An Email Reply From Paypal

I have successfully set up and used a PayPal account tied to my Thai Bangkok Bank account ,to purchase items from the internet . I am now looking at ways of using my PayPal account to possibly transfer money from my Spanish Santander bank account to my Thai Bangkok Bank account ( the same Bangkok Bank account I use for PayPal ) . so I thought I would email PayPal and ask if its possible .

This is the reply I received ..

Thank you for contacting PayPal with your concern. My name is Rose. I

will be happy to assist you with your question regarding your PayPal

account.

>From your email I understand you want to know I you can send money from

your Santander Spanish bank account to your Thailand bank account using

your PayPal account. Please do not worry, let me explain for you.

We are terribly sorry that currently you could use your PayPal balance

or your credit cards/debit cards to pay. The Debit Cards (also called

check cards, ATM cards, or banking cards) are accepted if they have a

Visa or MasterCard logo. And you could not send payment through PayPal

to your bank account directly, because your bank and PayPal are

different organizations, but you could send your payment to another

PayPal, and then, withdraw money to your bank account linked in your

PayPal account.

Thanks a lot for your understanding, please kindly forgive the

inconvenience.

You understanding will be highly appreciated! Please let me know if

there is anything unclear about the payment. It is my pleasure to assist

you. Thank you for choosing PayPal.

We currently provide Mandarin, Cantonese, and English service.

Does any one understand their reply , as I'm not too sure what they mean :rolleyes:

Trying to get money into a Thai account by routing it through Paypal is in my opinion stupid and extremely expensive. You would have to pay fees on the money going in to paypal, fees for the conversion in currency and then probably another set of fees for it being received by the Thai bank as an International receipt.

You state Santander, is your account actually in Spain or in another country, UK for example ?

Edited by CharlieH

Why involve paypal in the transaction at all ? :huh:

Simply transfer the money from the Santander acc to the BKK acc via swift. Job done ;)

To arrange a SWIFT electronic transfer of money from my Santander bank in Spain to my Thai Bangkok Bank the only way Santander will accept my SWIFT transfer request is by me sending in the post a written request to my Santander branch each time I want to transfer any money , as I would like to Transfer money on a regular basis , having to send a written transfer request every time is just plain crazy . So I am looking at other ways of transferring money.

I can access my Santander bank account in Spain on the internet , but Santander do not offer the option of online electronic transfers of money .

The amounts I want to Transfer are around 500 Euros a Month on an on going basis .

Any Ideas :)

Simply transfer the money from the Santander acc to the BKK acc via swift. Job done ;)

To arrange a SWIFT electronic transfer of money from my Santander bank in Spain to my Thai Bangkok Bank the only way Santander will accept my SWIFT transfer request is by me sending in the post a written request to my Santander branch each time I want to transfer any money , as I would like to Transfer money on a regular basis , having to send a written transfer request every time is just plain crazy . So I am looking at other ways of transferring money.

I can access my Santander bank account in Spain on the internet , but Santander do not offer the option of online electronic transfers of money .

The amounts I want to Transfer are around 500 Euros a Month on an on going basis .

For such a tiny amount I really don't think you'll be able to beat just paying the 150 baht and using an ATM card. Unless it is because you can't get an ATM card on that account, I can't think of any reason to do anything else.

For such a small amount either get it from the ATM or go inside the bank and draw it over the counter assuming you have a visa type card for that account. If you cant/dont have either I guess its time to change your bank or open another account somewhere that has better facilities.

If you can do ATM use AEON they dont charge the 150 baht fee other do.

Edited by CharlieH

Set up another Paypal account using a different email address attached to the Spanish Santander account. Make sure you use the correct country when setting it up.

Then simply use the Spanish paypal account to send payment to your Thai paypal account.

Now, if only I could do this with Laos Banks!

From my experience PayPal now seems to be run by robots. I have also had a nonsense reply to an email I sent to their help desk people. I guess they just pick key words in your email and have pro-forma responses that they flick back at you. As as organisation they appear to be extremely difficult to contact ... they seem to have removed all email contact addresses from their web site leaving just the helpline answered by robots (which you have to be a registered user to access anyway). I have searched and found various other contact email addresses online (not listed in the PayPal web site) but emails to these addresses have all gone unanswered.

Strangely, I had an ongoing email exchange with them about a similar matter a couple of years ago and the people responding then were consistently prompt, cordial and helpful.

We currently provide Mandarin, Cantonese, and English service.

Suspect that explains the poor English for that PayPal email. Likely not a native English speaker and would seem to only cover China (or Taiwan).

Won't your bank accept a recurring transfer request for sending the same amount every month (so only one letter required until you need to make a change)?

What the moron at PayPal (they are all morons) was trying to say was that your existing PayPal account is UK based and tied to a UK bank. In order to withdraw money in a country your account must be tied to a bank in that country. Your UK account cannot be based in two countries at the same time and so you would need to open a second PayPal account based in Thailand with a suitable tied bank and then send money to yourself, as ParrotHead suggested. You must use two email addresses for this.

As mentioned, it is not a cost-effective way of transfering money apart from for extremely small sums (and why would anyone want to transfer a small sum to themselves?).

