3 Killed And 45 Injured In Coach Crash Just Outside Of Pattaya

Rimmer

3 killed and 45 injured in coach crash just outside of Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- A coach travelling to Udon Thani Province for a Royal Cremation Ceremony was involved in a road accident on Friday Night which killed 3 and injured 45 people. The accident occurred on Highway 331 in Huoy Yai on the outskirts of Pattaya and occurred when the coach hit a stationary 18-wheel truck which had stopped because of an engine failure. The injured passengers on the coach were taken to a number of Hospitals in the area and were suffering from a variety of injuries,

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-03-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

TiT!! What a joke. The TRUCK DRIVER was arrested because a dozy coach driver crashed into the back of him!!

You couldn't make it up!

R.I.P. to the deceased

I really have heard it all now...

RIP but just when you thank you have heard it all Thailand does it one better.

My GF was in another bus and actually saw this happen, called me freaking out. Then her bus hit a DIFFERENT truck but no one was injured, just a bunch of broken glass and a banged up bus which they had to replace in Udon Thani.

I told her from now on she's flying. At least there is a better chance of the pilots being sober and alert. Minus the last 2 jet crashes of course. Bus and van travel is for those who don't place value on their life.

I had to read the story again to see who was arrested. Ok so the truck had broken down. So you would imagine that it was parked at the side of the road obviously without any lights on? The coach comes along, within the speed limit? Rams the lorry, hence the dead and injured. I would like to read the coach drivers, or witness accounts of what happened. I get motorbikes coming at me an awful lot at night without lights, in the pitch dark and always manage to see them.

RIP the dead.

jb1

By the way why do they always show a licence number?

Edited by jimbeam1

TiT!! What a joke. The TRUCK DRIVER was arrested because a dozy coach driver crashed into the back of him!!

You couldn't make it up!

R.I.P. to the deceased

RIP but just when you thank you have heard it all Thailand does it one better.

Or maybe the truck broke down in the left hand land and seeing as it's "illegal" to drive in the right hand lane (unless you have a Benz or a Bentley) the coach had no choice but to smash into it..

"According to Land Transport Department Director-General Chairat Sanguansue, 186 road accidents were reported in the first eight months of last year, from January to August 2010. The accidents killed 148 and injured 1,778 people altogether. Public buses accounted for most of the accidents."

These figures suggest an average of 5 people per week DIE and around 56 people per week are injured.

How high do these numbers have to get before someone somewhere DOES SOMETHING to stop this terrible waste of life !

Edited by CharlieH

Unnecessary vehicle accidents are cultural to Thais. Who are we to tell them to stop.

This is true. Best to leave it in the hands of Darwin. He knows what's best.

Ya sounds great until you realise its MY LIFE they will fuc_k up with their incompetence. Darwinism in Thailand doesnt just take out the stupid genes, it also eliminates anyone elses that happens to be unlucky enough to be within range of a catastrophic retard failure.

Crazy indeed in regards to the arrests. I can only think of 2 reasons for it and both are from my personal experience

One time a motorcycle slammed into me from the back, i did not have full insurance-it was my fault according to the police because if i was not there, he would not have hit me.

Second time, same scenario, only that time i did have full insurance, no matter what the other guy was saying it was his fault 100%.

I think because 3 people died and so many injured, its easier for them to put the blame on the one with no insurance but then again at the same time, may be they put the blame on the best insured one so all the injured get paid.

I thing for sure, would be very interesting to know the reasoning for the arrest of the truck driver and how the coach driver WAS NOT found to be at fault

"According to Land Transport Department Director-General Chairat Sanguansue, 186 road accidents were reported in the first eight months of last year, from January to August 2010. The accidents killed 148 and injured 1,778 people altogether. Public buses accounted for most of the accidents."

These figures suggest an average of 5 people per week DIE and around 56 people per week are injured.

How high do these numbers have to get before someone somewhere DOES SOMETHING to stop this terrible waste of life !

That figure must be from a small district in Pattaya.

In 2009 Songkran's "seven dangerous days" ended with 373 deaths and 4,332 injuries in 3,977 road accidents nationwide.

I suspect that this is not much more than an average week, as I think many still go unreported.

I did see the figure of 18,000 deaths annually caused by road accidents somewhere, but I could not find the story to quote here.

Edited by NoBrainer

Read the second post again. It says the "bus" driver got arrested not the "truck" driver. Also, this post came from a thai visa member, not the press or pattaya news, so who knows who if any got arrested...

Unnecessary vehicle accidents are cultural to Thais. Who are we to tell them to stop.

Ya sounds great until you realise its MY LIFE they will fuc_k up with their incompetence. Darwinism in Thailand doesnt just take out the stupid genes, it also eliminates anyone elses that happens to be unlucky enough to be within range of a catastrophic retard failure.

