6.13 - which equates to around £73 per year.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1362476/BBC-global-iPlayer-subscription-cheaper-licence-fee.html#ixzz1FXonq4TT

Well I would certainly rather pay the $10 a month than use one of the bit torrent sites for free, especially as we are not allowed to discuss here.

Half the licence fee, but there is more on UK television than the BBC, good as it is.

The article in the Mail (not the most reputable of sources) indicates that it is an app rather than via the website. If true it would be another of an apparently endless string of planning cock-ups by the BBC management relating to modern technology. Hopefully not even they would be stupid enough to limit it to iPad users.

The article in the Mail (not the most reputable of sources) indicates that it is an app rather than via the website. If true it would be another of an apparently endless string of planning cock-ups by the BBC management relating to modern technology. Hopefully not even they would be stupid enough to limit it to iPad users.

There's a desktop version of the Iplayer available in the UK that allows you to download programmes to your PC rather than watch them on the website. I suspect that this is what they mean when they talk about an 'app'.

Maybe too late for the beeb.The horse has bolted....Its a great Idea but a couple of years too late.Most people who have wanted to aatch the beeb or Itv have managed to do it other ways....I suspect it will also be a limited version of their programs. But I will give it a look....I already watch the iplayer and Itv and it is a great piece of techno and far better than True/ubc.I only watch the True for footy.The news I get on LiveStation.Its a free legal site.No vpn needed.So goodbye to Ubc next month and wont be having it again.Rubbish.

No, not really, not more then what other commerical players out there do. Face it. It's how they generate revenue for the application. I've managed to get iPlayer on a website and it works ok. It's not video, but only radio broadcasts of different shows.

You misunderstand. I use iPlayer all the time (the website, not the rather naff desktop application) for both radio and TV (video works just fine from here). I have nothing against the BBC charging a fee for use of the iPlayer website by people overseas but I dont want to be obliged to use some nasty app that doesnt work properly with my Home Theatre if I want to pay the BBC, rather than just carry on with a VPN for free.

Would one of you knowledgeable UK types help an American interested in watching more UK TV online from here abroad???

What are your favorite, free sources of that kind of streaming content online, either with a Thailand IP or with a UK IP, depending on what the site wants for access?

I already have and am familiar with Livestation.com and its news offerings.... But I'm fuzzy about the UK specific TV series sources?

I did wander across the other day the Channel 4 on Demand site and was surprised to find they have online versions of the very good U.S. TV series "Hill Street Blues" and "St. Elsewhere," among others, provided the user has a London IP address.

It's pretty interesting and strange, in that the full seasons of those U.S. series aren't even available on some of the U.S. paid video streaming services like Netflix and Hulu Plus...

Would one of you knowledgeable UK types help an American interested in watching more UK TV online from here abroad???

All the main free UK TV channels have a "watch again" service that replays the bulk of their output for free. To use it you need to have a UK IP address. Just go to any UK TV listings website to see which the main free UK channels are.

The pay channels mostly have a similar system though of course you need to be a subscriber.