Warning To People Thinking About Buying Car In Los

dmax

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wake up Warps, l said COVER the brake not rest foot on brake. :rolleyes: God it's difficult some times.

Heel and toe, you think the average driver uses heel and toe, NO, race car stuff.

Re-cap, auto, two pedals, l have two feet,......................... manual, THREE pedals but l still have two feet, easy really. :D

FRom earlier posts of you I thought that you had experience with car driving.I clearly was mistaken if I read now that you use two feet to drive a car with automatic transmission.Most dangerous situation I can think about as Warpspeed already pointed out.

Clearly you don't understand my reasons so l will try again.

From my drag racing days with autos two feet were used. No trans brake, so, Hold the car on the line with the left foot (brake), bring revs up to near stall speed on the right foot, light turns green, release brake and floor it. TWO FEET. Same on the road, two pedals, two feet. SAVES TIME.

Do you eat your dinner with two hands or one ? Oooooooops, forgot, most yanks eat with one, sorry.

PS. Why do American cars have a huge brake pedal ? Will tell you. So you can use either feet to brake or both, or if the ride has a foot parking brake you can swop feet on release.

My way of driving for sure is the safest, proved it time and again on the road. :)

Lastly, what is dangerous about using two feet on two pedals ? I use two hands to fire a pistol, but could use one, I use two hands to eat a hamburger but could use one. :rolleyes:

No brake lights to be concerned with when drag racing as no poor sod behind you wondering what the hell you're braking for :huh: .. I think we both understood your reasons perfectly :rolleyes: ...Now the back peddling begins :whistling: ...

You mnetioned my driving style was racing stuff and then you go and tell us that yours is derived by guess what??? :w00t::cheesy:

Eat dinner with one hand?? Poor analogy, of course I do I don't shovel with both hands :giggle: I leave out the unnecessary and silly attempt at comparison between Yanks and Brits as I don't see the attempted nationality slam as relevant..

American cars have larger then usual brake peddles?? That's news to me, the older larger cars before the gas shortages did like the T/A's for example but only because they had larger engines and the entire drivers compartment was more spacious now it's all scaled accordingly like every where else in the world.

Another blanket statement not applicable to everyone. Your way of driving is most certainly not the safest by any stretch, it may be for you (questionable) but definitely not for the average driver. Many people have been killed to the point that in western countries every manufacturer now puts a brake sensor cut off that kicks down the engine and prevents you from accelerating while braking..Have had those for more then 10 years now...

last sentence has been answered a couple of times now..See paragraph above...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Lastly, what is dangerous about using two feet on two pedals ? I use two hands to fire a pistol, but could use one, I use two hands to eat a hamburger but could use one. :rolleyes:

As Warpspeed pointed out already.When you have to make an emergency brake your whole body will move forward.If you brake with your left foot,your right foot is still on the throttle at that time so you will floor the pedal with your body weight which makes the car accelerating at the same time that you are braking, which in turn will reduce the efficiency of your braking.

Sorry? I pointed that out?? :huh:

As Warpspeed pointed out already.When you have to make an emergency brake your whole body will move forward.If you brake with your left foot,your right foot is still on the throttle at that time so you will floor the pedal with your body weight which makes the car accelerating at the same time that you are braking, which in turn will reduce the efficiency of your braking.

I don't think you know how to drive a car using all your god given gifts, hands and feet. :rolleyes:

and ive had enough near misses

So are you going to walk everywhere from now on or just not travel because surely you aren't going to let someone else drive you with the all the near misses you've witnessed on a regular basis?

Why not check yourself into a defensive driving course?

Oh! So you're that silly plonker driving in front of me with your brake lights on all the time..

Doing so makes it possible for you to keep pressing the accelerator while also pressing the brake especially in panic braking situations.

That can't happen with a manual and actually I heal and toe all the time which also adds the engine to my braking distance so I don't have your delay worries in reaction moving from accelerator to brake, besides doing so often keeps you in practice and as such I guarantee I can react quicker then the average or even above average automatic driver..

Isn't the above a post of yours and doesn't it say the same in other words?

Wake up Warps, l said COVER the brake not rest foot on brake. God it's difficult some times.

Heel and toe, you think the average driver uses heel and toe, NO, race car stuff.

