Getting A New Passport

Pillion

Greetings drivers and fellow Pillioners.

Hopefully this is ok posted in the Chiang Mai forum as it is about getting passports here in Chaing Mai.

In the very near future I will need a new UK passport. I've had conflicting information as to whether I can get a new passport through the British Consul in Chiang Mai. I was just wondering if anyone in Chiang Mai has had any recent experiences getting a new UK passport here and what is the process? Hopefully I can do it from Chiang Mai as I doubt my driver will be too enthused about taking me to Bangkok!

Thanks!

A good friend of mine unfortunately British :lol: just got his new passport. It comes from Hongkong not CM or BK you can go on line to your embassy web site or contact your consular office in Cm for mailing details. For better results you can post this on the visa forum to other countries on the home page for answer.

I just had mine renewed. You can get all the forms from the consulate in Chiang Mai, they will look through them also once completed. You can choose a 32 page or a 48 page passport 2 different prices. You then have to get a bankers draft from one of the thai banks for the equivelent money in Hong Kong dollars ( I used SCB on Tapaei Road as some banks only do Thai Bhat bankers drafts). Once you have done that take the forms, 2 passport photos (1 signed by someone that knows you) and the draft to DHL near Tapaei Gate and it costs 962 thb to send it to Hong Kong, they have all the envelopes set out already so you don't have to worry about the address in hong kong. Mine was returned within 10 days but there has been reports on it taking much longer. DHL delivered it direct to my door.

Thai Miller is correct, although when I needed a new one 2 years ago I just went to the British Consulate, gave them everything TM mentioned, was able to pay by bankers draft and they rang me when it was ready for collection and I obviously went and picked it up from them.

So it looks like things have changed somewhat but you can still get one in CM

Quite simple realy I did it last month.

Best to go to the UK Consulate pick up the form and fill it in

You will need two photo's one signed by some one who has known you for at least two years if your in the know then a Police man Doctor or village head would be appropriate, I had my friend a retired offshore Electrical maintenance engineer sign mine.

If you have a UK debit card or Credit Card fill in the bank details (part of the form) as they will want 7000 Bht for a 42 page PassPort, this will be taken out in Hong Kong Dollars from your account.

I recommend you take the form back to the Consulate and get the very help full staff to go over it and confirm every thing is in order

You will then have to take your completed docs to DHL (The Consulate recomends you only use them) in Chiang mai and send it to Hong Kong British Consulate, When I went there they asked me to fill in my return address did not even have to tell them where to send it (Hong Kong) they are up to speed with passports being sent by Brits for renewel in Hong Kong and have the address printed out before you can fill in your return address.

Pay them I think 984 Bht and thats it.

You keep your original passport (Yes You do not send it) I suppose because it is against the Law not to have your Passport with you at all times.

You get a Tracking number where upon you can Track it to Hong Kong,

Mine took approx 23 Hrs to reach the Consulate in HK and the following day the money was taken out of my UK bank account, I think it was a further 11 days before I received my new Passport back to my home address in Chiang mai

Hope this helps

TB

Quite simple realy I did it last month.

Best to go to the UK Consulate pick up the form and fill it in

You will need two photo's one signed by some one who has known you for at least two years if your in the know then a Police man Doctor or village head would be appropriate, I had my friend a retired offshore Electrical maintenance engineer sign mine.

If you have a UK debit card or Credit Card fill in the bank details (part of the form) as they will want 7000 Bht for a 42 page PassPort, this will be taken out in Hong Kong Dollars from your account.

I recommend you take the form back to the Consulate and get the very help full staff to go over it and confirm every thing is in order

You will then have to take your completed docs to DHL (The Consulate recomends you only use them) in Chiang mai and send it to Hong Kong British Consulate, When I went there they asked me to fill in my return address did not even have to tell them where to send it (Hong Kong) they are up to speed with passports being sent by Brits for renewel in Hong Kong and have the address printed out before you can fill in your return address.

Pay them I think 984 Bht and thats it.

You keep your original passport (Yes You do not send it) I suppose because it is against the Law not to have your Passport with you at all times.

You get a Tracking number where upon you can Track it to Hong Kong,

Mine took approx 23 Hrs to reach the Consulate in HK and the following day the money was taken out of my UK bank account, I think it was a further 11 days before I received my new Passport back to my home address in Chiang mai

Hope this helps

TB

Thanks everyone, seems a lot simpler than I imagined.

Cheers!!