Japan. Just Imagine The Same Situation In Thailand.

AzarovDmitriy

Excuse me for my question in advance, but I am very interesting your opinion?

Please, read this message from BBC Live:

John Luke in Tokyo writes: "I am British and always will

be but I've lived here in Tokyo for 14 years. Japan is my

home now. How could I just leave at this time of crisis.

I think for us foreigners who stay here, we will have a special bond,

'we survived, we didn't give up'. I want to stay. Japan is my home now."

My question: I know that many of us live here for a long time,

If the same situation happened in Thailand what would you do?

Let us have some respect for the thousands who died and the hundreds of thousands who are suffering in the dark and cold, radiation threats too. These kind of 'polls' can be held later when the situation is under control.

I would be out asap, the Looting & other horrific traits of Humanity etc that hasn't happened in a disciplined & civilised Country like Japan, would be a serious problem here..

Edited by MSingh

I would be out asap, the Looting & other horrific traits of Humanity etc that hasn't happened in a disciplined & civilised Country like Japan, would be a serious problem here..

Agreed. And should Thailand build a nuclear power station it could be wise to start making exit plans before they throw the switch.

If we are talking about the nuclear reactor situation I hope Thailand never builds any reactors so the situation can never arise.

As far as coping with the aftermath of a tsunami, in my opinion the Thais coped admirably with the situation in 2004. They got onto dealing with the aftermath quickly and with a minimum of fuss. No wallowing in national self pity. Many people volunteered to help and the work was often not easy or pleasant. It was probably the period that I have had my highest opinion of Thai society.

Japan and Thailand. Two different mindsets and greater organizational abilities. We needn't dwell on comparatives or "what ifs"........much too embarrassing.

I would echo that statement. Look at the difference between a huge disaster like the Tsunami in Japan and the much milder flooding in New Orleans, or, the earthquake in Haiti. Talk about embarrassing! It was the looting and scamming that made it an embarrasment.

If the same happened in Thailand, I would still not leave here.

Many of us have invested everything into Thailand, homes, businesses, families and pets. For a lot of us there would be no other place to go. For example those who have completely sold up in the home countries.

It is not so easy to just pack up our troubles in our old kit bags and go. Life isn’t that simple.

As what one poster has already mentioned, I too don`t believe that Thailand could cope very well if it suffered a major catastrophic event like the Japanese earthquake. It would probably become a hell on earth.

Another point is that the English guy in Japan quoted; the English in Japan are bonded together. I don`t see any such ex pat closeness in Thailand. Perhaps if the worse did happen, it would be something like the old wartime spirit experienced during the blitz and people would become closer, instead of being all out for themselves.

Let us hope that something as terrible as this never happens.

If the same happened in Thailand, I would still not leave here.

Many of us have invested everything into Thailand, homes, businesses, families and pets. For a lot of us there would be no other place to go. For example those who have completely sold up in the home countries.

It is not so easy to just pack up our troubles in our old kit bags and go. Life isn’t that simple.

As what one poster has already mentioned, I too don`t believe that Thailand could cope very well if it suffered a major catastrophic event like the Japanese earthquake. It would probably become a hell on earth.

Another point is that the English guy in Japan quoted; the English in Japan are bonded together. I don`t see any such ex pat closeness in Thailand. Perhaps if the worse did happen, it would be something like the old wartime spirit experienced during the blitz and people would become closer, instead of being all out for themselves.

Let us hope that something as terrible as this never happens.

I think Dimitriy (probably Ukrainian?) is writing about the nuclear accident, and not so much about the earthquake.

Tokyo was more or less undamaged, the the nuclear accident is what could cause foreigners to leave.

I think Dimitriy (probably Ukrainian?) is writing about the nuclear accident, and not so much about the earthquake.

Tokyo was more or less undamaged, the the nuclear accident is what could cause foreigners to leave.

Exactly. Not too many of us would stick around to get radiation poisoning, no matter how much we love the place.

Lets say there was a nuclear power in Trat having the same problems. I can't seem myself leaving Bangkok and moving to another country.

But I also wouldn't be strutting around some BBC messageboard claiming to have a "special bond" with Thais and that saying "we survived, we didn't give up"

I just don't think Thailand could cope with what has happened to Japan. Japan is a first world country with the 3rd largest economy in the world. The Japanese are far more diciplined and resiliant than Thais. i have'nt heard of looting there either and as an earlier poster said, i think it would be rife here.

I just don't think Thailand could cope with what has happened to Japan. Japan is a first world country with the 3rd largest economy in the world. The Japanese are far more diciplined and resiliant than Thais. i have'nt heard of looting there either and as an earlier poster said, i think it would be rife here.

Japan aren't coping with what happened in Japan.

Thailand may cope better being an underdeveloped country and people not relying on getting everything from the local supermarket or having to deal with freezing weather.

Thailand may cope better being an underdeveloped country and people not relying on getting everything from the local supermarket or having to deal with freezing weather.

You don't seem to have read my post properly. I did'nt say Japan is coping. I just implied that i think they would cope better.

Secondly what exactly do the Thais know about freezing cold weather exactly, apart from nothing that is. Don't the Japanese deal with it every year?

Thirdly, do you think Thailand could rebuild an entire city like Kobe in 18 months.

:blink:

You don't seem to have read my post properly. I did'nt say Japan is coping. I just implied that i think they would cope better.

Secondly what exactly do the Thais know about freezing cold weather exactly, apart from nothing that is. Don't the Japanese deal with it every year?

Thirdly, do you think Thailand could rebuild an entire city like Kobe in 18 months.

I think he means that Thai's won't have to deal with freezing weather because it's warm all year here. So if your house was destroyed you can temporarily live in your boxer shorts under a lean-to (as many people do permanently in Thailand) without having to worry about hypothermia.

And that it's easier to rebuild a destroyed shack then an elaborate house.

You said "I just don't think Thailand could cope". If Japan can't cope, then Thailand wouldn't have much chance of coping.

Second, the Thais don't know anything about freezing cold weather. But the point was, they don't need to know. So that makes it easier for them to cope.

I have a hard time believing the posters who say they would stay during a major nuclear disaster. My guess is that anyone who could afford to get out would - unless they were 90 years old and on death's door anyway. QP2qntmo74646012.gif

But it is regional. Sure if you live in Trat and there was an accident there, you should high-tail it out of there. But if you lived in Chang Mai and you left, your kind of a Sally.

I have a hard time believing the posters who say they would stay during a major nuclear disaster. My guess is that anyone who could afford to get out would - unless they were 90 years old and on death's door anyway. QP2qntmo74646012.gif

Clearly people would move from the affected area, Thai and foreign alike.

I read the original post more as a question if people would stick around and support Thailand in difficult times, or bail.

I'm not bailing.