Vat Refund

Generally all shops will give you the 5% tourist discount (some more - the Discovery discount card does even more) just for asking - sometimes they want to see the card which one gets easily in the info counter in the malls.

Also; VAT refund has never been a problem either - but in theory both discounts should only be given if you are here on stamp on arrival or a tourist visa should it not?

On the other hand one can be here a lot on a non-em B visa based on "lookig for investments" and a sponsor letter from company. That does not make one a resident... But on the other hand one is ALSO not a tourist....

Just wondering....

Cheers!

Generally all shops will give you the 5% tourist discount (some more - the Discovery discount card does even more) just for asking - sometimes they want to see the card which one gets easily in the info counter in the malls.

Also; VAT refund has never been a problem either - but in theory both discounts should only be given if you are here on stamp on arrival or a tourist visa should it not?

On the other hand one can be here a lot on a non-em B visa based on "lookig for investments" and a sponsor letter from company. That does not make one a resident... But on the other hand one is ALSO not a tourist....

Just wondering....

Cheers!

Emporium dept store gave me a 5% discount on baby gear, asked for my passport and copied it.

VAT refund at Don Muang is a pain. Go here, go there, photocopy passport, queue here...not worth the effort.

If you crossed the border, a special ticket to get back and sort it out. Did it just for experience. Bloody Jim Thompson ties I bought.

What the ###### can one buy in Thailand worth more than 10-15US$ refund with all the hassles?

Well it HAS become easier than it was in the old days I think. Same procedure is in my European home country: go to customs office with forms from shop and be prepared to show the goods. Get the stamp. Present the stamped docs at the VAT refund office after emmigration.

Do not recall giving ANY copies of passport (that includes Emporium where I just wrote the PP no. from memory) they might have taken one at the VAT refund desk themselves, but it annoys the crap out of me that they retain the original invoices! Accountants wants the original for later settlements and so does the service shop if one needs to use the warranties.

That said; any comments on my original question?

Cheers!

[What the ###### can one buy in Thailand worth more than 10-15US$ refund with all the hassles?

Well the 400k baht Rolex watch :o I bought for my wife’s birthday a couple years ago gave a nice refund when went through airport on the way back to China...

Like other poster says, went to custom counter, they looked at the watch, looked at the VAT refund slip, stamped it and after Immigration collected the refund. All together about 15 minutes

TH

[What the ###### can one buy in Thailand worth more than 10-15US$ refund with all the hassles?

Well the 400k baht Rolex watch

I'm not in that sphere. :o

The guy who sold me 8 Rolexes lowered their price down to 350B each and gave me spare batteries and no VAT refund receipt :D

One is still with me, sitting at the bottom of my screen, still showing correct time.

All I drag from BKK to Japan are disposable bowls, plates and cuttlery, a pile that takes up half a suitcase cost 30$ altogether.

I do not see what visa you have has to do with VAT refunds, in any country goods that are exported by foreigners permanently are VAT free and the VAT refund is just one way of achieving this.

Is one likely to be a permanent resident?

Edited by spacebass

That might be a valid point spacebass. But live in Thailand more than 6 months in 1 calender year and you are taxable on both foreign (brought in same year) and local income. I know I am mixing things up a bit - but income taxes and VAT seems partly related.

Cheers!

Hey, today I had a tourist asking me to give him a vat refund. First time I encountered it, he showed me some form of a department store mentioning the tourist should ask the shop to fill in a thai tax form.

I would be happy to refund vat to tourists rather to transfer it to the RD. Does someone know the procedure?

Hey, today I had a tourist asking me to give him a vat refund. First time I encountered it, he showed me some form of a department store mentioning the tourist should ask the shop to fill in a thai tax form.

I would be happy to refund vat to tourists rather to transfer it to the RD. Does someone know the procedure?

VAT is refunded at the point of departure from Thailand by a the government agency, there must be a form you can get from the VAT office that you fill in for the purchaser

who then presents it with goods the the agency when departing and gets his VAT refunded. Tesco Lotus and Big C both have big boards around with the basic parameters explained.

VAT is refunded at the point of departure from Thailand by a the government agency, there must be a form you can get from the VAT office that you fill in for the purchaser

who then presents it with goods the the agency when departing and gets his VAT refunded. Tesco Lotus and Big C both have big boards around with the basic parameters explained.

So, I just charge the vat as I would from any other customer, have him fill this form (save a copy?). Should I then pass this form to the Revenue Department? And who really qualifies - should I check their passport?

The type of visa should not be such an issue. More important, you must be a tourist and the goods must be taken out of the country within 60 days of purchase.

This link might help a bit more:

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/who.html#link01

As for being able to issue the forms, the shops must be accepted by the Thai authorities and allowed to displaying the "VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS" sign.