Laws Governing Standing Up During Anthem Playing In Cinemas

eagleflyinghigh

I believe we always should adjust to local customs when being in any country - including if these customs rather might make us think of North Korea. I expect the same of Thai people visiting my country and have to say that Thais tend to be very respectful of other cultures too when traveling. So I strongly believe we should do the same.

Thailand is now focusing on a middle Eastern / Russian clientele (good luck!) who obviusly is less sensitive to local customs than we stupid "farang" from Western Europe.

Today I had a rather frightening experience in a movie theatre.

I was sitting just in between Thais and a group of five miiddle Eastern gentlemen when the anthem started playing. Non content not standing up these foreigners made remarks I can not quote here but which are left to your imagnation. The Thais on my left and behind me getting upset I tried to convince my sitting neighbors to at least stop their comments, also I calmed down the Thais. Gladly nothing happened and the movie started.

Does anybody know under which Law a Thai or foreign person could be convicted for not standing up during the anthem. Would such Law also apply for not standing still in a BTS station at 8 AM in the morning or 6 PM while the national anthem is playing. Could it be a solution not to play the anthem in places which are mostly for tourists (never upset your customer) or would this be against the Law.

Edited by eagleflyinghigh

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting. Here is Moscow by the sea, Pattaya, I have noticed that the Russians seem slow in standing up for the King's song and have also witnessed some non-standers lately (but no rude comments). I don't think the taboo is as strong for the national anthem thing on the street.

Edited by Jingthing

Does anybody know under which Law a Thai or foreign person could be convicted for not standing up during the anthem. Would such Law also apply for not standing still in a BTS station at 8 AM in the morning or 6 PM while the national anthem is playing. Could it be a solution not to play the anthem in places which are mostly for tourists (never upset your customer) or would this be against the Law.

I have no idea about the law ..... BUT

If a policeman sees you do it, they will take you away and put you in jail.

It's very unlikely a foreigner would get charged over a movie incident, but getting heckled and having projectiles thrown, a definite possibility. I do feel for people who aren't quite in wheelchairs but are still frail who may feel pained to have to stand.

Edited by Jingthing

Actually the song they play in cinemas is the Royal Anthem or in karaoke engrish; "Phleng Sanrasoen Phra Barami" (in Thai: เพลงสรรเสริญพระบารมี).

The one you hear at 8:00 & 18:00 is the official National Anthem called "Phleng Chat" (in Thai: เพลงชาติ). Over the last 5 years I've seen more and more Thais pause briefly and then continue about their business when that one plays twice a day. Some stop, but from my observations, they certainly seem to be in the minority. Evidently there is an actual law saying every Thai must stand during this song

FWIW: I go to the cinema quite a lot and I've got no hesitation in kicking the backs of the theatre chairs foreigners were sitting in and tellin' 'em to stand up for the Royal Anthem, but that's just me. Usually most foreigners will 'follow the herd' and when the entire theatre stands up they will too.

It doesn't take a college degree to be courteous about the customs and traditions of any country you're in.

I believe there was a case of a Thai national facing lese majeste charges for failing to stand for the Royal Anthem in a cinema back in 2008 or something. Dunno what happened to them though.

Edited by tod-daniels

That's interesting. Here is Moscow by the sea, Pattaya, I have noticed that the Russians seem slow in standing up for the King's song and have also witnessed some non-standers lately (but no rude comments). I don't think the taboo is as strong for the national anthem thing on the street.

Our brothers and sisters from the the former CCCP (USSR) and the new Русский (Russia) have generally not been known for courtecy or civility to others, as our friends in Pattaya and Phuket can probably attest to. They even make ugly Americans look better by comparison. rolleyes.gif

David

Edited by Genericnic

I have seen people got to jail over this and I do not plan on testing it. I stand out of respect.

Examples and sources please. I know only about this case and it is under investigation for more than 2 years. http://thaipolitical...otisak-onsoong/ . A potential high profile case?

I agree with you regarding "out of respect" for Thai people and Thailand as a whole.

I stand out of respect, it’s not hard, I don’t have to smile, wave a Thai flag, brake out into a big dance number or sing. I just have to count the second till I get back to my popcorn.

As for berating anyone else about not standing, why should I, bottom line he’s not my king, I stand out of respect, (my respect for the Thai monarchy) not out of being a loyal subject, What ‘Joe Soap’ gets up to is his business! I’m no expert on Thailand but…….One thing I’ve learnt, don’t stick your nose into any matters concerning Thailand, you will only get it bit off!

I don't mind the custom but I must say when attending film festivals and seeing four of five films a day, it does get tedious. But you can't really say, I already stood up today ...

Have you tried? You may get away with it, if it works with speeding tickets here in Thailand. Next time give it a go, please let us know how you get on. :whistling:

Though I am loath to agree with the poster known as the "real thing" :whistling: (just as Im sure they dont want me on their side either :bah: ;

That song played OVER and OVER at those film festivals DOES weigh on a person after a while!

You'd think 'film festivals' could be exempt from the rule, wouldn't you? :whistling:

Edited by tod-daniels

I don't mind the custom but I must say when attending film festivals and seeing four of five films a day, it does get tedious. But you can't really say, I already stood up today ...

My God man. Your standing up four to five times a day!

Have you tried? You may get away with it, if it works with speeding tickets here in Thailand. Next time give it a go, please let us know how you get on. :whistling:

You're clearly trying to get me stoned. Behave!

There is only one part of Thailand that is focussing on a Middel Eastern/Russian Clinetele Mr Orignial Poster & it is not a Part of Thaiand that can really be classed as & generalised as " Thailand " if you get my drift..

& the Gaff is a an absolute sh*tehole aswell that place you're talkign about, with the dregs of every Western City on the Planet, very well represented..:bah:

There is only one part of Thailand that is focussing on a Middel Eastern/Russian Clinetele Mr Orignial Poster & it is not a Part of Thaiand that can really be classed as & generalised as " Thailand " if you get my drift..

& the Gaff is a an absolute sh*tehole aswell that place you're talkign about, with the dregs of every Western City on the Planet, very well represented..:bah:

Home sweet home! Do you feel better now? I know the feeling, like after a massive BM.

I think you'll find that like many other westerners Russians are beginning to move north as well. Doesn't bother me any. The Russians I have know I liked very much.

i have nothing to add to this conversation other than... i really enjoy the montage.

Yeah, it's a bit like a Bedlam thread and in that spirit I'll add that I really hope a Russin opens a restaurant up here in Chiang Mai. I'd kill for some nice Beef Stroganoff or a Chicken Kiev.

i have nothing to add to this conversation other than... i really enjoy the montage.

Yeah, it's a bit like a Bedlam thread and in that spirit I'll add that I really hope a Russin opens a restaurant up here in Chiang Mai. I'd kill for some nice Beef Stroganoff or a Chicken Kiev.

That's interesting. Neither dish seems to be a standard on the Russian restaurant menus in Pattaya. Chicken Cordon Bleu is very similar to Kiev, so I'm sure 100 places in CM have that.