Re-cap, auto, two pedals, l have two feet,......................... manual, THREE pedals but l still have two feet, easy really.

FRom earlier posts of you I thought that you had experience with car driving.I clearly was mistaken if I read now that you use two feet to drive a car with automatic transmission.Most dangerous situation I can think about as Warpspeed already pointed out.

From my drag racing days with autos two feet were used. No trans brake, so, Hold the car on the line with the left foot (brake), bring revs up to near stall speed on the right foot, light turns green, release brake and floor it. TWO FEET. Same on the road, two pedals, two feet. SAVES TIME.

Do you eat your dinner with two hands or one ? Oooooooops, forgot, most yanks eat with one, sorry.

PS. Why do American cars have a huge brake pedal ? Will tell you. So you can use either feet to brake or both, or if the ride has a foot parking brake you can swop feet on release.

My way of driving for sure is the safest, proved it time and again on the road. :)

No brake lights to be concerned with when drag racing as no poor sod behind you wondering what the hell you're braking for :huh: .. I think we both understood your reasons perfectly :rolleyes: ...Now the back peddling begins :whistling: ...

You mnetioned my driving style was racing stuff and then you go and tell us that yours is derived by guess what??? :w00t::cheesy:

Eat dinner with one hand?? Poor analogy, of course I do I don't shovel with both hands :giggle: I leave out the unnecessary and silly attempt at comparison between Yanks and Brits as I don't see the attempted nationality slam as relevant..

American cars have larger then usual brake peddles?? That's news to me, the older larger cars before the gas shortages did like the T/A's for example but only because they had larger engines and the entire drivers compartment was more spacious now it's all scaled accordingly like every where else in the world.

Another blanket statement not applicable to everyone. Your way of driving is most certainly not the safest by any stretch, it may be for you (questionable) but definitely not for the average driver. Many people have been killed to the point that in western countries every manufacturer now puts a brake sensor cut off that kicks down the engine and prevents you from accelerating while braking..Have had those for more then 10 years now...

Lot of waffle Warps but you have not shown me/us why using my left foot to brake and my right to accelerate is dangerous or in fact better or worse than using one foot for both. If your saying l haven't got the sense, or YOU haven't got the sense to release the right foot when using the left well thats your problem but for me it is no problem. Even at my age l can handle it, but perhaps for you and others it might be a bit complicated, bit like learning to drive again eh. :)

[, Soooooo, you must remain in control of their destiny. :)

I totally agree with Transam and the others who've made this point. The alternatives to having your own wheels is to take you & your family's lives out of your own control. I don't agree however with the earlier poster who suggests to drive on the offensive..unless he meant assertive which I do agree with.

Oh! So you're that silly plonker driving in front of me with your brake lights on all the time..

Doing so makes it possible for you to keep pressing the accelerator while also pressing the brake especially in panic braking situations.

That can't happen with a manual and actually I heal and toe all the time which also adds the engine to my braking distance so I don't have your delay worries in reaction moving from accelerator to brake, besides doing so often keeps you in practice and as such I guarantee I can react quicker then the average or even above average automatic driver..

Isn't the above a post of yours and doesn't it say the same in other words?

Yes it's my post, no it isn't quite the same no inclusion of sliding forward under braking and I'm not picking a bone with you as your thinking is not that far out of sync, but with a seat belt on (presuming one was wearing one) you wouldn't slide forward and my quote doesn't mention anything about doing that just the fact that most average drivers who especially when panic braking and using both feet tend to slam both feet forward at the same time in essence out of an instinctive reaction and to brace themselves for possible impact so I didn't state it in the detail or terms that you did hence my query...

bullst**rs and negetive comments tut tut bah.gif most of you know that driving in thailand is far more hazardous that in uk or europe !! when last in khon kean in december there were 2 people lying at the roadside in body bags. 3 weeks ago outside the villiage a guy was killed we seen that one too .. i see at least 1 bad accident everytime im driving up to isaan. i do not drive over 120 kph while i have my kid in the car. last time im in isaan some idiot in a lorry/ tuk tuk overloaded with sugar pulls out in front of me on a country rd ( no street lighting ) no lights on his lorry /tuk tuk only i was going slower than usual i would of been right into him, yesterday some clown ( farang not thai ) near runs into me at speed on a motor bike at the crossroads between soi bukeaw and soi diana ( you all know what this crossroads is like) probably pis**d . most cars have no m.o.t and you have all seen the bangers witth no brake lights etc.

as i say ive got a young baby to think about .

