Can Mingkwan Rein In Violent Reds, PM Abhisit Asks

webfact

Can Mingkwan rein in violent reds, PM asks

By The Nation

30151352-01.jpg

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday challenged Pheu Thai Party party-list MP Mingkwan Saengsuwan to prove he could run the country by reining in red-shirt hawks.

"I hope Mingkwan will decide the direction of the Pheu Thai Party and help end conflicts that have led to rallies and militia movements. If he can put a stop to such violence, it means he can show his leadership,'' Abhisit said.

Mingkwan last week offered himself up as the party's PM candidate.

If Mingkwan does not constrain the mass mobilisations, it means he does not possess leadership qualities, Abhisit said.

Once Mingkwan enters the race, he cannot be complacent, he said. "We have to do our best.''

Abhisit said he could not promise that the organic election bills would be passed before he dissolves the House in the first week of May, but would try to be on schedule.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit did not deny reports that Chalerm Yoobamrung, chairman of the party's MPs, supports Yingluck Shinawatra as the party's PM candidate instead of Mingkwan.

It shows that the party has more than one option, he said, adding that the party would decide on the issue after its annual caucus.

He downplayed media reports claiming that Chalerm has renounced politics, saying Chalerm only wanted to add political colour to his talks.

Pheu Thai leaders would defuse all dissatisfaction among party members later, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-21

I'm sure there are several capable and charismatic leaders in Peua Thai who could help them win an election and then go on to be a good prime minister but, at this point, non of them want to be lackeys to a man in Dubai, nor are they 'loyal' enough to be given the green light by this party's shadowy leader. That's the whole problem with this so called 'political party', and if/when they lose the election perhaps their members should start reflecting on this.

Didn't hear so much of Minkwan, but I know he looks like Alfred E. Neuman from MAD magazine :lol:. But they all say the same thing before elections. Promises promises, and after elected, neglect, corruption, more neglect, more corruption. THAT's the definition of politics in Thailand.

Mingkwan is exactly the kind of guy the Peaua Thai party needs going into an election.

As he led the charge in the censure debate it is only right that PT should highlight the possible insider trading and connections between major businesses and govt policy.

This is a matter of grave concern, and it is important to note that at no time when Mingkwan was part of Toyota, was there ever any hint of favouritism given to Toyota, nor did the TRT government ever provide major tax holidays or policies which somehow in any way might have benefited Toyota or associated suppliers to Toyota such as Thai Summit. In fact, to even suggest that a company like Thai Summit would have any connection to government is rediculous; I am sure Suriya was just working with TRT and at that time had no connection at all to the various policies which appears to support the Thai Summit Group, even down to electric golf carts when APEC was here. After all, one would not expect a minister of industry to ever favour himself or his family business.

And when MCOT was listed in 2004 with some question of who were allocated shares, given the considerable options available to improve MCOT and the massive revenue implications given that MCOT is effectively controlling the revenues and costs of channel 3 (the Maleenont family - again no connection to TRT policy except being a leading financier of the party, but that's not important as financiers don't have any impact on the way a party runs), it is important to see that Mingkwan did an outstanding job as an outsider with no government connections brought in to help modernise a govt owned station that was the only station to broadcast Thaksin's message from overseas after the coup. After all one would not expect a cabinet minister like Pracha to ever favour himself or his family business, and Mingkwan is his own man. nor would one expect any bias in news reporting. Everyone is very sure that Mingkwan got the job without any likelihood of political interference.

More recently as a PPP cabinet minister Mingkwan once again set himself apart with the idea of founding a rice cartel, and managing to somehow ensure that Thai rice farmers and the Thai tax payers were able to hedge against massive profit taking as rice prices spiralled; overpaying rice farmers at above market pledge pricing, and then not selling until the price of rice had already crashed. Now, it takes genius to read a market, but it takes a lot of balls to read a market, and then do the exact opposite.

He is often referred to by the avuncular "j Ming". If avuncular means, aunt. Which it doesn't.

Given Thaksin's comments on the purple colour of Aphisit's advisors, obviously in retrospect should Mingkwan lead PT into the election, then either Thaksin was actually being complimentary.....or double faced.....or maybe the whole Chiang Mai style storming the gay pride march type activities is because PT supporters want to be part of the parade...it isn't because they are total closed minded bigots who are interpreting the kind of hateful speech Thaksin preaches....we are simply misintrepeting, and that's proved by Mingkwan being the PT leader de jour.