Yeah but if we were to stop them we would only be ruining Thailand and moving towards the dreaded 'nanny state' that so many quote as one reason to leave their homeland. Rules and regulations just bring everyone down, man.

Iv"e seen large commercial vehicles broken down on the highways here that had triangular warning signs behind them and parked as far from the travelling lanes as possible. Perhaps that's why the truck driver was arrested. The news article was vague though so I am with holding judgement untill I see all the facts.

Read the second post again. It says the "bus" driver got arrested not the "truck" driver. Also, this post came from a thai visa member, not the press or pattaya news, so who knows who if any got arrested...

Khun Jamrat aged 34, the driver of the truck was arrested by Police and taken away for further enquiries.

Khun Wirort aged 60, the coach driver was found not to be at fault and was not arrested.

Yeah but if we were to stop them we would only be ruining Thailand and moving towards the dreaded 'nanny state' that so many quote as one reason to leave their homeland. Rules and regulations just bring everyone down, man.

In my opinion when it comes to driving and road safety, i much prefer the "nanny state" as someone already mentioned "others" play with my life and its totally out of my control. Even if i do not drive and use public transport i am still in danger, if i chose to simply walk, i am again in danger from the bikes on the footpath, bikes on the wrong side of the road and just drunk drivers.

Just the other day was driving to the VET and out of nowhere speeding bike(taxi driver) moves to my side of the road doing about 90 and slams straight into me( i could not move or go anywhere as there was traffic on my left, as i was in the right lane) I really am lucky to be alive, my bike is totally gone(again i was lucky bike took the impact) and on lookers thought i was dead.

Unfortunately, Darwin's theory only applies to weeding out the weakest/most stupid, leaving behind an average that is stronger/smarter. If the total pool left surviving is just as weak/stupid, nothing has been accomplished.

brilliant nothing like thai visa members to read a news article and figure everything out patts was made for you.

It's CSI, ThaiVisa. It's what happens when there is no further information about a serious situation. When there is a lack of factual information, then the void is filled with speculation.

I've always been under the impression that when you hit a vehicle from behind, you are at fault. Is there anything to suggest the vehicle wasn't hit from behind or that the truck could have pulled off the road?

I hope all the injured make a full and speedy recovery.

Had to be the truck drivers fault. Everyone knows that, here in Thailand, one must harvest a few trees and plant them on the road behind their broken down vehicle so as to warn others.

You couldn't make it up!

R.I.P. to the deceased

Those roads are pitch black at night, if the truck driver stopped on the road, with no lights, rather than pulling off to the side, then the driver of a fully loaded coach would have little chance of stopping in time and to swerve at the last minute would have been similarly disastrous. Chances are the coach driver was at fault as well, but I have driven that road at night and if you have oncoming traffic with lights in your eyes the chances of spotting something stopped in your lane are about as good as seeing a black cat in a coal cellar.

You couldn't make it up!

R.I.P. to the deceased

Those roads are pitch black at night, if the truck driver stopped on the road, with no lights, rather than pulling off to the side, then the driver of a fully loaded coach would have little chance of stopping in time and to swerve at the last minute would have been similarly disastrous. Chances are the coach driver was at fault as well, but I have driven that road at night and if you have oncoming traffic with lights in your eyes the chances of spotting something stopped in your lane are about as good as seeing a black cat in a coal cellar.

Very true, but according to story truck was there due to engine failure, so it could be little hard to push the truck to the side of the road for 1 person.

Also when road visibility is poor and in this case pitch black, driver must drive more slow and more cautious rather then gun it all the way.

In either respect i have never heard or law or circumstance when it was the fault of the driver who was hit from the back. Even if the car was parked in the middle of the road, thats not the reason to hit it.

No doubt the driver of the bus drove into Pattaya and without much rest had to drive back. I see the Pattaya-Bangkok buses and some drivers live/sleep on the bus, few hours sleep and off they go driving, not an excuse or a reason, just an observation.

My GF was in another bus and actually saw this happen, called me freaking out. Then her bus hit a DIFFERENT truck but no one was injured, just a bunch of broken glass and a banged up bus which they had to replace in Udon Thani.

I told her from now on she's flying. At least there is a better chance of the pilots being sober and alert. Minus the last 2 jet crashes of course. Bus and van travel is for those who don't place value on their life.

Here‘re some photos I had taken on my way home from Ubon Ratchathani last Friday.

The bus made all the way from Bangkok to Kantharalom, when the driver fell asleep. Only 25 km more to go…….

The good news is that there’re only two passengers on it, it happened in front of a gas station. The one sign in Thai is saying: “Think when you’re driving." :jap:

post-108180-0-75503600-1299383920_thumb.

post-108180-0-17710200-1299383943_thumb.

post-108180-0-65429700-1299383960_thumb.

post-108180-0-72332100-1299383979_thumb.