Soundproof My Homeoffice - Windows

I'm planing to turn one of the rooms into a homeoffice but i need to soundproof the windows and sliding door first.

The condo is located on a high floor facing sukhumvit road on one side and ekkamai on the other side.

The walls are quite thick and do not let any noise go through but the windows are single pane. I read about a product called soundproof windows and it looks like a good solution. Unfortunately i can't find any company in BKK which sells soundproof windows like this company does: http://www.soundproofwindows.com/product_overview.html http://www.soundproofwindows.com/doors.html http://www.soundproofwindows.com/photos.html

There's not much i can do besides installing soundproof windows and a soundproof sliding door because i'm not the owner of the condo. Soundproof windows and soundproof sliding doors are like an additional layer of soundproofing, i don't have to do any major construction work or replace the current windows.

Someone on TV opened a similar thread but not much useful info about soundproof windows in there

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/404050-soundproof-windows-where-to-buy-them/

So if anyone knows where i can find some soundproof products like the ones mentioned on the website above, please let me know!

Let me know too, please! That company looks great and I have similar noise problems in my condo. I bought the unit but don't own the windows so internal windows might be a partial solution - I looked at the website though and I think they underplay the amount of sound transmission through the walls themselves.

Look at the acoustics in the room too. A carpet, curtains, etc can help.

The condo is rented, and not owned. I wonder which course of action will cost more - the two months security deposit, or the price for soundproofing?

The condo is rented, and not owned. I wonder which course of action will cost more - the two months security deposit, or the price for soundproofing?

I was wondering about that too but one person's rent is another's salary so you can't presume it's not a high-end unit. Some have single pane windows with just a very thick pane (24mm+) which may not always stop the transmission of the sound. I emailed the US internal windows company referred to above who have no business here but offered to give a quote inc shipping to LOS, so I'm guessing once import taxes and duties are added, losing your deposit will seem like the best course of action.

A possible way forward would be to see if a Thai window company offer similar internal windows. Can't find any myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering about that too but one person's rent is another's salary so you can't presume it's not a high-end unit. Some have single pane windows with just a very thick pane (24mm+) which may not always stop the transmission of the sound. I emailed the US internal windows company referred to above who have no business here but offered to give a quote inc shipping to LOS, so I'm guessing once import taxes and duties are added, losing your deposit will seem like the best course of action.

A possible way forward would be to see if a Thai window company offer similar internal windows. Can't find any myself.

The company mentioned above got back to me, it will cost +/- $1800 ex. shipping and import duties to isolate my home office. I expected it to be more, but then, i don't know how much the shipping carrier and customs will charge me. I'll probably also have to hire a handyman to install the windows and sliding door.

• 2 weeks later...

If your just looking for an additional pane of glass or two couldn't you hire a carpenter to do the work. Don't know what your windows look like but I would think some type of temporary frame could be made to hold glass panes to meet your requirement.