Rates For Software Developers / Managers

richardr

We're a software company based in the UK with about 19 staff.

I'm looking at setting up a software development company in Bangkok through BOI and will be looking for the following types of role

Development manager

Software developers (senior, mid-range and junior)

Software testers

We'll probably start off with around 5 members of staff and grow the numbers as we push more work over to Bangkok. I'm currently trying to establish rates of pay for each of the roles but I'm finding it difficult as most jobs advertised on the various Thai job websites don't show salary.

I've been given some figures from a friend in Bangkok who runs a small software company who pays his software guys between 24,000 to 29,000 baht a month. I'm wondering if these figures are correct and if anyone has any experience of pay rates for the other roles we'll be needing?

Thanks!

Richard

@richardr

Hello, i assume those rates are for Thai citizens right? Actually can't be anyhting else because they are very very low.

It depends of course on what entry skills you require and many other things. So hard to make a global statement on this. If you get a sowtware developer for those rates i guess you very lucky. Good developers are earning everywhere good money usually even if the other salary rates in the country are low. Depends as i said on a lot of factors which i do not know.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Morpheus

@richardr

Hello, i assume those rates are for Thai citizens right? Actually can't be anyhting else because they are very very low.

Yes those are they rates he's paying his Thai software developers. That's why I'm asking around as I don't want to base my assumptions on one opinion. I'm looking for developers with skills in Microsoft .NET and C#, business software, not games. Looking on the BOI website, they state a software developer with 2-3 years experience can earn between 28,000 - 35,000 baht. Would this seem about right?

Thanks

Rich

@richardr

Yes those are they rates he's paying his Thai software developers. That's why I'm asking around as I don't want to base my assumptions on one opinion. I'm looking for developers with skills in Microsoft .NET and C#, business software, not games. Looking on the BOI website, they state a software developer with 2-3 years experience can earn between 28,000 - 35,000 baht. Would this seem about right?

Thanks

Rich

I guess you are quite good with that. I am sure a lot of the expats here can say more about it. For sure a lot maybe work in nerd/geek sector or at least have experiences about local salaries.

Wish you look to get a good one and for future business.

Man, just had a look at the BOI site, glad i work IT in Europe :ph34r:

Cheers,

Morpheus

Edited by Morpheus73

If you not only want employees but actually work get done i would suggest to hire at least one foreigner that is up to speed with western business practices.

Expect to pay at least 100k or higher for that.

If not then you have a high risk of work being done very slow and/or not to spec at all.

My experience is that Thais in computer work are not bad but need a lot of guidance and someone that is looking over their shoulder all the time. The only exceptions are the ones that do art work.

If you not only want employees but actually work get done i would suggest to hire at least one foreigner that is up to speed with western business practices.

If not then you have a high risk of work being done very slow and/or not to spec at all.

My experience is that Thais in computer work are not bad but need a lot of guidance and someone that is looking over their shoulder all the time. The only exceptions are the ones that do art work.

"hire at least one foreigner that is up to speed with western business practices."

Do you mean Thai?

I would suggest a western educated (and preferably employed), experienced Thai for your Manager and/or Senior developer. For a small team, you need to get the right people to start with. When you grow later, these people can make sure you continue to get good people.

"hire at least one foreigner that is up to speed with western business practices."

Do you mean Thai?

I would suggest a western educated (and preferably employed), experienced Thai for your Manager and/or Senior developer. For a small team, you need to get the right people to start with. When you grow later, these people can make sure you continue to get good people.

In my opinion and experience a 'western educated (and preferably employed), experienced Thai' does not exist.

Foreigners as in a Foreigner in Thailand as in Western/Indian first world asian country like Japan, South Korea, even China.

Western foreigners can be lured to Thailand on a lower salary, it works for a while. Having a western foreigner preferably married with children living in Thailand and who knows his stuff is the prize everyone is looking for. (i am sorry i am not available. :) ).]

After 10 years looking, the first 3 years looking really hard and slowly less and less i now just accept the fact that Thailand is not an IT country and if someone passes by, most of the time they are single and party too much.

In my opinion and experience a 'western educated (and preferably employed), experienced Thai' does not exist.

Foreigners as in a Foreigner in Thailand as in Western/Indian first world asian country like Japan, South Korea, even China.

Western foreigners can be lured to Thailand on a lower salary, it works for a while. Having a western foreigner preferably married with children living in Thailand and who knows his stuff is the prize everyone is looking for. (i am sorry i am not available. :) ).]

After 10 years looking, the first 3 years looking really hard and slowly less and less i now just accept the fact that Thailand is not an IT country and if someone passes by, most of the time they are single and party too much.

I've worked with plenty of western educated, experienced Thais in IT. Some of them even worked OS.

I assume 'richardr' will be the foreigner. There is no point having another one (in such a small operation). You're going to struggle to find a experienced foreigner that will work for 100K.

I guess this might depend on where you are, Bangkok being more, but the BOI numbers are way too low. We're Bangkok based.

For instance just got good programmer, expert Java, some web, and other languages. 44,000 / month and she got 13th month plus another 1 month bonus based on performance. And she turning out to be quite strong. I had a decent, not great, PHP programmer for 60,000. Sub-30 you're looking for someone much more junior.

You're better off to pay more and try to get the best. There's good talent here, you need to find and attract them.

Thanks for the advance and info on the numbers. This is sort of info I was after as you do have to take some figures with some caution. It would be Bangkok based and I was planning on have the development manager role also taking day-to-day responsibility for running the team/office and expecting to pay a premium for that role.

• 2 weeks later...

I had 8 interviews lined up today for Thai PHP programmers.

7 actually turned up which was impressive, however only 1 managed to complete a simple PHP task (write to DB, read from DB)!

There are some talented developers here but certainly hard to find.

development manager role also taking day-to-day responsibility for running the team/office

Two disciplines in one person. The task of finding this person gets tougher with every role added.

If there is one thing Thailand is good at it is using a lot of employees. Better to use three people with lower salaries then one multi-skilled with a higher salary.

Your company would be more resilient and a growth path is easier. Chopping it into smaller tasks and using more people is the way to go in Thailand.