Dtac Or Ais Unlimited Data Access Via Edge

Chivas

I know some will shout do a search but on this occasion would be grateful if up to date information could be posted.

Am looking at an unlimited access plan on either Dtac or AIS ?? The best we had before was an Edge connection (which was fine)

What cost are we looking at now ??

Thanks in Advance

Edge only, cost around 600/m

Thanks-do you just pre load the sim in advance and then monthly thereafter 600 baht is pulled from the sim balance assuming there's enough credit ??

I'm pretty sure you need a postpay/contract for this.

My DTAC EDGE is on a pre-paid SIM. Several levels are offered either by number of hours or amount of data. 750.00 for unlimited monthly, 99 Baht for 20 hours/month, believe 199 for 50 hours and a few other levels.

Just keep it topped up and they automatically deduct the payment. No contract, just call them up and tell them what package you want. Actually, they have an automated service to do it also.

I didn't know that...live and learn ;)

Btw I happen to be replying to this on my android phone using dtac edge and it is dead slow bordering on useless...

A lot depends of course on your signal strength and how busy the specific tower is. Well outside of Chiang Mai in a less populated area and full bars signal, I get between 150 - 250 kbps which is fine for browsing.

The strength is almost always full bars regardless of where I am here in Pattaya, but the speed abysmal. I didn't measure the download speed but it takes at least a full minute to load this page from TV when I am on Edge. I think with Pattaya being a tourist destination we probably have a lot of people using it.

I think with Pattaya being a tourist destination we probably have a lot of people using it.

Most likely is the problem. When a major holiday is on, schools out, mine slows. My page loads are around 5-10 seconds max.

For pre-paid 2G (GSM: GPRS/EDGE):

DTAC looks to be 790 THB/month

AIS/One-2-Call look to be 799 THB/month

FWIW, voice calls have priority over GSM (GPRS/EDGE) data. GSM data uses available bandwidth. As more people on your serving base-station make/receive voice calls the available bandwidth for data decreases.

Edited by lomatopo

FWIW, voice calls have priority over GSM (GPRS/EDGE) data. GSM data uses available bandwidth. As more people on your serving base-station make/receive voice calls the available bandwidth for data decreases.

They both have a "smartphone" package at around 600 baht/month. You have to explicitly ask for it, otherwise you'll pay the higher price. :)

They both have a "smartphone" package at around 600 baht/month. You have to explicitly ask for it, otherwise you'll pay the higher price. :)

Yes, both AIS/One-2-Call and DTAC/Happy have pre-paid Smartphone-targeted packages. Both are priced at 650 THB/month, no need to ask for these explicitly as they are right there in the links I provided. However, both have a 3 GB limit, at which time you start paying extra per MB. The OP specifically asked about UNLIMITED packages so that's what I posted.

Yes, both AIS/One-2-Call and DTAC/Happy have pre-paid Smartphone-targeted packages. Both are priced at 650 THB/month, no need to ask for these explicitly as they are right there in the links I provided. However, both have a 3 GB limit, at which time you start paying extra per MB. The OP specifically asked about UNLIMITED packages so that's what I posted.

All clear, thanks for the clarification :)

Excellent appreciated.

seems to vary as to when you buy your sim card and the contract fee in force at the time - I bought an Edge aircard April 2010, 650 baht month (plus tax so 700), no contract I top it up at any Kasikorn ATM, when i travel and don't want to take the laptop I put the sim in my phone, just sure to keep the balance above 700 and use it for calls/sms as well as internet.

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanted to setup a prepaid sim for just 1 month in Thailand, and wanted to use the 799 Baht AIS edge pack, would it be best to get some sort of talk+text pack as well or just leave it at the default options and have sms+text credits deducted from your prepaid balance?

If you wanted to setup a prepaid sim for just 1 month in Thailand, and wanted to use the 799 Baht AIS edge pack, would it be best to get some sort of talk+text pack as well or just leave it at the default options and have sms+text credits deducted from your prepaid balance?

You can choose any current available calling promotion in addition to any current available data promotion.

Typically the linear process would be: buy SIM, activate SIM, add money to SIM, choose calling promotion (you get a default one when you activate the SIM), choose a data plan. Everything is month-to-month.

I am not sure what the default package is re: voice calls and SMS, it is probably not the least expensive. You can dial *777, or use eServices, to determine your current package and change if you want.

The default package is based on the type of SIM initially purchased, do not fear as any SIM can have any package. The Freedom SIM, by far the most common, has a default package of 2 baht/min for the first min, then 50 satang/min thereafter; SMS 2 baht per. You could change to a plan like Ngai Sood, 0.97 baht/min all networks 7x24.

Edited by lomatopo

Btw I happen to be replying to this on my android phone using dtac edge and it is dead slow bordering on useless...

Over the last year or two the speed of DTAC's EDGE has declined to the point where it often feels like GPRS again. If its any consolation, AIS is even worse (have that in an iPad). I suppose its because every man and his dog has a smartphone now, but who knows.