Such is life chum, we all know the driving pitfalls in LOS and drive accordingly, no relaxation behind the wheel here, but that's one of the things one must think about if you want a life in LOS. It's not going to change in our lifetime.

You must remember that in your own ride YOU are in control, where with public transport of any kind the driver is perhaps one of these knutters you are referring too to take care of your family :unsure:, Soooooo, you must remain in control of their destiny. :)

exactly transam i know what your saying, it only takes 1 time , and ive had enough near misses ( through absolutely no fault of my own ), i just cant risk that with my kid but some people cant understand that on here.

enough said.

So, Dmax, I agree with you, driving is more dangerous here. The question still remains, given that it is more dangerous and you have your baby to think about, so you won't be driving. How are you going to travel now? I think everyone understands that you feel it's dangerous to drive your family around, but what they, and I, don't agree with is that it's not going to be any safer just because you're not driving!

You'll still be on the road, in a vehicle of some sort, but you won't be in control of it. That, to me anyway, would appear to be more dangerous than if you were driving yourself.

If your answer to the dangers on the roads is to not use them at all, then that's one thing, if however, you reckon taking the bus/taxi is safer than driving yourself, then, as it has been pointed out, it probably isn't. No car seat for the little one, no seat belt, no control over the maintenance of the vehicle or it's movements on the road, etc. etc. how is that going to be safer?

Edited by bifftastic

bullst**rs and negetive comments tut tut bah.gif most of you know that driving in thailand is far more hazardous that in uk or europe !! when last in khon kean in december there were 2 people lying at the roadside in body bags. 3 weeks ago outside the villiage a guy was killed we seen that one too .. i see at least 1 bad accident everytime im driving up to isaan. i do not drive over 120 kph while i have my kid in the car. last time im in isaan some idiot in a lorry/ tuk tuk overloaded with sugar pulls out in front of me on a country rd ( no street lighting ) no lights on his lorry /tuk tuk only i was going slower than usual i would of been right into him, yesterday some clown ( farang not thai ) near runs into me at speed on a motor bike at the crossroads between soi bukeaw and soi diana ( you all know what this crossroads is like) probably pis**d . most cars have no m.o.t and you have all seen the bangers witth no brake lights etc.

Such is life chum, we all know the driving pitfalls in LOS and drive accordingly, no relaxation behind the wheel here, but that's one of the things one must think about if you want a life in LOS. It's not going to change in our lifetime.

You must remember that in your own ride YOU are in control, where with public transport of any kind the driver is perhaps one of these knutters you are referring too to take care of your family :unsure:, Soooooo, you must remain in control of their destiny. :)

exactly transam i know what your saying, it only takes 1 time , and ive had enough near misses ( through absolutely no fault of my own ), i just cant risk that with my kid but some people cant understand that on here.

enough said.

So, Dmax, I agree with you, driving is more dangerous here. The question still remains, given that it is more dangerous and you have your baby to think about, so you won't be driving. How are you going to travel now? I think everyone understands that you feel it's dangerous to drive your family around, but what they, and I, don't agree with is that it's not going to be any safer just because you're not driving!

You'll still be on the road, in a vehicle of some sort, but you won't be in control of it. That, to me anyway, would appear to be more dangerous than if you were driving yourself.

If your answer to the dangers on the roads is to not use them at all, then that's one thing, if however, you reckon taking the bus/taxi is safer than driving yourself, then, as it has been pointed out, it probably isn't. No car seat for the little one, no seat belt, no control over the maintenance of the vehicle or it's movements on the road, etc. etc. how is that going to be safer?

When my wife got pregnant we bought a car, so a couple of motorbikes + a car in the garage which is very usefull to us. I agree with above post, trust a bus/taxi driver?? I once used a Tuk-Tuk a Saturday evening up in ChangMai and the driver was doing whelelies in it because he was pretty shit faced. I was laufing at him because I was shit faced too and not married at that time.

