Copper At Soi Khao Talo

janverbeem

For months there is a daily a BIB at the railway crossing with Soi Khao Talo.Always the same tall guy with the Honda Phantom,so clearly he has the monopoly on that location.

My friend needed to pay him 1000 Baht last Saturday to be able to continue his trip because his Honda PCX had the central console repainted in a not original colour,needless to say he didn't get a receipt.

He must have a pretty well running business since every bike or car passing will have some reason to extort money,the favorit being the lack of the registration book present in the car.Judging from the queue's of bikes that there ar every day at his check point he most have nice little extra earner.

I notice he does even overtime on Sundays and public holidays.:D

My contribution to his private teabox today was 200 Baht for not wearing a seatbelt,just because he couldn't find something else.I told him that now that he had some money he could go do his real job,which would be catching the attempted murder candidates at the traffic light a few hundred meters away,about which he had to laugh.

So if everyone publish his contribution to him here,we can calculate how much extra monthly income the w_nker makes and how long before he can retire from this place.

Was stopped by this guy a few weeks ago.

Was driving my brand new Suzuki Hyate, which I bought the day before.

I was stopped and he asked immediately for my work permit...........(?).

Work permit? For what? Mai mee work permit!! Mee Non-B visa.

Huhhhhh........he looked puzzled......didn't understand the non-B.

Then he asked for my international driving license....................yoo baan.

Insulance?..............mai mee................is new motorbike........receipt yoo baan.

Passport? .........mee.......yoo baan...........!

I told him that I bought the bike just the day before and for whatever reason he said......."Ok, go!!"

Nobody is forced to pay directly and without receip. Best way to stop him is to ask to pay the fine at the police Station, that would put him out of "private" Business. But its much easier to pay a bribe and then go and whine on TV about it. :rolleyes:

"My contribution to his private teabox today was 200 Baht for not wearing a seatbelt,just because he couldn't find something else"

You were not wearing a seat which a fineable offense...and believe the real fine is higher....so you got off cheap...stop whinging......if you are so anti paying tea money for real offenses suggest to BiB concerned to go to the cop shope then and give you a receipt and pay the real fine...:rolleyes:

Sounds like the same guy who pulled me over working alone on the southbound road by the rail line. He tried for license which I had Thai 5 year. Then he said he wanted green book or 500 baht. I told him I had never been asked to produce the green book and I have been stopped often. He then said 500 baht and went to "fine" othe farangs. When he came back I mentioned I wanted to go to station because I had all my reciepts etc for the bike. He then glanced at my bunch of papers and said same same green book which was BS. He just knew he hadn't a case or his other "patrons" were more lucrative, I would slow his take down. I always find these guys like to work alone and the proper Pattaya road check group are usually very fair in their dealings.

Nobody is forced to pay directly and without receip. Best way to stop him is to ask to pay the fine at the police Station, that would put him out of "private" Business. But its much easier to pay a bribe and then go and whine on TV about it. :rolleyes:

Guess you are right,I should have taken the official ticket then thrown it away since I buy another every year anyway and I understand that unpaid fines only get collected when you go pay the road tax,which I never do because I sell the car before.:jap:

"My contribution to his private teabox today was 200 Baht for not wearing a seatbelt,just because he couldn't find something else"

You were not wearing a seat which a fineable offense...and believe the real fine is higher....so you got off cheap...stop whinging......if you are so anti paying tea money for real offenses suggest to BiB concerned to go to the cop shope then and give you a receipt and pay the real fine...:rolleyes:

Yes you are right I didn't wear the seatbelt because I came from the 7/11 about 400 meters down the road and I live about 1 km higher up as where the collecting point is.If you know Soi Khao Talo then you will know that you hardly can drive faster than 40 Km/hour in that soi and I'm even not sure if you have to wear a seatbelt by law at a speed that low.

My " whine" is not about the fact that I had to pay 200 Baht,but rather because some traffic policeman makes a private business at that location for months already while only 600 meters away,and at every other traffic light in Pattaya, other peoples lifes are endangered on a constant base and nothing is done about because the traffic police prefers to fill his own pockets the easy way.

