Why Do Expats Wear Shorts In Thailand

Semper

This thread is just another example of how so many people need the context of a thread spelled out to them.

Let's try this:

IT IS A TONGUE IN CHEEK TOPIC

Wonder if that worked.

Some members just don't get it. :lol:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than for work or a date, why would you want to wear pants?

Downrange everyone wears shorts.

Well, pants protects your legs from the sun and heat. Why do people use the dark plastic thing on their car windows :rolleyes:

I'm convinced some farangs are heat-treated in order to withstand sun-burn despite being white-skinned. That's probably why shorts are the 'trendy' thing they are in some farang circles.

I can tell you that in towns and city's farangs who where shorts are seen in a different light to farang's who 'cover-up.'

I traipse about in the countryside a lot and wearing long-pants isn't just good practice (heatwise) it's essential unless you want to be bitten and nibbled on by the local insect-life, snakes and god knows what else is in the jungle etc... :)

So here is one poster who understood my OP. :)

Really? Why was it that you failed so miserably to make that distinction in the OP then? Of course it is not very likely that an expat who has been here any length of time and was on an excursion in the wild would wear shorts, with the exception of maybe Ian that is..

Semper

I tip my hat to you, you actually have people arguing about shorts. I am truly impressed and wish I could take the credit for this thread myself.

What's even more amusing is that going through this thread, several posters have pointed out the nature of this thread bit still many people just can't see it.

Bravo.

Actually myself I had only made a couple of quick quips about the trolling nature of it until my current post in which I had to call into question his moving of the goal posts..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I really hope thats one of those fair ground mirror images. PLEASE say yes it is. :huh:

It's actually a photoshop job I did on myself for a diet topic on another forum. I won't make fun of other people, but I don't mind making fun of myself if it gets a few laughs. The diet topic was why is it that when people diet that they lose weight everywhere BUT the part of the body they most want to lose it. Women on diets lose their boobs but their butts and thighs stay the same. Men lose weight off their face but their belly stays the same. I tried to make my belly as big as possible but it's hard to do if you have a flat stomach.

I never wear shorts outside the beach area or gym.

The reason for this is I feel more comfortable . Besides I hate to show my naked legs in public.

And if you are like me, if you put your feet up, you get laundry hung on them.

Its a way of life, I wear long shorts/polo and steel caps to work, in a social enviroment I wear long shorts/t-shirt and surfer joe thongs, hell will freeeze over before you see me in long pants.

I'm with you Spoonman,surfer joes, way to go,Thais laugh at them every day.

congratulations,this is the stupidest post ever,in all the history of thaivisa,well done

I thought the thread-starter had the crown, until you came along.

THere's always someone got to go one better, eh?

Oh the irony of it...

SC

For the Americans amongst us, this is sarcasm, that was irony

EDIT: Tell me I'm still welcome now, IanF!

Edited by StreetCowboy

Its a way of life, I wear long shorts/polo and steel caps to work, in a social enviroment I wear long shorts/t-shirt and surfer joe thongs, hell will freeeze over before you see me in long pants.

May I ask why. :)

Not sure I want to know :o

IanF (from the Pub 'Shark' topic yesterday) I can back up everything I say and I never hide behind anonymity ... Of course not! How could you post all these pictures of yourself if you were hiding behind anonymity ... with the links to your website no less? BTW I'd like to see those 'back up' pictures of you holding all those prize babes you've landed whilst down on one knee like you hold all of those prize fish.

Cant afford to buy the long one? or could be hot weather or both? or could be fashion farang style (must) flip flop,shorts and t-shirt short sleeve with bangkokpost in their hands drinking black coffee with the cigarette in their hands hangout with dark and short skinny thai lady LOL well not my BF tho! doesnt matter how hot it is but he likes to wear jean and trainers just like my dad he doesnt wear shorts and flip flop outside home too.

IanF (from the Pub 'Shark' topic yesterday) I can back up everything I say and I never hide behind anonymity ... Of course not! How could you post all these pictures of yourself if you were hiding behind anonymity ... with the links to your website no less? BTW I'd like to see those 'back up' pictures of you holding all those prize babes you've landed whilst down on one knee like you hold all of those prize fish.

That really DOES bother you, doesn't it, Jazz.. And what does your remark have to do with this topic?

Today I noticed a few farangs wandering around, looking disgusting in their shorts.

Of course I was wearing a white button up and black slacks like every man should wear.

I approached them and told them they where shameless and offending all Thai people.

While they took turns thrashing me about, it dawned on me. Perhaps it would be better if I didn't care so much about feeling better than other people.

It sure would have hurt less.

Edited by mstribling

Do l sense a bit of envy or jealousy here, hmmmm. :D

Today I noticed a few farangs wandering around, looking disgusting in their shorts.

Of course I was wearing a white button up and black slacks like every man should wear.

I approached them and told them they where shameless and offending all Thai people.

While they took turns thrashing me about, it dawned on me. Perhaps it would be better if I didn't care so much about feeling better than other people.

It sure would have hurt less.

They probably mistook you for a mormon.

I'm always surprised how badly people take helpful advice and spiritual assistance

SC