Greek Gyros At Tesco...

Michaelaway

Looks like Gyros King is going to open April 1st, at Tesco... exciting! Man, I could go for a Gyros plate with some good Tzatziki drizzled on, and a Greek salad with olives, feta, etc. (Hey, King: Are souvlaki, pastitsio, moussaka, avgolemono, spanakopita... too much to hope for?)

Yasou, philos!

B)

post-72929-0-26251200-1299985674_thumb.j

I think it's the gyros from Carrefour. Last Monday I was there and it's gone allready!!

Now in Carrefour are only Kebab/Doener avaible!!!

The Carrefour Gyrosshop only saled Pan-Gyros not the real BBQ-Gyros.

Tzaziki you can make very easy self. It's not the real one but the best what you can get "cheap" in Thailand:

Buy a pack of natural yogurt and mix some pressed garlic inside. Thats all!!! ;-)

But ... you must find your optimal natural yogurt self. It give different companies with different taste. Some more sweet then the other. The price for a pack (4 pieces) is between 39 -48 Baht.

for the records:

tsasiki: yoghurt mixed with salt, lime juice, and lots of garlic. Use only the yoghurt from foodland with the red screw cover or as substitute the yoghurt with a white/blue plastic box. Never ever use any sweetened yogurt!!

Gyros: from "γύρος" = "turning". So if there is nothing that turns, it is not gyros, as simple as it is. If your stomach turns, it doesn't count. Substitute: take a large slab of pork, slice it into 0.5 cm thick slices, put some onions, garlic (!!), oregano, salt, pepper whatever else on the layers, tie it together. 1.5 hours in the oven et voilá!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's the gyros from Carrefour. Last Monday I was there and it's gone allready!!

<snip>

And wasn't the owner German?

Edit: 1 week to go and still no location?

Edited by PattayaParent

Seems to me the owner of the new Gyros King at Tesco is not a TV reader. So close to his advertised opening day, and only saw the one classified ad; no follow up at all. Clearly, he hasn't seen or been told about the gyros chatterbuzz here on TV. Anyways, as the days wind down towards April 1st, I will again apologize for not knowing which Tesco... but, I'm thinking Sukhumvit Rd, South Pattaya. Yasssou!

B)

GYROS KING, starting on April 1..

The new location is in TESCO LOTUS NORTH ROAD in Food center (right side on the windows). Need not cash card, it's cash only.

And yes, the same as in Carrefour with the (small) different to prepare the Gyros now with an turning grill.

Edited by Rimmer
Commercial content edited out

GYROS KING, starting on April 1..

The new location is in TESCO LOTUS NORTH ROAD in Food center (right side on the windows). Need not cash card, it's cash only.

And yes, the same as in Carrefour with the (small) different to prepare the Gyros now with an turning grill.

"... but, I'm thinking Sukhumvit Rd, South Pattaya. Yasssou!"

Ok, now I'm definitely thinking Pattaya Nua. Thanks & good luck to Gyros King/Siam Milk guy. Intuitive and helpful moderating from Mr. Murray~

B)

for the records:

tsasiki: yoghurt mixed with salt, lime juice, and lots of garlic. Use only the yoghurt from foodland with the red screw cover or as substitute the yoghurt with a white/blue plastic box. Never ever use any sweetened yogurt!!

Gyros: from "γύρος" = "turning". So if there is nothing that turns, it is not gyros, as simple as it is. If your stomach turns, it doesn't count. Substitute: take a large slab of pork, slice it into 0.5 cm thick slices, put some onions, garlic (!!), oregano, salt, pepper whatever else on the layers, tie it together. 1.5 hours in the oven et voilá!

Now you've made me hungry for a good gyro! Maybe that's something we will have to try at one of our BBQs????? Seems you know how to make them! ;)

Looking at the ad picture it looks like the same meat they use in the kabobs here in thailand. Not sure if the meat in america is authentic or not but it is good. I have my doubts it will be the same meat as i am guessing no one would want to pay the price. In the usa between $6-8 (180-240baht) a sandwich. I also have never seen gyro style pita bread in thailand which is thicker and fluffier then the pitas the kabobers are peddling..

Looking at the ad picture it looks like the same meat they use in the kabobs here in thailand. Not sure if the meat in america is authentic or not but it is good. I have my doubts it will be the same meat as i am guessing no one would want to pay the price. In the usa between $6-8 (180-240baht) a sandwich. I also have never seen gyro style pita bread in thailand which is thicker and fluffier then the pitas the kabobers are peddling..

Y99,

The meat use for Gyros, authentically, is lamb. That's what I've always eaten in America- lamb gyros. Here, they always use pork, which is much cheaper and more readily available than lamb. Pork gyros can be delicious, too. The seasonings are crucial! Re: the pita bread- it is what it is, I guess. No big deal for me. Good luck to the Gyros King!

B)

Tzaziki you can make very easy self. It's not the real one but the best what you can get "cheap" in Thailand:

Buy a pack of natural yogurt and mix some pressed garlic inside. Thats all!!! ;-)

But ... you must find your optimal natural yogurt self. It give different companies with different taste. Some more sweet then the other. The price for a pack (4 pieces) is between 39 -48 Baht.

i always add skined, diced cucumber to tzaziki

for the records:

Now you've made me hungry for a good gyro! Maybe that's something we will have to try at one of our BBQs????? Seems you know how to make them! ;)

can certainly be arranged...rolleyes.gif

for the records:

can certainly be arranged...rolleyes.gif

Count me in too!

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it's April 6th and they're been open for 5 days now. I have to admit, that being in North Pattaya, I haven't been over there to try ouy the new Gyros King yet... ANY REPORTS??

B)

Have looked so many times but it aint there...another business burned befor it was off the ground

Ok, it's April 6th and they're been open for 5 days now. I have to admit, that being in North Pattaya, I haven't been over there to try ouy the new Gyros King yet... ANY REPORTS??

B)

Have looked so many times but it aint there...another business burned befor it was off the ground

Has anyone found it or been there....would love to try one if it exists

• 6 months later...

B)

Has anyone found it or been there....would love to try one if it exists

Why is it so hard to open a gyro place here? They are all over the USA. Simple concept and great sandwich. We already have all of the "kebob" places (too many to count). But not one gyro place. Please open one in Jomtien. Thanks.