Wifi Cafes Hua Hin

nikster

Anybody know places with free or reasonably priced WiFi in HH? Reasonably priced would be 30bht/hour or something like that.

Are there any student places in HH?

Looking for a place to spend a a few hours per day working on laptop. I have my own mobile internet but I'd prefer FAST WiFi as my hotel only offers AIS 3G which is slower than my own True 3G...

Would appreciate any and all tips, thanks!

Nothing in Bon Gai. I was looking for a cafe not an Internet/game place.

True cafe on the main road is ok. It's a bit dead but good coffee and free fast internet (10mbit). I saw a couple of others too. Don't think sbucks has free Internet. Usually they offer it for 150/hour, and it's pretty slow too.

True cafe on the main road is ok. It's a bit dead but good coffee and free fast internet (10mbit). I saw a couple of others too. Don't think sbucks has free Internet. Usually they offer it for 150/hour, and it's pretty slow too.

I was talking about hitting a cafe and loging on to a prepaid hotspots, I can get pretty fast internet for like 10bht an hour in Bon Gai just from the hotspots on the main road. The cafes are a lot closer, I think it's sunshine gaming shops with the hotspots.

I was talking about hitting a cafe and loging on to a prepaid hotspots, I can get pretty fast internet for like 10bht an hour in Bon Gai just from the hotspots on the main road. The cafes are a lot closer, I think it's sunshine gaming shops with the hotspots.

Ahhhh prepaid hotspots - I guess that's how it's done in HH. Where do I get a card? Do I even need a card? Thanks!

I've never tried it but I thought Hua Hin was supposed to have free wifi all over downtown provided by the city. I've seen signs on the street that say "wifi spot".

There is a free service called Hua Hin City Wide but it only works near the centre of town and then they ask you for a ID card number or similar - I think you can make one up providing you get the correct format.

When I need to use the internet outside I generally go to one of the bars - there are a couple in Soi 80 - they are usually empty so you can use the free wifi as long as you buy a drink - Down town El Murphys has free wifi which is quick - again usually emptyish during the day and big tables where you can spread your stuff out - still need to buy a drink though!

FWIW I find Sunshine and HH Citywide totally useless. Tried both just now, both provide a "barely working" internet experience. Futzed around with them for 20 minutes before I gave up. You know it's bad when the speedtest.net takes so long to load you lose all interest in running the speed test...

True 3G iPhone tethering is way faster.

There is a free service called Hua Hin City Wide but it only works near the centre of town and then they ask you for a ID card number or similar - I think you can make one up providing you get the correct format.

Last year (January 2010) when I was in Hua Hin, I sent an SMS to receive a free username/password for the Hua Hin City Wide service, but this year (last week) my SMS went unanswered.

How/where does one register for the Hua Hin City Wide service these days? I did see the signal listed on the list of WiFi providers in many parts of town on my iPhone when I was in Hua Hin this past week.

Last year (January 2010) when I was in Hua Hin, I sent an SMS to receive a free username/password for the Hua Hin City Wide service, but this year (last week) my SMS went unanswered.

How/where does one register for the Hua Hin City Wide service these days? I did see the signal listed on the list of WiFi providers in many parts of town on my iPhone when I was in Hua Hin this past week.

The SMS thing worked fine for me. I got an answer within a minute or so, with user name and password. That bit worked fine. But once online I found the internet to be super slow. Too slow for me to be usable, and way slower than True3G....

• 7 months later...

I found this old thread that mentions True Coffee on Petchkasem Road, so I thought I'd post this message here.

I've come to True twice now, the first time was last week and also today to use the Internet. In both cases I've experienced a connectivity issue with their gateway not responding and not being assigned an IP address, and in each case after a prolonged effort trying to get them to sort it out they rebooted the router and hey presto - everything works. Today it took around 30 minutes from entering the coffee shop to actually being able to connect to the Internet.

The annoying thing is trying to explain to non technical people what the issue might be, and that the simplest and quickest recourse is simply to reset the router and see what happens (because as we all know, rebooting usually solves 90% of problems he he he).

Instead of listening to you they think they can fix it by checking your computer's settings, which might be a suitable strategy to help someone that has no clue about computers, but when I'm clearly sat here telling and showing them where the issue might lie, you'd think they would take it onboard.

As an IT professional it seems absurd that the True internet cofee shop staff have no idea about the Internet, which might be excusable if the whole premise of the business wasn't that you can enjoy a coffee while connecting to the Internet (which appears to be 10 Mbps here).

I for one won't be going back to this Internet coffee again! On a happier note, the coffee was great and there was plenty of eye candy to look at.

As an IT professional it seems absurd that the True internet cofee shop staff have no idea about the Internet, which might be excusable if the whole premise of the business wasn't that you can enjoy a coffee while connecting to the Internet (which appears to be 10 Mbps here).

I for one won't be going back to this Internet coffee again! On a happier note, the coffee was great and there was plenty of eye candy to look at.

It may seem absurd to you but to have any kind of Staff with the first idea about IT in Thailand, they'd have to pay more for them than those who just serve Coffee who double up as " eye candy "..wink.gif

It may seem absurd to you but to have any kind of Staff with the first idea about IT in Thailand, they'd have to pay more for them than those who just serve Coffee who double up as " eye candy "..wink.gif

Good point. Well in the end it all worked out. I will give them one more chance as it's a nice place to hang out. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

does Bar Tender have aircon, or at least decent fans? hard to type with sticky fingers....I can go there and hang out, buy a couple of coffees. Incidentally they do amazing noodle soup next door to Bar Tender. I went the other day to investigate joining the gym next door and stopped for soup and a salad - very lovely food actually.

Yes, that second floor at Best Beans is like being in someone's comfortable living room... very nice, and it has a/c but as stated to use the room and the a/c you would have to buy something. Food and drinks are good quality and pretty cheap there so that shouldn't be a problem.

OK I'll go there next time. Went to True again today and the internet was ok. The aircon was on too strong and it was freezing. Best Beans next time...lovely burgers yes! good news about the aircon. If I am to spend several hours there it has to be a nice temperature!

Yes, that second floor at Best Beans is like being in someone's comfortable living room... very nice, and it has a/c but as stated to use the room and the a/c you would have to buy something. Food and drinks are good quality and pretty cheap there so that shouldn't be a problem.

Whereabouts is this place "Best Beans", I am in Takiab once a week. :rolleyes:

It's in that 4 or 5 story building directly south of Cicada market. It's in the far corner from Cicada or one block south... has a big beer garden wooden deck outside and a little air conditioned "order at the counter" deli style room inside with a few small tables and then the upstairs area for relaxing. It's American owned and has good burgers (beef or chicken) and salads among other things.

• 3 months later...

In HH once again... yeah True internet has the best internet, and it's free, but to me the place is unbearable thanks to music that's as loud as it is horrible - the worst kind of soft pop - they haven't changed the CD since I was there a year ago... I have noise canceling headphones but I really need to crank it up to overcome the too-loud stereo at True.

On the plus side, the coffee is good by Hua Hin standards, and it's always empty.

Will try best beans, was there once already and they seem to have a great food / drink menu...