At any rate, if the amount of sticking out of one's ears are a good predictor of political suitability, then Mingkwan is exactly the kind of bloke Thailand needs.

Now...if only we could somehow line up Jakapop Penkair as a deputy PM again........

He is often referred to by the avuncular "j Ming". If avuncular means, aunt. Which it doesn't.

Given Thaksin's comments on the purple colour of Aphisit's advisors, obviously in retrospect should Mingkwan lead PT into the election, then either Thaksin was actually being complimentary.....or double faced.....or maybe the whole Chiang Mai style storming the gay pride march type activities is because PT supporters want to be part of the parade...it isn't because they are total closed minded bigots who are interpreting the kind of hateful speech Thaksin preaches....we are simply misintrepeting, and that's proved by Mingkwan being the PT leader de jour.

Aside from Mingkwan being gay, which doesn't interest me in the slightest, do you actually think that the 50 or so red shirts that disrupted the parade did so because of Thaksin's speeches? Thaksin was making a reference to Prem, I believe, but it doesn't follow that these people interpreted Thaksin's speech and thought "well, Prem is gay so gay people must be bad". Now I think Chiang Mai 51 are backward reactionaries but I doubt this attitude has anything to do with Thaksin's speech. Judging by what the leader of RCM51 said (DJ Aom), it more likely stems from mistaken beliefs about "Lanna culture" - another Thai myth... like many elements of Thai history taught in schools, it's mostly fantasy - and fear of the other. I know two gay red shirts from CM and neither of them have anything to do with this group.

Regards Jakrapob, I've often heard yellow leaning haters generally refer to him as "EPenn". Of course it's easier to criticize undereducated backward provincials for their disgusting homophobia than it is supposedly well-educated Sino-Thai. Mind you, they haven't attacked any parades yet, I suppose.

At any rate, if the amount of sticking out of one's ears are a good predictor of political suitability, then Mingkwan is exactly the kind of bloke Thailand needs.

Yeah and he also failed in the bar and music business. Not a good sign. I think he had a music label called "Glitz" where all the singers were teenage boys. It only had one hit, with a kid named Pong during the mid-90s. Anyway, by all accounts Mingkwan did a legitimately good job at MCOT, despite the fact that it isn't that hard to turn a government lead TV channel around. And of course, he got paid handsomely for it because he received shares. Overall I'd say he's not the most inspiring candidate, but he does seem a decent guy capable of coming up with a few ideas of his own.

Anyway, what's your point about him refusing to air coup leaders and broadcasting Thaksin's speech instead? Would it have been more modern to support the coup?

Edited by Emptyset

Mingkwan Saengsuwan gay? How do you know that exactly? Is he out? If he is out and gets elected as Thai PM that most certainly is relevant. It would make international news as did Iceland's lesbian PM, Johanna Sigurdardottir (say that out loud for fun).

Didn't hear so much of Minkwan, but I know he looks like Alfred E. Neuman from MAD magazine :lol:. But they all say the same thing before elections. Promises promises, and after elected, neglect, corruption, more neglect, more corruption. THAT's the definition of politics in Thailand.

looks like alfred e. neuman bred with a chimpanzee. what a face for a leader, and trying to take him seriously!

looks like alfred e. neuman bred with a chimpanzee. what a face for a leader, and trying to take him seriously!

You judge politicians by their look?

Mingkwan Saengsuwan gay? How do you know that exactly? Is he out? If he is out and gets elected as Thai PM that most certainly is relevant. It would make international news as did Iceland's lesbian PM, Johanna Sigurdardottir (say that out loud for fun).

I don't think he's "out" as such, but it's well known that he's gay. Similar to Jakrapob, I don't think he's publicly acknowledged it, but it's just widely accepted. Incidentally when Mingkwan ran MCOT, there were a lot more attractive young male newsreaders.

Yeah I understand people high in Thai society can be gay and it's OK and not be out in ways not possible in western countries. However, every Thai who wears a pink tie and has effusive hand gestures isn't gay. I don't know how far he will go and I personally oppose his party, but realistically I don't think an OUT gay in the western sense could be PM here.

Edited by Jingthing

You judge politicians by their look?

Only at face value. rolleyes.gif

If Bush, W. didn't pull off the good old boy one of us LOOK, he would never have gotten elected.

Edited by animatic

This topic is not about the sexuality of a politician and further off-topic posts concerning the issue of sexuality will be deleted.

Please exercise discretion in your discussion about aspects of his life that may not be true or public and may cause problems for the forum.