Green Cobra Visit

zulugutt

Yesterday our maid alarmed me, telling there was a big cobra in the pump room for the pool. Since I not long time ago read a story in Phuket Gazette about a guy in Chalong that had an unvanted cobra-visit in his house, and he got help from "snake-rescue" in Chalong, I deceided to call them since I'm located in Kata.

It didn't take more than 20 minutes before 3 young men were here in their rescue-car, and after a few minutes, the 1,3 meter long green cobra were taken very well care of, and will probably be released into wilderness hopefully far from my house.

My neighbors said this snake show was "cool".

I really hate snakes, and have to admit that the baby cobra I found last year in my garage got a more permanent destiny.

But anyone that need snake-rescue should write down phonenumber 076-283 3467. These guys were great!

post-80948-0-26426000-1300290185_thumb.j

I really do hope these guys release the little bastard in a safe area.

I do not always trust locals when they say one thing. If they say the sky is blue, I have to get my lazy ass off my chair, put my french fries on the table, straighten my wedgie out, pick my teeth, and slowly, hurtingly and grumpily walk towards the window to see if it is indeed blue.

We are encroaching on their (the snakes) habitat, after all. Some humanity must be shown.

I do not always trust locals when they say one thing. If they say the sky is blue, I have to get my lazy ass off my chair, put my french fries on the table, straighten my wedgie out, pick my teeth, and slowly, hurtingly and grumpily walk towards the window to see if it is indeed blue.

We are encroaching on their (the snakes) habitat, after all. Some humanity must be shown.

learned your lessons well!

some still wonder why?

:whistling:

I've been trained as a (non-venomous at this stage) snake handler in Oz. That said, cobras are probably like our snakes and, not having much brain, tend to have their own very limited home range. They know where the food is, where the water is and, most of the time, where those dratted humans are hanging out. They occasionally make mistakes and we cross paths. That's when they ring me on the wildlife Hotline. Usually a Sunday morning, when they are home from work and the snake doesn't have a calendar. My first response, on finding out it's a fairly large snake, it to remind the caller that it has lived in that area for YEARS and successfully evaded being spotted.

Then I tell the caller, by then totally bored rigid, the story of my idiot neighbour who killed 23 brown snakes one summer. [For the uninitiated, these are extremely venemous snakes, but almost exclusively bite men with hoes in their hands who are attempting to kill them] The first one he killed was his worst mistake. The rest would have been young newcomers trying out a new vacant territory and highly anxious about it all. They didn't know his habits, so didn't get out of the way before he saw them.

Moving snakes out of their territory is a death sentence. A cobra's territory? Wouldn't have the faintest idea. However, here in Oz we are only allowed to relocate them within 100m. This is based on research into thieir habits. Yes, there are PhD students who LOVE snakes. We used to relocate them further away, but found to our dismay that we were condemning these amazing animals to a slow death.

Thank you to all those who contributed to this thread with a positive attitude. Yes, they are scary, but we DO live in their territory. Same goes for those HUGE spiders people here get so frantic about.

What a great bunch of young guys coming so quickly. In Oz, professional snake catchers tend to charge about $200...

I've been trained as a (non-venomous at this stage) snake handler in Oz. That said, cobras are probably like our snakes and, not having much brain, tend to have their own very limited home range. They know where the food is, where the water is and, most of the time, where those dratted humans are hanging out. They occasionally make mistakes and we cross paths. That's when they ring me on the wildlife Hotline. Usually a Sunday morning, when they are home from work and the snake doesn't have a calendar. My first response, on finding out it's a fairly large snake, it to remind the caller that it has lived in that area for YEARS and successfully evaded being spotted.

Then I tell the caller, by then totally bored rigid, the story of my idiot neighbour who killed 23 brown snakes one summer. [For the uninitiated, these are extremely venemous snakes, but almost exclusively bite men with hoes in their hands who are attempting to kill them] The first one he killed was his worst mistake. The rest would have been young newcomers trying out a new vacant territory and highly anxious about it all. They didn't know his habits, so didn't get out of the way before he saw them.

Moving snakes out of their territory is a death sentence. A cobra's territory? Wouldn't have the faintest idea. However, here in Oz we are only allowed to relocate them within 100m. This is based on research into thieir habits. Yes, there are PhD students who LOVE snakes. We used to relocate them further away, but found to our dismay that we were condemning these amazing animals to a slow death.

Thank you to all those who contributed to this thread with a positive attitude. Yes, they are scary, but we DO live in their territory. Same goes for those HUGE spiders people here get so frantic about.

What a great bunch of young guys coming so quickly. In Oz, professional snake catchers tend to charge about $200...

So it is much better to keep the cobra alive in his own habitat so it can play with your children?

So it is much better to keep the cobra alive in his own habitat so it can play with your children?

I have heard cobra bites kills a human in 15-20 minutes. Is this a fact?

You have my vote for the most endearing message board post (not just this board) of the month. :jap:

You have my vote for the most endearing message board post (not just this board) of the month. :jap:

Lol

It makes me wonder why some people stay here :blink:

Edited by FritsSikkink

You killed a baby cobra? Why? What did it do to you? You're the one that moved into it's habitat. :annoyed:

Well, at that time I had my one year old son on my arm when I entered the garage, and I got terrified (mostly for him), so I did the only thing that I could think of, and killed it. Since this was one year ago, I didn't know about "snake rescue" in Chalong, otherwise I would of course have called them.

You killed a baby cobra? Why? What did it do to you? You're the one that moved into it's habitat. :annoyed:

Well, at that time I had my one year old son on my arm when I entered the garage, and I got terrified (mostly for him), so I did the only thing that I could think of, and killed it. Since this was one year ago, I didn't know about "snake rescue" in Chalong, otherwise I would of course have called them.

I am guilty too. One was hiding in my shoe in my hallway.

Dont know how old a baby cobra is, but since I have lived here for years and its all covered with concrete, I d say snake comes to my territory. But my maid disliked the killing and has since not notified me of any snakes, just quietly removed them.

They should be better off in the forest or in the mountains, not here where paradise is all paved

It's the baby cobra that you have to be especially wary of.

Adult cobra, knowing that you are not prey will try to avoid wasting their venom on you if they bite.

They are capable of giving you a dry-bite (no venom injected), or, just a token amount of venom.

Baby cobra haven't learnt this yet and when they bite, they give you all the venom they can.

Because of this phenomenon, it was believed that baby cobra venom was actually more potent than adult cobra venom. It isn't, just the amount delivered.

Yes, sounds like the situation in Oz. Vast majority of snake bites are not envenomated, just a 'bugger off' sort of response.

Don't know about cobra antivenene, but it's probably horrendously expensive. I remember a TV programme by Steve Irwin about the large numbers of cobra bites (and deaths) in the tea plantations in Sri Lanka. Mainly because of how the bushes are trimmed so you can't see what's on the ground and the workers are barefooted...

I seriously doubt that cobras are going to attack your kids. More likely to head in the opposite direction. First aid for all snake bites is to wrap the limb from toes or fingers upwards with an elastic bandage. Keep the patient still and quiet. Don't wash the wound or cut it or any of the old fashioned stuff.

Do we all have elastic bandages in our first aid kit?

I'm only feeling smug because I bought a couple the other day...

Zulugutt...is that the right phone number...it appears to one two many digits in it...Cheers

The number is like I found it in Phuket Gazette, and dialed myself, but I think you are right and that there is one digit to many. I think the correct would be 076-283 346 or 076-283 347, but thais often write 076-283 346-7.