Where Do Indian Tailors Order Your Suits ?

tailors make about 80 % mark up on your purchase

where are you based, as i know one factory in BKK that will do what you want, but you need the correct measures, material and the lingo to get the right price

It is true that some tailors will make up to 80% on the suit, actually the biggest cost is the fabric and not the production. Fabrics can be bought from very cheaply (the ones that will fall apart after a couple of uses) to more than $1000 a yard for some of the high end (and genuine) imported ones.

A friend of mine is a Ex Pat from Italy that produces Suits, Shirts etc on a very large scale (several thousand tailor made every month) in Bangkok and has done for several years. If you PM me I will send you his details. I know for a fact (through my own experience!) that he will give you a very fair price for 10 suits (much much cheaper than the "Indian" tailors and using the top producer in Bangkok, not the ones working out of small dirty garages!) and almost more importantly, give you the real facts about the fabric that you will buy, if the one you want is the cheap rubbish, he will tell you!

Going to the factory yourself will require that you know your own measurements (not exactly easy to get right), have the fabric (for which you will get ripped off even buying quite a large quantity, because they will know they can get away with it) and to know the exact quality of stitching/fusing/production that you want. In general, I wouldn't recommend it as being a good idea unless you have a lot of knowledge about tailoring and the suppliers of fabrics here in Thailand.

It's the Indian businessment that have the fabrics, which are the major cost of the suit.

They then take the fabric to local Thai seamstresses to stich the fabric together.

So if you can get your own fabric from the markets and find a seamstress you might be able to do it yourself.

At risk of hot-footing the OT mongers, I remember the years and decades of wearing a 2 or 3 piece suit, dress-shirt and tie to work everyday and having the same always ready for travel ... now it is an event when I wear long pants or socks.

At risk of hot-footing the OT mongers, I remember the years and decades of wearing a 2 or 3 piece suit, dress-shirt and tie to work everyday and having the same always ready for travel ... now it is an event when I wear long pants or socks.

Scruffy bastard!!!!!!:lol:

The 'Indians' are Nepalese (who have a 'special arrangement' with the Thai government re business activities) who are merely fronts who outsource to 'the lowly Thai' (the Nepalese speak English and have Indian mindset re business' - make as much as you can off crap goods).

Go directly to a local Thai tailor (unless you happen to be in HK) and expect the same shoddy work but at a fraction of the Nepalese cost.

Edited by inmysights

There was a documentary on UBC a few months back where they showed the process. A famous tailor in Sukholmvit, they said all sorts of celebs went there.

The measurements were sent uptown to be made into the suit, then they come back for the 1st fitting.. this is where the 'middle man' has his worth, knowing what changes to make.

All seems pretty good value to me.

Who in the world needs 10 suits.. and if so, why be so stingy about cost-cutting?