Yes you are right I didn't wear the seatbelt because I came from the 7/11 about 400 meters down the road and I live about 1 km higher up as where the collecting point is.If you know Soi Khao Talo then you will know that you hardly can drive faster than 40 Km/hour in that soi and I'm even not sure if you have to wear a seatbelt by law at a speed that low.

:blink: ....you have to wear a seat belt while the care is moving irrespective of the "distance" you have to travel...:whistling: ....never heard that one before whether you wear a seatbelt is dependent on the speed your travelling...:lol:

Based on comments like this, are you sure you have ever had a driving license anywhere ?

:blink: ....you have to wear a seat belt while the care is moving irrespective of the "distance" you have to travel...:whistling: ....never heard that one before whether you wear a seatbelt is dependent on the speed your travelling...:lol:

Based on comments like this, are you sure you have ever had a driving license anywhere ?

I'm sure you always wear your seatbelt yeah?

You will be easily recognizable since you will be the only one.

Are you serious??? drunk??

Are you serious??? drunk??

No,only realistic.

Yes I do...I had a friend of mine killed many years ago in a car crash, and according to police who investigated the crash said he would have survived if he had his seabelt on.

So anyone who gets in car with me and will not wear a seat belt, I either will not drive the car or I kick them out the car...their choice...

Yesterday, 18-3-2011 at 6 p.m.

Horrendous traffic at Soi Khao Talo.

Around the rail way tracks the traffic was almost at a stand still...............

Where was the f*cking copper??

Off to the pub with all his other bent copper mates and all their tea money from the weeks "work" - lol

JH

this guy flagged me down the other day on the bike with my wife. he asked for license. i gave it to him. he asked for green book. i gave it to him.

he then realized how awesome i am at life and said thank you and told me to have good day.

That's funny........

JH

Seems like the OP has a problem with committing an offence and having to pay, it does seem a bit hypercritical in Thailand as yes there is corruption but if you commit an offence and are in the wrong place at the wrong time you will get fined.

My suggestion is if you dont like the system here in Thailand go home where you will only get fined without any tea money of corruption but the chances are it will be 10 fold the amount and dont forget all those points and insurance increase.

dont understand if OP knows he is there often why drive past him breaking the law, surly common sence would say if you know he is always there make sure you do every thing by the law. only been done once 200 baht on 36 raod, angry at the time, but after its the price we have to pay, coppers get about 8000 per month, out of that threre uniform, radios, guns etc costs are deducted from there salary. cant really blame them, and if gifts off people driving past breaking the law well why not.

dont understand if OP knows he is there often why drive past him breaking the law, surly common sence would say if you know he is always there make sure you do every thing by the law. only been done once 200 baht on 36 raod, angry at the time, but after its the price we have to pay, coppers get about 8000 per month, out of that threre uniform, radios, guns etc costs are deducted from there salary. cant really blame them, and if gifts off people driving past breaking the law well why not.

If you feel police officers have the right to demand bribes because of poor pay then you must be OK with firefighters demanding a bribe before putting out the fire in your house. How about the ambulance who shows up when you are on the roadway after an accident or the doctor in the hospital needing a bit more cash to send his kid abroad for schooling?

The police above all need to be "clean" because they are the ones enforcing the laws of the country and set an example. As far as driving around areas to avoid corrupt cops - thats ridiculous. Obeying the laws is a good idea but they are OFTEN not applied evenly or fairly. Often the helmut and other laws are often applied randomly (to farangs) to people they deem can afford to pay. I have had good and bad experiences but when stopped by an officer and he is alone I cringe because experience tells me he is looking for tea money. The roving road blocks seem to follow the law and even if fined I have had to pay at the station not slip a 500 baht note to him inconspicuously.

You're right I should have worn my seatbelt for that 800 meter trip,but I have to admit that I NEVER wear a seatbelt because I feel uncomfortable with it as I'm a short person and actually I don't bring other people in danger with not wearing it.I know it is the law so you are right.

Then again,the OP was not about ebforcing the law in Thailand,which is a joke of course,but rather about how much he earns under the table each month.My guess is that it's more than a doctor earns in this country and far more than a policeman in the western world earns.