Are Any Of You Ladies French?

Groongthep

The 31 year old niece of a good friend of mine from France is planning her first trip to Thailand later this year. She knows I have been living in Thailand on and off for many years and therefore has asked me to give her niece some suggestions on where to go and what to do. I can give her some good advice on places to visit, where to eat and things to do but I also thought it might be really helpful for her to get the perspectives of some of you expat and local women on things a 55 year old American guy like me wouldn't have much insight into. I will send her a link to this Thaivisa Ladies forum in hopes that she will sign up and ask you gals directly but in the meantime any lists of suggested single farang lady friendly places to stay and things to do (and not do) would be appreciated. You of course, do not have to be French to answer. I just thought the advice of someone from her home country would be of particular interest to her. She is well educated and speaks, reads and writes English fluently.

BTW, I was reading through the pinned Safety Topics thread at the top of this forum and it seems to me that most of the suggestions are common sense that would apply to pretty much anywhere and not just Thailand. Woman's safety was one of the specific topics she was concerned about.

Of course you shouldn't do stupid things (like in any country), but it doesn't seem like safety is a big issue over here. I feel safer in Thailand than I do in almost any country, including my own. Nobody really bothers us here.

Yup, common sense should always prevail, unfortunately with many it does not and they seem to adopt an attitude that because they are on holiday rules no longer apply. But at 31 she should be sensible enough to realize that is not the case!

Of course you shouldn't do stupid things (like in any country), but it doesn't seem like safety is a big issue over here. I feel safer in Thailand than I do in almost any country, including my own. Nobody really bothers us here.

Yup, common sense should always prevail, unfortunately with many it does not and they seem to adopt an attitude that because they are on holiday rules no longer apply. But at 31 she should be sensible enough to realize that is not the case!

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, perhaps I overstated the safety issue, I know Thailand is generally safer than most of our home countries and as a 31 year old business analyst she is mature enough not to do anything stupid.

But besides that what would you recommend for accommodation? I've read positive things from women about Suk 11 Hostel on Sukhumvit Soi 11 and the Reno Hotel in the Soi Kasemsan area but these maybe a bit too downscale for her (I'm not sure). She's not rich but something in the 1500-2000 baht per night range would not be too much. How about the Viengtai in Banglampoo? It used to get good reviews and I believe she would like the area but I haven't heard anything about the place in years.

Since I stay in Bangkok my recommendations mainly revolve around here. I'm going to suggest just one day doing the regular tourist route: Grand Palace, Wat Po, Chatujak Market etc. and at least another two or three doing some off the beaten path stuff like the bicycle tour to Pra Pa Daeng, a walking tour through and around Chinatown, a mid-day drink atop the Riverview Guesthouse, hire a long tail boat to tour the klongs of Thonburi and stuff like that. At night it might be nice to splurge a little bit at Vertigo, Bussaracum and Le Beaulieu (She's French ya know). I'll also recommend some small hole-in-the-wall Thai joints which I know and that have great food.

Outside Bangkok I'll recommend Hua Hin and of course Chiang Mai. I don't know much about Phuket and am so heartbroken over how Ko Samui has been ruined since I used to go there in the early 90's that I don't know if I can bring myself to propose she go there. It does seem going to Thailand for the first time however should include some time at a southern beach resort though.

What would be some things you women would add? I know very little about the nightclubs catering to the younger crowd. Any suggestions?

Edited by Groongthep

Nightclub:

Nars

Bed supper club

Koi

Qbar

Many places in ekamai and thong lor eg nung len

Perhaps check out RCA

Club astra or such for live dj music

Beach:

Krabi

Trang

Off the beaten trail:

Naan (province in the north. Not the Indian bread :)