Police Dismantle Thai Patriots Network Tent To Regain Traffic Lane From Protesters

webfact

Police dismantle Thai Patriots Network tent to regain traffic lane from protesters

BANGKOK, March 7 -- Police early Monday morning dismantled a tent erected by the Thai Patriots Network blocking a traffic lane near Government House at Chamaimaruchet Bridge, amid some resistance from the protesters.

Ten companies of police in riot gear, at about 5.30am pulled down one tent behind the Thai Patriots Network stage, as protesters tried to obstruct the police attempt, but the ‘patriots’ finally conceded to the police force.

Metropolitan Police Division 1 Chief Pol Maj Gen Wichai Sangprapai who led the operation told the protesters that only one tent would be pulled down to open the traffic lane for officials to enter and exit Government House at Gates Number 1 and 2.

Police later set up a barbed-wire barricade, metal barriers, and concrete blocks, along Chamaimaruchet Bridge to prevent protesters from replacing the tent to block traffic again so that one lane of road could be open for traffic.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva’s motorcade this morning also used the re-opened traffic to enter Government House.

Pol Lt Gen Worapong Chewpreecha, assistant to the national police chief, told reporters that the the move was attempt to regain road from the protesters not disperse attempt and the police used talks as tools to achieve the mission.

He said that the police would later try to regain the area from the protesters again in the near future particularly at the Misakkawan intersection, one of the areas to be used for the annual Red Cross Fair next month.

Nakhon Pathom Road was also in the plan to be regained to open traffic for students and public to use to enter and exit their schools, he said.

The network is camped along Phitsanulok Road, not far from Government House, to protest the government's handling Thai -Cambodian disputes issue and possible nept helping of Thais jailed in Cambodia.

The Cambodian court on Feb 1 ruled that Veera Somkwamkid, Thai Patriots Network coordinator, and his secretary Ratree Pipattanapaiboon were guilty of espionage, illegal entry, and trespassing in a military zone. They were sentenced to an eight-year jail term and a 1.8 million riel (US$450) fine for Mr Veera and a six-year jail term and a 1.2 million riel (US$300) fine for Ms Ratree. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-03-07

Do the same for the umpteenth Bangkok Red Shirt Rally in five days and the usual stopped traffic and snarled congestion around the city in their various locations.

I believe that the situation is different because they obtain a permit and they also leave the site when the rally is finished.

The kid gloves are off... hopefully for all colored shirts :

r4028324601.jpg

A "yellow shirt" supporter of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) sits in front of riot police near the Government House in Bangkok early March 7, 2011. Police are continuing their efforts to remove yellow shirt protesters occupying the area around government buildings in central Bangkok.

REUTERS

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110307/ids_photos_wl/r4259394624.jpg/#photoViewer=/110307/ids_photos_wl/r4028324601.jpg

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

r1430240650.jpg

Policemen scuffle with "yellow shirt" supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) near the Government House in Bangkok early March 7, 2011. Police are continuing their efforts to remove yellow shirt protesters occupying the area around government buildings in central Bangkok.

REUTERS

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110307/ids_photos_wl/r4259394624.jpg/#photoViewer=/110307/ids_photos_wl/r1430240650.jpg

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

wire.jpg

Thai riot police officers use razor wires to set up line for anti-government protesters outside the government house in Bangkok, Thailand Monday, March 7, 2011. Thai police continued to reclaim sections of the road outside the government house held by anti-government protesters in an attempt to open traffic to the public.

AP

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110307/ids_photos_wl/r4259394624.jpg/#photoViewer=/110307/481/urn_publicid_ap_org304e586e7f9740cab2772ba7d4bc8f47

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

and concluding with...

water.jpg

Protesters hand over drinking water to riot police officers during the protest outside the government house in Bangkok, Thailand Monday, March 7, 2011. Thai police continued to reclaim sections of the road outside the government house held by anti-government protesters in an attempt to open traffic to the public.

AP

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110307/ids_photos_wl/r4259394624.jpg/#photoViewer=/110307/481/urn_publicid_ap_org388955a8983e45f4bf04ffbf630633c8

Do the same for the umpteenth Bangkok Red Shirt Rally in five days and the usual stopped traffic and snarled congestion around the city in their various locations.

I believe that the situation is different because they obtain a permit and they also leave the site when the rally is finished.

The yellow shirts will also leave when the rally is finished. :whistling:

The focus certainly seems to be in the disruption of life to the millions of uninvolved Bangkokians.

In that regard, equal action by the authorities should be equal and without the dreaded "double standards."

