Where Can I Buy A Banjo In Bkk?

timmyp

I sold my banjo before moving here before to BKK from Japan a couple of months ago, and am now regretting the decision.

Any music stores in BKK that stock 5-string banjos? I don't know of any music stores in BKK, though I found a couple names of bigger instrument stores with a Google search.

Happy to pick up a cheapy Korean model or even Chinese-made one if it's not too bad. I don't want to slap down the cash for a pricey American-made banjo. I've seen some interesting home-made 4-string tenors in Thailand, but I'm after a 5-string. Open back is fine. Let me know if you've seen any around town.

Many thanks--

• 1 month later...

Checked the music stores at Central World, they only have very standard guitar stuff. No banjos, anyway.

I'Ve looked for that banjo player at Chatuchak Market, but haven't found him. Many people have mentioned him to me. Where about is his shop?

I've seen someone who sells a tenor 4-string banjo up in Chiang Mai, but I want a 5-string. I'm pretty surprised I haven't come across a 5-string yet. Really regretting that I sold my banjo before I moved here, assuming I could buy another if I wanted.

Will post if I find a 5-string...

I'Ve looked for that banjo player at Chatuchak Market, but haven't found him. Many people have mentioned him to me. Where about is his shop?

I seem to remember he was somewhere along that main stretch that more or less parallels Phaholyothin. Sorry, I know that's not much help. I'll have a look this weekend and see if I can find him.

The shop in Chatuchak is in Section 12, along the first 'main street' in from Phaholyothin. If you come in from the main entrance on Phaholyothin turn right and keep an ear out for bluegrass music. They sell bluegrass cds and I think cowboy apparel. The guy told me that Khlong Lord, near Sanaam Luang, is the place to go for banjos. He said something about 30,000 baht for a Fender but one would think they'd have cheaper models as well. (He plays a four string Washburn.)

Good luck!

Edited by dekestone

• 1 month later...

I finally went to the designated area and found several banjos!

For those who don't know (as I didn't), there's a strip of music instrument stores along the eastern side of Sanam Luang. All cheap, mostly made-in-China stuff. I tried out a couple of terrible banjos that were unplayable, then came across one for 4000 baht that was passable. It's about as cheaply made as a banjo can be and still be playable. People gathered around and took videos, I guess nobody around there ever plays banjo.

I will probably buy it, still taking a couple days to make the decision. Hell, the banjo is a folk instrument, it was never meant to be fancy...

On another note, I'm still looking for anyone who plays bluegrass or old time, please contact me if you do! Also Scots-Irish music.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bought a banjo! Paid 4000 baht. It's incredibly light, even with the resonator. It's impressively loud and has a good tone for just 4000 baht. Actually, it was the only playable banjo in the four banjos I looked at when I checked out the music instrument stores near Sanam Luang. I think it's an excellent deal for 4000 baht, the instrument makers in China are getting better all the time, the instruments coming out of there isn't the junk it used to be.

Thanks a ton for asking the banjo player over at Catucak and letting me know where I can find a banjo.

So, anybody up for some bluegrass or old-time? Send me a PM! Would be great to get a bluegrass session going in Bangkok, I'm kinda surprised there isn't one already, especially with all the Thai people I see carrying around fiddles.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read.

I play the 4-string tenor banjo myself, self taught n learning the reels n jigs. Im not upto playing much of a performance as yet but about ready for some cross intuition at some stage.

Keep it posted if you find some circuit with whats going on. Im in Rayong but between work and coming back home here, id come upto Bkk for the crack fella

Good luck !

Well, definitely drop me a PM if you're in BKK with your banjo. Would love to get a session going. Recently connected with a whistle player and mandolin player. I'm on guitar, so the addition of a tenor banjo would be great. I really want to get a weekly trad session going in BKK. There are some bands in town that bill themselves as playing Irish music, but it's silly because most of them don't know what a jig or reel is, they only play typical, famous drinking songs. The banjo player of the formerly-local band the Roaring Bhoys knew some tunes, but he's sadly left town.

• 1 year later...

Hi Timmyp

I recently moved to BKK and I'm interested in picking up the Banjo. I'm learning the guitar although I've always wanted to learn the Banjo. Do you have any more updates on Banjo's in BKK, where to buy them etc. And what is the make of the Banjo you purchased?

