No / Bad Chanote

Sometimes land is for sale with no proper chanote. Would like to know how this comes about. Off hand, I can only think of a "squatting-situation". Meaning that sometime in the past somebody just settled on government-land and stayed there. (I can't imagine that in Thailand "squatting" on private-land would be possible, since even if the owner of the land lives in distant Bangkok, he would have those squatters removed in a hurry.)

- So, I assume that the worst thing that could happen, is that the squatters would be driven off the governement-property. On the other hand it's hard to imagine that "the governement" would want to drive off some poor devil that has been living there for the last 15 years or so.

Anyone in the know?

Thanks & cheers.

Sometimes land is for sale with no proper chanote. Would like to know how this comes about. Off hand, I can only think of a "squatting-situation".

As a foreigner the answer is easy, never enter into a deal without a proper land title deed. As a Thai the answer would be different since squatters rights are recognized. Farm land could only have a possessory type local document, not a Land Department land title deed.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Sometimes land is for sale with no proper chanote. Would like to know how this comes about. Off hand, I can only think of a "squatting-situation".

As a foreigner the answer is easy, never enter into a deal without a proper land title deed. As a Thai the answer would be different since squatters rights are recognized. Farm land could only have a possessory type local document, not a Land Department land title deed.

As a Farang I have heard your message. Thx.

But will open new thread on "Chanote", still confusing to me.

Cheers.