Safe Taxis

teemuj

Is there any taxi number in Bangkok where you can call one 24/7? I know there is plenty of taxis around, especially at night time, but this would be safer option for girlfriend to move around especially late at night. There has been problems before with threatening taxis, over charging and general feeling of insecurity with some of the taxis.

There is a number but not sure what it is. I did use it once to arrange a cab to take me to the airport and guess what? When he never turned up we called again and was told they are busy!

So now I never bother calling and always arrange something else.

I am a guy and even feel afraid using a taxi service alone after certain time at night.

I had to go to Don Muang many years ago (before I spoke Thai). Late at night I hailed a cab. Within minutes he made a phone call and soon picked up another Thai guy, stinking of whisky and with a very gruff manner.

I was nervous!

Then he got off the highway to DM at which I protested..."mai pan-ha, mai pen rai". I felt queezy and my bowels started to jellify. We ended up stopping under a bridge with a lot of homeless people and I was about to let loose by crapping all over them, terrified.

Drunk guy got out, driver carried on and left me safe at DM saying in better English than my Thai "Friend always drunk, but good heart and family want him home. I give discount for not straight to DM" . I think it was metered at 200 and he charged me 150 and said "no tip, please"!

However, I think (after many years of experience), I would agree with you in general, unless you speak a bit of Thai and conduct yourself in a forceful (but not beligerent) manner. This guy was honest but naive, because he did not realize the alarm his action caused to a farang.

Thairet

We use a lot of taxis and have never been in a position where we felt threatened or even cheated but have encountered a few nutters who are as crazy as the minibus drivers - speeding, tailgating etc and a few cabs that were definately unsafe from being not maintained well . Plus one cabbie who was so fanatically redshirt and played redshirt speeches on the radio at earbleeding volume during the problems last year.

However we have a couple of friends who drive taxis and we use them if we have a scheduled trip by booking in a time for the pick-up. Also if we find a exceptionally good cabbie we always ask for his card and ring him if our regular drivers are busy.

I would suggest this - find a good one and begin to give him yr business - he will welcome yr business and you will build a good business relationship with him .

Edited by xen

When my GF catches a taxi, she always rings someone and tells them the rego number.

Same here or smses it to someone. Why i let my gf out late at night because as a guide she often starts at crazy hours. Its kinda nice to see her wake up at 4am. (in Holland she could sleep and i had to wake up early) and go to work. We have a car but i would not let her use it because then the car is gone for 3 days or so until she returns.

Thailand is not that unsafe, also if it happens a lot you will get to know the taxi drivers in your area and then just take the same one all the time. Problem solved.

1681 is the metered taxi call center(number painted on most taxi's). I've used it a couple times and they are always on time and will call about 30 mins before the taxi arrives to tell me the license plate of the taxi picking me up. My cousin's GF also uses it alot with no problem.

Edited by arkom

1681 is the metered taxi call center(number painted on most taxi's). I've used it a couple times and they are always on time and will call about 30 mins before the taxi arrives to tell me the license plate of the taxi picking me up. My cousin's GF also uses it alot with no problem.

That's the number to use.

Radio Taxis and they will call you once a Taxi is arranged and give you the number so you can be sure it's the right one when it arrives. They also keep records and after the first appointment you simply give them your telephone number and they know where to send the Taxi.

Bear in mind they charge an extra Baht 20.- over and above the Meter Charge as a Service Fee.

Patrick

Excellent, thank you. Also relaying the registration number is a good idea, thanks.

And no, my GF does not work in Nana or Soi C, but does sometimes need to move around at odd hours.