Are there teachers in BKK or is the internet the best option?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Edited by bkk2323

Hopefully this will help. There are several music instruments stores (at least 5) near Sanamluang. They are all on the same street. They stock cheap to mid-range instruments and equipment. I bought my banjo there. Only a couple stores had banjos, but several stores sell mandolins, accordions, etc. Of course guitars, mics, PAs, drums, all that other stuff.

I have indicated the street with a red line. There are other music instrument dealers in Yaowarat/Chinatown of a similar vain as the stores indicated in the image.

post-120899-0-27012600-1354791061_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks TIMMYP. I followed your instructions and I'm now the proud owner of a Banjo I can't play!!! I've purchased a clawhammer beginners course from Tany Fink online, so hopefully I'll be plucken' and pickin' in no time.

BIGMOUNTAIN, yes there are Mandolins in a few shops.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great topic,thanks fella's,saved me a lot of leg work.

The thai cowboy playing banjo is Thorn Banjo,block 12 at Chatachuk Market,shop is called the cowboy shop.....Band and CD's "BLUEMOUNTAINBOYS"

I was at Checkinn 99 last Saturday ,some American boys out of Saigon were playing there,standing room only,"bloody brilliant"

By the way CHECK INN 99 is between soi 5 and 7 on Sukhumvit opposite LANDMARK HOTEL...

See you round the ridges one day

Al

Great topic,thanks fella's,saved me a lot of leg work.

The thai cowboy playing banjo is Thorn Banjo,block 12 at Chatachuk Market,shop is called the cowboy shop.....Band and CD's "BLUEMOUNTAINBOYS"

I was at Checkinn 99 last Saturday ,some American boys out of Saigon were playing there,standing room only,"bloody brilliant"

By the way CHECK INN 99 is between soi 5 and 7 on Sukhumvit opposite LANDMARK HOTEL...

See you round the ridges one day

Al

Macca It was a Bluegrass and Hillybilly soul night with The Wanderlusters on tour from Vietnam - they played at Apotetik, Pickled Liver and Checkinn99. They will be back in about 6 months

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IhmhDohrzE

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Nice topic, I'm a banjo player in Bangkok. Not great but been playing for about a year and can hold my fair share of tunes. I mainly play claw hammer, I would love to meet any teachers there are out there and also happy to pass on what I have already learned to any new players out there. Im also a guitar player. I'm not interested in money, just a laugh a beer and a bit of banjo. Any questions related to banjos and stuff are also welcome.

• 6 months later...

Finally bought a banjo! Paid 4000 baht. It's incredibly light, even with the resonator. It's impressively loud and has a good tone for just 4000 baht. Actually, it was the only playable banjo in the four banjos I looked at when I checked out the music instrument stores near Sanam Luang. I think it's an excellent deal for 4000 baht, the instrument makers in China are getting better all the time, the instruments coming out of there isn't the junk it used to be.

Thanks a ton for asking the banjo player over at Catucak and letting me know where I can find a banjo.

So, anybody up for some bluegrass or old-time? Send me a PM! Would be great to get a bluegrass session going in Bangkok, I'm kinda surprised there isn't one already, especially with all the Thai people I see carrying around fiddles.

yo, sorry for this thread resurrection, I would love it if someone would be able to assist me in finding a good sounding banjo, i have never played one and would love to start.. I don't know which ones are better and whatnot but a good one would defininitely a good start.. send me a pm.

I heard also that there might be some in hua hin.. I can't recall the name of the shop but i am useless at finding a good one anyways and would need someone who knows about them.

thanks for the help!

Hi all. Nice topic, I'm a banjo player in Bangkok. Not great but been playing for about a year and can hold my fair share of tunes. I mainly play claw hammer, I would love to meet any teachers there are out there and also happy to pass on what I have already learned to any new players out there. Im also a guitar player. I'm not interested in money, just a laugh a beer and a bit of banjo. Any questions related to banjos and stuff are also welcome.

I live in Pai and just took out my banjo for the first time in many years. It is a 1976 (76xxx) Gold Star archtop (Yes, one of the originals made by the famous luthier "Sumi") I am in need of a new Remo or 5 Star 11" medium or low crown frosted head. Also, a 5th string bone nut. Does anyone know of a music shop in Chiang mai, or one in BKK that will mail order them?

Due to the humidity here, my banjo could also use a re-chroming of all the metal parts, since I would like to keep the originals. Anyone know someone who re-chromes?