ATM Transfers To Gangsters 'Can Be Cancelled'

webfact

ATM transfers 'can be cancelled'

By The Nation

30150507-01.jpg

Thirty-nine financial institutions agreed yesterday to let customers duped into wiring money to gangsters via ATMs to contact their call centres to cancel the transfers.

Seehanat Prayoonrat, chief of the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO), said after meeting with the institutions' representatives that the victims often realised they were fooled right after they had transferred the money, while the con artists would take 10-15 minutes to withdraw the money. If the banks were alerted and suspended the transfers in time, the gangs would have less chance of carrying out their criminal deeds, he said.

Police also would investigate how the perpetrators managed to obtain the victims' information.

Police said 205 victims were deceived by people falsely claiming to be AMLO officials, and 56 unwittingly sent Bt15 million to the impostors.

Bangkok Bank and Kasikornbank have reportedly seen the most such transfers, he said, adding that AMLO would interview the victims to get details for prevention and suppression measures so others would not fall prey to the same scams.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-10

Isn't it that why the withdraw the money every day from numerous accounts? To avoid that the money in the accounts is blocked?

In case the money was transferred and they let it sit there and the banks and the justice department it is just another example of incompetence.

This is total, absolute bullshit!

I was defrauded when using my Kasikorn bank web card just last week - I called them immediately to cancel the transaction.

They told me that nothing could be done!!

They asked me to go and fax them a form detailing the fraud, which I did, and they have done exactly zero about it!

Don't believe these useless lying sacks of dog feces. They do not care if you live or die, or if your money gets stolen, or about anything more complex than a fuc_king turnip.

Just thought I might mention this before some idiot gets on here to applaud the move and decry the cynics as Thailand-hate mongers.

Ok I get it. As long as you notice the fraud and notify the bank, 10 to 15 mins after the transaction. Because that is how long it would take the con artists to withdraw the money??? You can get the transaction stopped. Now I really do feel secure. :ph34r:

jb1

Ah but TimeBandit2,

They do say that they came to this momentous decision only yesterday.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

I was defrauded when using my Kasikorn bank web card just last week - I called them immediately to cancel the transaction.

They asked me to go and fax them a form detailing the fraud, which I did, and they have done exactly zero about it!

Wow, I have to applaud these Thai Bankers, really fast action!

1. Last week you (TimeBandit2) had been defrauded,
  2. you obviously complained,
  3. they obviously listened, and
  4. yesterday already they changed the rules in your favor, so from now on you can cancel such transactions.

That was fast!

My opinion about the bankers in Thailand just improved a lot!

Thirty-nine financial institutions agreed yesterday to let customers duped into wiring money to gangsters via ATMs to contact their call centres to cancel the transfers.

SO, let me get this right: This "safety net" as it were, is only available to those who are silly enough to wire money to gansters??

Meanwhile the victims (such as the poster above) who are defrauded through no fault of their own continue to get no grace at all?

unbelievable, :realangry:

Don't believe these useless lying sacks of dog feces. They do not care if you live or die, or if your money gets stolen, or about anything more complex than a fuc_king turnip.

Just thought I might mention this before some idiot gets on here to applaud the move and decry the cynics as Thailand-hate mongers.

Normally the K webcard is for online shopping and payments. I had two cases and both got resolved within days. Normally when you pay with the webcard online the bank witholds the transfer for at least one day before it can be withdrawn. They send you An email and ask you. When you reply within 72 hours from receiving the email they wont deduct from your account. When it longer than three days you can open an dispute, which I did and faxed them my complaint. I got the money dispursed within a week. It takes about 5 working days for this to happen.

You may look at your online banking account statements and you will see a remark "in progress" or "resolved".

Edited by elcent

Normally the K webcard is for online shopping and payments. I had two cases and both got resolved within days. Normally when you pay with the webcard online the bank witholds the transfer for at least one day before it can be withdrawn. They send you An email and ask you. When you reply within 72 hours from receiving the email they wont deduct from your account. When it longer than three days you can open an dispute, which I did and faxed them my complaint. I got the money dispursed within a week. It takes about 5 working days for this to happen.

You may look at your online banking account statements and you will see a remark "in progress" or "resolved".

For my safety, I have the system alert from SCB. If there is any suspicious transaction occurred, there'll be a message delivered to my fone. This silly hoax ain't get any cent out of my purse though. I am not quite happy with 'em but I need 'em

They are really suck charges are on every f*ckin' things they can. Last time, i withdrew some bucks in Pnom Pehn they riffed me off by givin' me very poor exchange rate via an ANZ machine. Eventually, I have no choice.. Just use it... dude.

Too Late...