When posilbe don't drive at night, when all the drunk drivers are out and about, with and without lights

Lot of waffle Warps but you have not shown me/us why using my left foot to brake and my right to accelerate is dangerous or in fact better or worse than using one foot for both. If your saying l haven't got the sense, or YOU haven't got the sense to release the right foot when using the left well thats your problem but for me it is no problem. Even at my age l can handle it, but perhaps for you and others it might be a bit complicated, bit like learning to drive again eh. :)

Nice try, no waffle anywhere just the typical backpedaling and dodging by you and maybe just your lack of understanding. Yes, I see it now, once again your comprehension is failing you as I have described why it is NOT the safest way to drive now several times..

I'm not going to play your game of twisting or misquoting every post again T/A. I have mentioned several times "THE AVERAGE DRIVER" not "YOU" or "ANYONE" else that's your hang up, not mine.... You opened with a blanket statement that your driving style was the "BEST" and "safest" then any other, it is not! Period!

The average driver has big problems with your driving style... By your response you must consider yourself no better then the average driver then by putting yourself in the same category as my description of "average" and you still defending yourself..

JFYI It's not me who has a problem with, as you said, only 2 feet and 3 peddles, when I drive I use both feet as if I had 3 feet on all 3 peddles so coordination is far from my problem.. Beginning with using my right foot on both the brake and accelerator matching engine revs on down shift and my left on the clutch and then once in the proper gear sliding my left over to the brake and my right to the accelerator and now use my left to brake.

While cornering I use my right foot to accelerate while using my left on the brake to keep the revs up and stay smooth and modulate traction so no wheel spin, under or over steer just smooth, controlled power application through and out of the corner...

Give it a try sometime.................... Oh wait!! You can't! It requires something more sporty then an automatic Vigo and not a technique for the "AVERAGE" driver anyway :whistling: ....

Edited by WarpSpeed

enough said.

Yes this is still the pressing issue, not his concerns which are unchangeable and we all share but his solution which is still a burning question to be answered..

My way of driving for sure is the safest, proved it time and again on the road.

No brake lights to be concerned with when drag racing as no poor sod behind you wondering what the hell you're braking for .. I think we both understood your reasons perfectly :rolleyes: ...Now the back peddling begins ...

Nice try, no waffle anywhere just the typical backpedaling and dodging by you and maybe just your lack of understanding. Yes, I see it now, once again your comprehension is failing you as I have described why it is NOT the safest way to drive now several times..

I'm not going to play your game of twisting or misquoting every post again T/A. I have mentioned several times "THE AVERAGE DRIVER" not "YOU" or "ANYONE" else that's your hang up, not mine.... You opened with a blanket statement that your driving style was the "BEST" and "safest" then any other, it is not! Period!

The average driver has big problems with your driving style... By your response you must consider yourself no better then the average driver then by putting yourself in the same category as my description of "average" and you still defending yourself..

JFYI It's not me who has a problem with, as you said, only 2 feet and 3 peddles, when I drive I use both feet as if I had 3 feet on all 3 peddles so coordination is far from my problem.. Beginning with using my right foot on both the brake and accelerator matching engine revs on down shift and my left on the clutch and then once in the proper gear sliding my left over to the brake and my right to the accelerator and now use my left to brake.

While cornering I use my right foot to accelerate while using my left on the brake to keep the revs up and stay smooth and modulate traction so no wheel spin, under or over steer just smooth, controlled power application through and out of the corner...

Give it a try sometime.................... Oh wait!! You can't! It requires something more sporty then an automatic Vigo and not a technique for the "AVERAGE" driver anyway :whistling: ....

You yourself have twisted stuff, using lots of waffle to my original post that l use two feet to drive my auto ride, one for the brake and one for the accelerator. You and another say it's unsafe etc, etc. One cannot coordinate and words to that effect.

Then please tell me how l managed to drive my Honda 250 :rolleyes:, ONE foot on the brake, ONE foot shifting gears, ONE hand for the clutch and wait for it, yes another hand for throttle and front brake.

Now how do you think l managed to drive it with all my limbs working something. And coordinating everything, hhhmmmmmmm.

