Housing

Now people before anyone starts on one, my wife and I both work and are claiming no benefits. I am on a 2 year spouse visa.

We live with my wifes mum in a three bedroom flat with two children. Granted, that in itself is not a problem but we are looking at moving out and need some advice on how to secure assistance from the council without jeopardizing any future Ilr application.

You live in the home of a close relative and are sponsored to be in the UK making you illegible for housing benefit.

Get yourself down to your local job centre for face-to-face advice.

I presume the OP is referring to the UK.

I do not see what point there is in going to the job centre as the OP claims he and his wife have jobs.

What is his wifes and and children's status? if they are entitled to social housing his wife can apply but he would be a "nonentity", probably have to go on a waiting list.

There is nothing wrong with the OP moving in if the house offered is large enough, other options are private renting or buying.

More advice here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Councilandhousingassociationhomes/Councilhousing/Applying/DG_188701

Could also try Citizans Advice for help: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Social housing is on the list of proscribed public funds; so your wife is not entitled to it until she has ILR.

However, you are.

The children may also be; if they are yours and so British; if they are your step-children and not British then, like your wife, they are not.

If you do claim social housing for you and the children, that your wife will be living there too does not breach any rules.

But remember, the best you can do is put yourselves on the waiting list. Like you, myself, wife and step-daughter lived with my parents at first. As soon as we were eligible we put ourselves on the council waiting list; it took nearly five years to get somewhere! As one housing officer said: "I know it's not ideal, but at least you are together under one roof. I've got families split up in bed and breakfast that take priority over you."

Speak to the housing office of your local council.

Whilst most housing associations only take tenants from the council list; some will take people who approach them direct. In which case it would not be classed as social housing and so not proscribed. It may be worth contacting some directly.