NEVER Transfer money in a transaction you did not initiate. If you do, you deserve to lose it.

this is bang out of order-please tell me how you can cancel a transaction within 15 minutes--total impossability expecially for farrang who have to ring international call centre,. thai banks are not very helpful with regards to paying customers back.. all transactions should be coverd through your insurance expecially through visa!!!

banks in thailand deserve all they get-its the customer i feel sorry for!!! when i travel to thailand several times a year i have to shop around because this is the only country i have visited where all banks offer different exchange rate also--- couple months ago i went to my thai bank exchange 46.35 -around the corner same bank 47.64

something has to be done with regards to the banking system---thailand is so far behind the times when it comes to banking issues,.

card clonning is a big issue in thailand--back last year several atm machines where false instead of getting money out it just copy the customers details

fleecing their accounts without any knowledge until they recieve a bank statement,. this is a warning for everybody--be very careful when using cards in atm machines expecially in pattaya

Yes I rember the case a few years ago of the guy whos card was stolen and they even had CCTV footage of the thief using it but they didn't do a thing for him and he lost.

How about canceling money transfers to and from gangster politicians, particularly transfers from Thaksin to Pheu Thai party members?

It would be comforting to hear the banks' definition of a "gangster" so that we could all check before sending the money.

I suppose on the new forms there will be an extra question asking you if the beneficiary of the payment is a gangster or not. It would certainly make people think twice, wouldn't it?

Or a Windows-style pop-up at the ATM - "Are you sure that the recipient is not a gangster?" Click Yes to continue....

Or is the word "gangster" here just a poor translation of some Thai word which we should all learn to recognise? (if not use)

Lets face it,the Banks don't give a toss about Foreigners Money,

if they did,then why not introduce a General Policy of not completing this type of ATM Transaction for say 12 hrs,thus allowing ample time for the Account owner to stop payment,on this type of theft.

Too Simple or what?

And the really sad part of money transfers is: how many times have you been told "Your Money transfer will take 2-3 working days" <deleted>!

Edited by MAJIC

For my own education please: How does that fraud thing works? How do they "lure you into transferring money"?

They bullshit you by saying that they are from tax revenue department or a credit card company. Accusing you for owing some bucks to them and then they would say there is an alternative way to sort this out by transferring the money to X000000 account. Otherwise,you would have to pay a large amount of fee for that. Sometimes, they make up some other different stories to make you worry. The important thing is they don't know anything 'bout you and they will try to get as much as information from you while you are on the fone with 'em. Every case will end up at an ATM machine mostly BKK and K Banks cos' these guys are more familiar with the machines from these 2 banks. That's all I know. I hope it can be of help though.

Lets face it,the Banks don't give a toss about Foreigners Money,

if they did,then why not introduce a General Policy of not completing this type of ATM Transaction for say 12 hrs,thus allowing ample time for the Account owner to stop payment,on this type of theft.

Too Simple or what?

And the really sad part of money transfers is: how many times have you been told "Your Money transfer will take 2-3 working days" <deleted>!

Yep.. I agree ... Even make the buffer time 1-2 hours will be able to get back their money..... The procedures of transferring money should be altered.

For my own education please: How does that fraud thing works? How do they "lure you into transferring money"?

Just one example : Caller says he/she is from the Thai Taxation office, and says that you are entitled to a big refund and by electronic transfer it can be in your account within a couple of minutes or you wait for 6 months for a cheque to be processed and mailed.

But to be able to send by electronic transfer you must give the caller the name of your bank, your account no, and your ATM pin number.

HSBC story, I bought some golf balls and the clerk accidently charged me 43000bt. She put int he amount too fast and realized it almost immediately. She did a credit for the same amount gave me that receipt and we started over. A few days past and my statement was not removed from my account. I went to the bank and discussed the situation and showed them my receipt. I had to fill out some sort of claim form and they said if the country club did not dispute my claim in 30 days I would be credited the money!!!!!!!!!!! I was appalled raised hell you name it. I did all of the above. The manger said this is all they can do and since I have the receipt I can fight it if the club does not allow the credit. THEY ALREADY ISSUED A CREDIT.

Good news I got my money back had a good relation with the club so not really worried just appalled and gave me fright that if this had happened with a fraudster.

HSBC story, I bought some golf balls and the clerk accidently charged me 43000bt. She put int he amount too fast and realized it almost immediately. She did a credit for the same amount gave me that receipt and we started over. A few days past and my statement was not removed from my account. I went to the bank and discussed the situation and showed them my receipt. I had to fill out some sort of claim form and they said if the country club did not dispute my claim in 30 days I would be credited the money!!!!!!!!!!! I was appalled raised hell you name it. I did all of the above. The manger said this is all they can do and since I have the receipt I can fight it if the club does not allow the credit. THEY ALREADY ISSUED A CREDIT.

Good news I got my money back had a good relation with the club so not really worried just appalled and gave me fright that if this had happened with a fraudster.

Luckily you could sort it out... Credited to the back then.... She should be more careful when workin' with money..... any mistake can make her lose the job ...

Yes I rember the case a few years ago of the guy whos card was stolen and they even had CCTV footage of the thief using it but they didn't do a thing for him and he lost.

I chased up everything for Bangkok Bank, on advice from a lawyer.Gave atm cd of the crime in progress,also good photos from cd which matched a photo i'd copied from Thai Visa site back in November.Pattaya monkey house have him now.Back in hands of lawyer now as have to make criminal case against fraudster.Bangkok Bank does nothing to help and sympathy.If case proven,the money gets divided up with everyone that has been victimised. I'm not holding my breath.