Beach Recommendations

ddharder

I just arrived in Phuket today and have a hotel a short ways away from Patong Beach. So far I'm impressed by the cleanliness compared to places like India (which I loved, so don't get me wrong) but I feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a tourist trap at this current location.

The beach is not all that impressive and the tourists hoards and prices, well, I'm trying to keep a positive spin, so I'll let you fill in the blanks and move on with one small note, I would like to experience a little bit of "real" Thailand, not just a Hard Rock Cafe-type export, which I see everywhere here in Patong. A little background. I'm an American who has lived in Russia for the past 6 years, as well as several other countries before that, and I love experiencing the real cultures of other countries and getting to know locals as opposed to the tourist versions of them and just other westerners like myself.

I plan on staying in Thailand for a month minimum and perhaps up to two months. I would like to be near a nicer beach, but not so secluded that there is no nightlife available. Is Kata the best alternative?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated and I will follow up on them by visiting so thank you in advance.

I would like to experience a little bit of "real" Thailand, not just a Hard Rock Cafe-type export, which I see everywhere here in Patong.

Hum... Real Thailand has nightlife? Relatively speaking just about anywhere but Patong work be better. You have some time get out of Patong and check out other parts of the island. But if you're looking for nightlife, probably Kata...

Thais are not beach people in the same way Farangs are, but there are places where there are more Thais than Farangs. Try Cha-am, which is near Hua Hin, or any of the cities from Prachuap Kirikhan on south. Or from Phuket, travel north, try the Surin Island group in Khuraburi District, Phangaa Province. Regarding night life, people who think there is nightlife in only tourist places simply haven't lived as a Thai, or close to the Thais, in the outback. There is nightlife in every Amphur Meuang (district seat); the problem may be that as a Farang you won't know where to look, and may have no one to speak English with, or for that matter any language but Thai, when you get there. But if you want to find out what this country is really like, you'll have to be adventuresome. Khuraburi might be a good place to start, as there are still international aid NGOs left over from tsunami days there. The town itself isn't on the beach, but there are good beaches in a short distance north and south, and you can hop a boat to the Surin group from there. And there's a lively little nightlife scene there, which sometimes includes a few Farang night owls. Still real Thailand.

Try for instance Bang Saphan Yai at the Pacific coast in the south of Prachuabkhirikhan province. It is a small beach resort which attracts mainly Thai people from Bangkok, who are there only during the weekends. Nightlife is restricted to the Thai flavour: pubs with live music, and karaoke parlours.

Hua Hin might also fit your bill: it is an international beach resort which also gets a lot of Thai tourists, and besides nightlife geared for foreigners there is also plenty of local style nightlife. Patong only exists thanks to tourism, but Hua Hin is in essence still a normal Thai middle sized town.

Wherever you go, have a pleasant stay.

Edited by keestha

Try for instance Bang Saphan Yai at the Pacific coast in the south of Prachuabkhirikhan province. It is a small beach resort which attracts mainly Thai people from Bangkok, who are there only during the weekends. Nightlife is restricted to the Thai flavour: pubs with live music, and karaoke parlours.

Hua Hin might also fit your bill: it is an international beach resort which also gets a lot of Thai tourists, and besides nightlife geared for foreigners there is also plenty of local style nightlife. Patong only exists thanks to tourism, but Hua Hin is in essence still a normal Thai middle sized town.

Wherever you go, have a pleasant stay.

seconded

Patong and Phuket is a touristmachine

In Hua Hin you are in Thailand, but still have farang style restaurants and nightlife

Kata Beach is crowded by tourists, but more laid back than Patong