Diabetes

corkman

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the following. I have always been led to believe that people who are very fit, are by default very healthy. However recently I have learned that two of the fittest people I know have developed diabetes (one mid 40's other mid 50's).

Both lead very active, exercise driven lives. One does alot of running, the other alot of cycling. One of them explained to me (which I now may be reciting incorrectly) that because he is so active and fit, that he eats quite a lot of carbs to keep energy levels up for same, but the exercise routines metabolise the carbs into suger, which means that he has high blood sugar levels...... or something like that.

I would like to understand this better - I do not know if it is utter nonesense or what.

I am in my mid 30's and I am about to embark on an effort to get fit - I'm not looking to run marathons etc. but I would like to get in shape, loose the belly and chest fat (I'm not obese, just a bit over to the point where it is starting to become noticeable), and feel a bit more energized. Living here in LOS it is pretty difficult to have a low carb diet, but I'm trying none the less. But if there is any truth to the diabetes things I mentioned above, then I owuld like to understand at what point exercise becomes potentially harmful.

My primary objective here is to get a bit more healthy....... I'd like to read a bit more about it, but perhaps someone could point me in the right direction, because I am totally clueless.

Thanks in advance.

CM

Edited by corkman

It could also be an age thing...never heard of fitness induced diabetes.....maybe your friends just cant face the fact they are getting older...:lol:

Eat properly and excercise and you will be ok and you will start seeing the improvement - all in moderation....I have always stuck with the 80/20 rule....be good for 80% of the time 20% up to you...best of luck

Thanks guys - I suppose I'm really just a little befuddled about how these got it....... ignorance plays a huge part in my suprise however.

Southpeel - unfortuantely I have been a subscriber to the 20/80 rule rather than 80/20 as of later......... but I've reached watershead, and realised I am at that time of life where if I don't make changes I never will and I'll be just one of those poor sods who have let themselves go and dont know it........... and then bam ...... some sort of terminal conditions "comes out of nowhere"!