With the Red Shirts shutting down most of the whole Ratchaprasong area two or more times every month has been an ongoing issue. Their parade-length blockage creating jams around Democracy Monument and other locations are well known, etc.

The point being, equal treatment for all.

No more disruptive protesting in the city by anyone.

Edited by Buchholz

In that regard, equal action by the authorities should be equal and without the dreaded "double standards."

Didn't hear so much about equal treatment when the yellow mob and its quasi fascist leadership was occupying key Bangkok locations and airport.Still progress of sorts I suppose.

Didn't hear so much about

Probably because the airport was well over 2 years ago...before either of us were members.

Still progress of sorts

Progress will be when this is responded to equally:

Red_Shirt_ratchaprasong.jpg

Probably because the airport was well over 2 years ago...before either of us were members.

Yeah, sure.

But in any case I was talking about the apologists for yellow reactionaries, repression, feudalism and military hegemony generally - not you personally.However if the cap fits...

Redshirt demonstrations are no doubt inconvenient but presumably (I'm guessing now) will wind down after the forthcoming elections assuming it's fairly conducted.

Yeah, sure.

But in any case I was talking about the apologists for yellow reactionaries, repression, feudalism and military hegemony generally - not you personally.However if the cap fits...

Redshirt demonstrations are no doubt inconvenient but presumably (I'm guessing now) will wind down after the forthcoming elections assuming it's fairly conducted.

Ah ok, sorry for mistaking your reply to my post as a reply to me.

But no worries, I don't fit that characterization anyway.

And yes, let's do hope the Red Shirts do wind down instead of winding up like they have for the past 2 years running at this time of year coming up.

A good piece of news... but neither the Redshirts nor anyone else should be given a permit to block a street.

Yeah, sure.

I suspect that if the PT/UDD win, then they will say that the elections were carried out fairly. But if they lose, then they will say that the elections were unfair and full of vote-buying (not by them, of course), and then we'll see more Red Shirt demonstrations. I'm confident, though, that the Democrats, if they win, will pass a law stopping the pointless rallies in the city centre.

What happened to not being able to block traffic - full stop. If the police/army do not stop this consistent rabble of all colours interfering with traffic then what hope does Govt and BKK have? May as well list another coup and get on with the dark ages - yet again. angry.gif

Actually I think today's move was a good move, and they actually sent someone of rank to oversee it. In fact, even though the man in charge was police and not Army -- the guy was equal rank to Chamlong.

Actually I think today's move was a good move, and they actually sent someone of rank to oversee it. In fact, even though the man in charge was police and not Army -- the guy was equal rank to Chamlong.

The main difference I assume is that the police chap is currently in rank and serving and k. Chamlong had that rank before retiring.

The main difference I assume is that the police chap is currently in rank and serving and k. Chamlong had that rank before retiring.

:) My thoughts were about social peers/equivalents (not that the army is likely to see the police as peers) --- I just think that had it come to higher level discussions, that it would have remained more civil and had better results than had they sent a Pol Lt Col.

:) My thoughts were about social peers/equivalents (not that the army is likely to see the police as peers) --- I just think that had it come to higher level discussions, that it would have remained more civil and had better results than had they sent a Pol Lt Col.

You're absolutely right, jd. I forgot: TiT :D

Yeah, sure.

I suspect that if the PT/UDD win, then they will say that the elections were carried out fairly. But if they lose, then they will say that the elections were unfair and full of vote-buying (not by them, of course), and then we'll see more Red Shirt demonstrations. I'm confident, though, that the Democrats, if they win, will pass a law stopping the pointless rallies in the city centre.

NO No NO

It is hoped that the new winner will be bold enough to enact new laws

to prosecute and confiscate any and all properties both tangible and intangible,

from those found guilty by the court of laws,

particularly those govt officials including past and present PM.... :)

A good piece of news... but neither the Redshirts nor anyone else should be given a permit to block a street.

I appreciate your point. However, the government has responded to a group with grievances by allowing them an opportunity to blow off steam. It's like a pressure vessel, If you don't reduce the pressure from time to time it can explode. As discomforting as it is to some to have these people rallying, it helps to control and manage the situation. I don't believe that the vendors should block the sidewalks of Sukhumvit, yet they do, It is illegal to set up these stall, but it is tolerated. This is how Thailand manages situations. It maintains the peace. As long as these groups coordinate with the local authorities and receive permission there is not much one can do except take an alternative route on the day(s) of the rallies.

the people with the money have to understand if the Red shirts don't get a good deal they wont have cash to spend that keeps the well off in the life style they have become to exspect, if you dont have demonstrations you will always have a police state................... but i take it you people that are ok like this system !