Why Do Expats Wear Socks In Thailand

MrsMills

I also prefer to give a pass to the "official" and seemingly "mandatory" dress code I see most older foreign males wearing here; either a Singha, Chang or Red Bull singlet (muscle shirt), cargo shorts and 40baht sandals. :bah:

Then again I've got over 120 different KISS t-shirts and wear one with Levis every day, so go figure!! ;)

Do you whistle "I Was Made for Lovin' You" while you are wandering around, that's style.

beggars belief,u are equal to the wearing shorts imbecile.What sort of life do u have,have you had mental problems in the past,do u suffer from depression.

Sorry somtampet, I just don't get it! Take another deep breath and give it another stab a! It may be me, I am only on my first Sangsom.

Don't feel too bad ;) ;

I'm on my second แบน (baaenM) of SangSom (แสงโสม), that's the small flat bottles not to be confused with a กลม (glohmM) or the big round bottles (fifths), and I still can't understand a single word of it!! :blink:

Oh, and BACK ON TOPIC: I wear sox here because I wear either Doc Martin boots or shoes. However on the rare occasion when I wear sandals I DO NOT wear sox! Sox and sandals just don't go together, no matter how you slice it! :ermm:

I also prefer to give a pass to the "official" and seemingly "mandatory" dress code I see most older foreign males wearing here; either a Singha, Chang or Red Bull singlet (muscle shirt), cargo shorts and 40baht sandals. :bah:

Then again I've got over 120 different KISS t-shirts and wear one with Levis every day, so go figure!! ;)

Oh I miss my ten-hole cherry reds. I could cycle down to the paper shop in less time than it took to lace them up, except for in the winter, when I fell off my bike every morning on the ice at the cross-roads at the foot of the hill.

I was going to berate the poster for wearing DMs in Thailand, then I thought of the boots the squaddies wear here. Is there an army anywhere in the world, whose soldiers wear sandals in the heat of battle? Do your feet really getr much hotter in the jungle or the desert than they do in more temperate climates, when they are safely enclosed in well-dubbined boots?

SC

I usually wear only a pair of socks and nothing else when I go shopping in my local area.

No one takes any notice because they all know I'm a bit mental.

you should never wear socks and sandles in[ black socks ] thailand unless you can supply a doctors certificate to the sock police . james hat yai B)

Oh I miss my ten-hole cherry reds. I could cycle down to the paper shop in less time than it took to lace them up, except for in the winter, when I fell off my bike every morning on the ice at the cross-roads at the foot of the hill.

I was going to berate the poster for wearing DMs in Thailand, then I thought of the boots the squaddies wear here. Is there an army anywhere in the world, whose soldiers wear sandals in the heat of battle? Do your feet really getr much hotter in the jungle or the desert than they do in more temperate climates, when they are safely enclosed in well-dubbined boots?

SC

The Vietcong army???

Wearing long trousers with no socks is sooo naff - just as bad as wearing socks with sandals.

I wear thick woolly-soled socks around the house - granite tiles otherwise beat the cr@p out of my feet.

The Vietcong army???

Do you mean the NVA (North Vietnamese Army), the Viet Minh or Viet Cong?

The Viet Cong certainly did as did the Khmer Rouge.

Don't know if they wore socks though, possibly for the formal regimental dinners. :D

If I am wearing trainers I wear socks, usually the thin short variety. If I am wearing sandals I wouldn't dare wear socks, the ThaiVisa fascionist hit squads would get me before I reach the end of the lane. :ermm:

A lot of Vietnamese women wear socks with flip flops (the socks have toes) mainly to keep their feet clean.