If pressed, PayPal will tell you that this is to do with international money-laundering regulations. I say that's b*llocks. PayPal are just amazingly incompetent, that's all. For a real laugh, search for "paypal blocked my account" on Google. There are people (many people) who have had huge sums blocked for no valid reason whatsoever. I myself had a PayPal account with GBP1000 in it blocked for several weeks, with no communication from PayPal about it, and only when I filed a complaint with the UK FSA was it unblocked (within 48 hours I might add).

Yes, direct transfer from bank to bank is the most efficient way, the swift transfer fee in pounds is about 15.00 and fee's in USD is 18.00

If you have no "online" A/c with Santander then 'phone or fax them to get matters moving.

As to PayPal ... I also use them for internet purchasing, chiefly for security reason since one does not have to disclose one's credit card details to every website product seller.

For such a tiny amount I really don't think you'll be able to beat just paying the 150 baht and using an ATM card. Unless it is because you can't get an ATM card on that account, I can't think of any reason to do anything else.

As an "expat" you need efficient money transfer facilities from your bank, since Santander does not provide such a facility, there is only one solution left ... find a new bank.

As an "expat" you need efficient money transfer facilities from your bank, since Santander does not provide such a facility, there is only one solution left ... find a new bank.

Hi

I have tried to find a way to open a new bank account with a different bank in Spain, but so far the answer I get back is --- just pop into the nearest branch and apply in person , as I don't plan to return to Spain any time soon , it seems my existing Santander account is my only current option , I have rang Santander head office, and I was told was to contact my local branch and discuss the problem with them, my local branch's answer was , when you want to transfer money from your account to a bank out side Spain, please send us a written transfer request each time .

Ive just emailed Barclays ( Spain ) and told them I live in Thailand , but have Spanish residency and how can I open a new account with them?

This is the email reply ..

Dear Mr. Thailife ,

Let us take this opportunity to thank you for thinking of banking with

Barclays.

You can apply for a current account with us by completing the necessary

application forms at any of our branches. Barclays Spain has over 500

branches distributed across the country, although not all of these can

guarantee the availability of English speakers.

Get in touch with our Telephone Banking Service if you need assistance in

locating the most appropriate branch to you, particularly if you require an

English-speaking member of staff to help you. They can be reached on 901 10

16 10 from within Spain or (+34) 91 336 16 10 if you are calling from

outside Spain. Alternatively, you can use our branch finder to help you

locate the nearest branch.

When you arrive at the branch the relationship manager will be happy to

explain the current account products available to you, as well as the

applicable fees, terms and conditions. We permit up to 4 named individuals

on a single account.

You will need to supply the following documentation in order to identify

yourself (and each of the named account holders, if applicable):

Valid passport, Spanish National Identity Card or Residency Permit.

Proof of address (e.g. utility bill, council tax bill) issued within last 3

months.

Proof of occupation confirming the professional status of each applicant.

Acceptable documents include, for example: employee payslip, confirmation

of pension/disability payment, student card, signed statement from

Chartered Accountant or lawyer. If the applicant does not work in a

professional capacity or is unable to prove their status (e.g. housewife) a

letter of confirmation signed by that applicant will be required.

The member of staff will then undertake all the validation steps and should

be able to open the account for you straight away, although it will take a

few days for your cheque book and cards to be sent, together with the

Welcome Pack for the Telephone and Internet Banking service (if these have

been requested).

Note that for security reasons the Visa cards and PIN numbers cannot be

sent overseas. If these facilities have been requested, they will be

retained by your branch in Spain until such a time that you are able to

pick them up.

My email specifically told them I was not in Spain.

and a recent email from my Santander Spanish Branch advised me that they would no longer accept any bank cheques in non Euro denominations :whistling:

All though currently I want to only transfer around € 500 a Month, there's times that I want to transfer larger one off amounts , so the online

option to arrange that would be great , but sadly not available with Santander .

• 8 years later...

Now, in 2019, I have the same problem! Official problems etc. etc. My bank, the BBVA, started not long ago to introduce your telephone which you had to do personally. Luckily I had someone who could help me, be now I'm blocked again: my debit / credit card is expiring! When I want to send money from the bank to Thailand I only can do it shortly now with BIZUM, and I really don't know how to install that! 

I can try to get my (Spanish) pension to my bank in Thailand, but I'm afraid when I start there I get big and long problems, I'm afraid for several reasons! In february I'm really stuck!

56 minutes ago, Bangkokianbaba said:

I don't have money in Thailand, but at my bank in Spain!

Coinbase let you buy USDC with your Spanish bank account. Everex let you withdraw USDC at Thai ATM without any ATM card. If you choose to check the fee maybe try coinbasepro instead of coinbase. I read they have 0 trade fee for market maker. USDC is pegged to USD so there is no fluctuations risk normally associated with cryptocurrencies. I don't know if this is the best options for you but I'm only giving you the information. 

Edit: maybe some European exchange like Kraken also sell USDC but I'm not sure. 

Edited by Tayaout

3 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Coinbase let you buy USDC with your Spanish bank account. Everex let you withdraw USDC at Thai ATM without any ATM card. If you choose to check the fee maybe try coinbasepro instead of coinbase. I read they have 0 trade fee for market maker. USDC is pegged to USD so there is no fluctuations risk normally associated with cryptocurrencies. I don't know if this is the best options for you but I'm only giving you the information. 

Edit: maybe some European exchange like Kraken also sell USDC but I'm not sure. 

Thank you Tayaout!