U.S. recovery team searches in China for American soldiers who died in 1950 plane crash

News_Editor

U.S. recovery team searches in China for American soldiers who died in 1950 plane crash

2011-03-08 13:36:03 GMT+7 (ICT)

BEIJING (BNO NEWS) -- The U.S. Department of Defense on Tuesday said it has sent a specially-trained team to southeast China to search for twelve American soldiers who went missing after their plane crashed in China during the Korean War.

The team of nineteen members from the U.S. Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) arrived in China's Guangdong province in mid-February, JPAC said, although the expedition was not announced until Tuesday.

The recovery team will be searching for human remains, life support items, and other evidence that may lead to the identification of Americans who went missing during the Korean War. Specifically, the team will be searching for twelve American soldiers who are believed to have been killed when their plane crashed in the region.

The Korean War began on June 25, 1950 and lasted until July 27, 1953 when an armistice was signed. It involved South Korea, which had support from the United Nations, and North Korea, which was supported by China.

More than 36,000 Americans were killed in the military conflict, but more than 8,100 American servicemen have not yet been accounted for. JPAC has some 400 boxes in its archives that contain human remains, believed to be containing hundreds of missing soldiers, but most will probably never be identified.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-08

The Korean War began on June 25, 1950 and lasted until July 27, 1953 when an armistice was signed. It involved South Korea, which had support from the United Nations, and North Korea, which was supported by China.

More than 36,000 Americans were killed in the military conflict, but more than 8,100 American servicemen have not yet been accounted for.

Were only American soldiers killed or why are other Nations not mentioned in that short history recap?

More than 36,000 Americans were killed in the military conflict, but more than 8,100 American servicemen have not yet been accounted for.

Were only American soldiers killed or why are other Nations not mentioned in that short history recap?

My guess is because other nations don't care about finding the remains of their war dead. My nation does.

Again...D N F T T

My guess is because other nations don't care about finding the remains of their war dead. My nation does.

Again...D N F T T

My guess would be that your nation obviously cares only about their soldiers, but gives a shit about the dead of other nations. no matter if they were allies, enemies or civilians. these people seems not worth to kept record on.

Where i come from we have similar articles about something that is related to the wars of the last century. Like an article about the birthday or death of the last veteran, that some old bomb was found and had to be defused, or an old air plane found in the swamp, some documents discovered that tell the history little bit different or whatever. Some news that fill up the middle of a newspaper and come up this or similar from time to time and always with a short little history recap just like here, but with one little difference. The total number of the human loss is mentioned, how many civilians were killed and how many soldiers of the main opponents died. I know the total number of war deads from a few wars and i know that such short history recaps in a newspaper article helped me to memorize them when i was a school kid.

How are such articles in USA look like? Is this one a typical one?

If always only the American war deads are mentioned could it left the american readers with some false impressions, like only my nation cares, only my nation counts or only my nation does and all other nations probably do not.

Again...D N F T T

My guess would be that your nation obviously cares only about their soldiers, but gives a shit about the dead of other nations. no matter if they were allies, enemies or civilians. these people seems not worth to kept record on.

Where i come from we have similar articles about something that is related to the wars of the last century. Like an article about the birthday or death of the last veteran, that some old bomb was found and had to be defused, or an old air plane found in the swamp, some documents discovered that tell the history little bit different or whatever. Some news that fill up the middle of a newspaper and come up this or similar from time to time and always with a short little history recap just like here, but with one little difference. The total number of the human loss is mentioned, how many civilians were killed and how many soldiers of the main opponents died. I know the total number of war deads from a few wars and i know that such short history recaps in a newspaper article helped me to memorize them when i was a school kid.

If always only the American war deads are mentioned could it left the american readers with some false impressions, like only my nation cares, only my nation counts or only my nation does and all other nations probably do not.

"Where i come from we have similar articles about something that is related to the wars of the last century."

What country is that?

Again...D N F T T

It is an article about the search for missing Americans from the Korean War. There is no need to list details of all the casualties from each country involved.

chuckd also has a point - very few other countries would bother looking for the remains from an event that happened last year let alone over 60 years ago.

"Where i come from we have similar articles about something that is related to the wars of the last century."

What country is that?

Koheesti:

Do I sense a 'pregnant silence' moment from our newest best friend?? :lol:

The emphasis upon Americans is due to the fact that it is a US search effort and US casualties. Canada has spent millions recovering its WWI war dead in the killing fields of Europe. Australia has sent expeditions into PNG to recover its personnel remains. The Dutch take care of allied forces graves. What's the issue? Is the fact that some countries care and make an effort to provide comfort to families and relatives distressing?