Honestly your criticism of me using two feet to drive is, well, :unsure:

Let me try again, when in town l cover the brake with the left foot incase the USUAL unexpected happens, SO that l illuminate the split second to move my foot off the gas and onto the brake. The emergency braking will be simultaneous with the foot off the gas saving that wee bit of time. And it works every time. Simple really,

Now sit down and think how me and millions of bikers can manipulate all those things with 4 limbs and steer it. :)

You yourself have twisted stuff, using lots of waffle to my original post that l use two feet to drive my auto ride, one for the brake and one for the accelerator. You and another say it's unsafe etc, etc. One cannot coordinate and words to that effect.

Then please tell me how l managed to drive my Honda 250 :rolleyes:, ONE foot on the brake, ONE foot shifting gears, ONE hand for the clutch and wait for it, yes another hand for throttle and front brake.

Now how do you think l managed to drive it with all my limbs working something. And coordinating everything, hhhmmmmmmm.

Let me try again, when in town l cover the brake with the left foot incase the USUAL unexpected happens, SO that l illuminate the split second to move my foot off the gas and onto the brake. The emergency braking will be simultaneous with the foot off the gas saving that wee bit of time. And it works every time. Simple really,

Now sit down and think how me and millions of bikers can manipulate all those things with 4 limbs and steer it. :)

seconded

in my auto cars I have left foot prepered to brake, and most braking is done with left foot. Emergency braking, far to frequent in LOS, usually both feet ends at brake pedal as reflex is still in right foot. Most of us apply far to little power on brake pedal in a ABS vehicle, as we are in old mode of non ABS brakes not wanting to lock brakes. Wrong. Give it all :)

riding my Ninja, both feet and hands are needed

Oh! So you're that silly plonker driving in front of me with your brake lights on all the time.

av-11672.gif

being prepared to brake asap is not the same as resting your foot on the brake pedal :rolleyes:

did weeks of brake tests when I worked for a car maker, and left foot braking usually provides the shortest stopping distance

its also commonly used on snow and ice to create oversteer when desired

So no waffling can be made out of it plain and simply I have not waffled and I have explained in plain English why it's unsafe, I'm done now, you continue to be off topic so, go do your 2 footed crap driving..

AFAIK there have been no studies that suggest 2 footed driving is less safe than one when driving an automatic ...... but honestly all that mess is off topic.

The question still remains, how will Dmax travel in Thailand any safer than driving himself? I actually agree with him that he shouldn't drive, He is fearful and apparently has not adjusted to driving conditions in Thailand (which arguably ARE more dangerous than many other places.)

Oh! So you're that silly plonker driving in front of me with your brake lights on all the time.

av-11672.gif

being prepared to brake asap is not the same as resting your foot on the brake pedal :rolleyes:

did weeks of brake tests when I worked for a car maker, and left foot braking usually provides the shortest stopping distance

No one disputed that, the only dispute is that IT IS NOT SAFE for the AVERAGE DRIVER....Are you and T/A "average drivers"??????

Actually you may have answered that already with the next sentence in your response.

I'm sorry but braking does not create over steer in those conditions, it creates under steer or commonly termed as "push" unless the rear only is depressed by use of the Ebrake.. Only rolling tires with front end grip will create over steer in snow and ice conditions, stopping tires do not create grip in those conditions.. Just like hydroplaning in the rain, braking is the worst thing to do control wise.. Steering and throttle is the only thing that will create over steer.. This varies slightly between F & RWD..

Edited by WarpSpeed

That can't be right. What do you use a) to keep the sun out of your eyes and b.) answer your mobile phone ?

Edited by cardholder

av-11672.gif

No one disputed that, the only dispute is that IT IS NOT SAFE for the AVERAGE DRIVER....Are you and T/A "average drivers"??????

Actually you may have answered that already with the next sentence in your response.