Again...D N F T T

I don't agree with your guess.

But I do hope they find the remains and bring them back for the families to have some finality.

Edited by Wallaby

Again...D N F T T

I don't agree with your guess.

But I do hope they find the remains and bring them back for the families to have some finality.

I presume you are an Aussie and, as such, you were not part of my guess of nations that don't care about their war dead.

I assumed this is a new experience for our new friend so I am further assuming his country is one that falls under the non-caring category.

I met quite a few guys on the JPAC team working Viet Nam a few years ago. They were dedicated professionals performing their duties.

The emphasis upon Americans is due to the fact that it is a US search effort and US casualties. Canada has spent millions recovering its WWI war dead in the killing fields of Europe. Australia has sent expeditions into PNG to recover its personnel remains. The Dutch take care of allied forces graves. What's the issue? Is the fact that some countries care and make an effort to provide comfort to families and relatives distressing?

My point is that this News is constructed of different parts.

First part: The actual news "U.S. recovery team searches in China for American soldiers who died in 1950"

Second part: a short historical recap of the Korean war, a mini time line "The Korean War began on June 25, 1950 and lasted until ...

First part is exchangeable and could be filled up with new news like 'sunken Korean war navy vessel rediscovered' 'Anniversary of this or that battle' whatever.

Second part: could be always reused, take the fresh news from part 1 add our small time line and history recap again and again.

I think i have found an example that makes it maybe easier to understand what i am talking about:

Thailand is deeply divided after more than 90 people died in clashes between the army and demonstrators during rallies by the anti-government "Red Shirts" in April and May last year, its worst political violence in decades.

The mainly rural, working class Reds are broadly loyal to fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a military coup in 2006 and lives overseas to avoid a jail sentence for corruption imposed in absentia.

Have you read that before? I guess yes. Its from AFP and in any news about the Reds, Thaksin, Abhisit,.... at AFP they will using the same text block.

And in the Korean War article i found some timeline information. but was than surprised to see only the figures for American war dead and no total number mentioned.

In my experience some total number/figure is always part of the news, news that are maybe only about one partial aspect of a war, disaster, catastrophe or whatever.

An article about post tsunami reconstructions at a certain beach would also mention the total number of tsunami victims. news about a submarine expedition to the wreck of the titanic would also mention how many people have died and how many survived.

And simply in news about a Korean war topic, i expected to read also something about the total number human loss of this war. 1. IMHO it should be standard part of the history recap block and 2. because i would really like to know that.

Non of you interested or missing such additional information?

My point is that this News is constructed of different parts.

First part: The actual news "U.S. recovery team searches in China for American soldiers who died in 1950"

Second part: a short historical recap of the Korean war, a mini time line "The Korean War began on June 25, 1950 and lasted until ...

First part is exchangeable and could be filled up with new news like 'sunken Korean war navy vessel rediscovered' 'Anniversary of this or that battle' whatever.

Second part: could be always reused, take the fresh news from part 1 add our small time line and history recap again and again.

I think i have found an example that makes it maybe easier to understand what i am talking about:

Thailand is deeply divided after more than 90 people died in clashes between the army and demonstrators during rallies by the anti-government "Red Shirts" in April and May last year, its worst political violence in decades.

The mainly rural, working class Reds are broadly loyal to fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a military coup in 2006 and lives overseas to avoid a jail sentence for corruption imposed in absentia.

Have you read that before? I guess yes. Its from AFP and in any news about the Reds, Thaksin, Abhisit,.... at AFP they will using the same text block.

And in the Korean War article i found some timeline information. but was than surprised to see only the figures for American war dead and no total number mentioned.

In my experience some total number/figure is always part of the news, news that are maybe only about one partial aspect of a war, disaster, catastrophe or whatever.

An article about post tsunami reconstructions at a certain beach would also mention the total number of tsunami victims. news about a submarine expedition to the wreck of the titanic would also mention how many people have died and how many survived.

And simply in news about a Korean war topic, i expected to read also something about the total number human loss of this war. 1. IMHO it should be standard part of the history recap block and 2. because i would really like to know that.

Non of you interested or missing such additional information?

You are a piece of work, that is for sure.

You bitterly complain when others dare mention the Taliban in the thread about NATO forces killing Afghanis, yet you blithely use this thread to write that Americans "give a shit about the dead of other nations" (actually, I am assuming you mean "don't give a shit" given the context of your post), you go into Thai red shirts, how wars are remembered in your home country, and your opinion on how reporters should write articles.

The phrase hypocrisy comes to mind.