I'm sorry but braking does not create over steer in those conditions, it creates under steer or commonly termed as "push" unless the rear only is depressed by use of the Ebrake.. Only rolling tires with front end grip will create over steer in snow and ice conditions, stopping tires do not create grip in those conditions.. Just like hydroplaning in the rain, braking is the worst thing to do control wise.. Steering and throttle is the only thing that will create over steer.. This varies slightly between F & RWD..

hehehe, I won group N rally on snow and ice. left foot braking FWD/4wd while throttling absolutely creates oversteer to enter curve. so does handbrake on rearwheel handbraked cars, but on most cars with rear discs with to little power. Modified brakes not allowed in group N

left foot braking also keeps the turbo pressure up as you dont leave the throttle, and can be used as a limited slip

and Warp, average driving hasnt been discussed for a while in this thread

Tourists coming here for a 2 week holiday, I recommend them to not drive. Those above average insist anyway :)

hehehe, I won group N rally on snow and ice. left foot braking FWD/4wd while throttling absolutely creates oversteer to enter curve. so does handbrake on rearwheel handbraked cars, but on most cars with rear discs with to little power. Modified brakes not allowed in group N

left foot braking also keeps the turbo pressure up as you dont leave the throttle, and can be used as a limited slip

and Warp, average driving hasnt been discussed for a while in this thread

Tourists coming here for a 2 week holiday, I recommend them to not drive. Those above average insist anyway :)

Nice waffle as I've been accused of doing but have yet to do.. Yes, thank you for confirming exactly what I posted, for the purposes of accuracy I've highlighted the agreeable portions. You have to be throttling to create over steer not braking as you previously mentioned top quote no mention anywhere of throttle application. You brake on entry and turn in initially and then throttle and steer into the drift but that is not how the "average driver" drives on a daily basis in slippery conditions that is performance driving.

If the average driver tip toeing and creeping into a corner in slippery conditions brakes as you suggested to get the car to over steer they'll end up off road pretty quickly..

Also no manufacturer sets up a stock car to drive like that anyway as it is safer for the average driver to control over steer then it is for under steer so every car comes with under steer dialed in by default..

Don't know what you mean about "average driver" never being mentioned here as I've mentioned it several times if you really READ back...

Turbos now is it no previous mention of that?? Yes I know as I've also stated in previous threads but it doesn't just apply to turbos it applies across the board with every type and size of engine, only it works better for some then others but is a valuable tool for all..

That can't be right. What do you use a) to keep the sun out of your eyes and b.) answer your mobile phone ?

:lol: I wear sun glasses and use my nose for the mobile :lol: but Warps will say thats not possible :lol: unless your doing a wheely, going backwards wearing a kilt. :lol:

:lol: I wear sun glasses and use my nose for the mobile :lol: but Warps will say thats not possible :lol: unless your doing a wheely, going backwards wearing a kilt. :lol:

Yep, that's what I'd say, especially since kilts are soooooo popular where I come from :rolleyes:.... Are we talking about bikes now T/A since you couldn't keep up with the automobile conversation? More waffling?

JFYI this debate is not about left foot braking as I do it all the time myself, it's about the safety of the technique for the "AVERAGE driver" let alone the below average driver neither of which I would ever recommend the technique as enough above average drivers have problems with the timing, coordination and pressure required in using your left foot it takes hours of practice to do it properly and still many never develop that skill anymore then every driver is a top footballer..

It was claimed that it was "the safest way to brake" and that is an all encompassing statement not applicable to ALL drivers...

Yep, that's what I'd say, especially since kilts are soooooo popular where I come from :rolleyes:.... Are we talking about bikes now T/A since you couldn't keep up with the automobile conversation? More waffling?

JFYI this debate is not about left foot braking as I do it all the time myself, it's about the safety of the technique for the "AVERAGE driver" let alone the below average driver neither of which I would ever recommend the technique as enough above average drivers have problems with the timing, coordination and pressure required in using your left foot it takes hours of practice to do it properly and still many never develop that skill anymore then every driver is a top footballer..

It was claimed that it was "the safest way to brake" and that is an all encompassing statement not applicable to ALL drivers...

I agree, the safest way for an average driver to brake an auto car, is to use right foot only :)

The safest way to survive Thai traffic is to be extremely alert and train to become better than an average driver :D

I drove convoy VIP in tough third world. Fast and furious. With such skills, Thai roads seem quite safe. Every time I am on the road I tend to draw these drivers that want to show off, but after 2 straight hours of intensive driving, they stop to cool off. That I can do until the fuel blinkers come on.

Good dancers make good drivers, its just co ordination. I have seen some serious good Thai drivers. If you want to feel at home on Thai roads, try training on go kart, seriously, if you master go kart racing, you will find driving here fun.